Facebook friends with students?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2011

:agreed:

2. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 30, 2011

I agree, too. You can be perfectly respectable and professional and have a facebook connection with your students and their parents. And the term "friends" is just the word facebook uses for that connection. It doesn't literally mean they are your friends.

I have students as friends. I have parents as friends. I have fellow teachers, the school secretary, the school nurse and principal as friends. I have people from central office as friends... It's all accepted in our school community. Is there a risk of inappropriate behavior? Of course, but that's a risk that we take regardless of the technology available to us. A pedophile is going to be a pedophile whether or not facebook is available. I'm *not* going to have an inappropriate relationship with a student. It's not who I am. Period. I know how to act online and in front of my kids, their parents and the community.

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2011

They're trying to prevent crime by banning evidence.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2011

Same with Farmville and Cityville "Neighbors." I just looked out my window and didn't see any of them.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 30, 2011

I love when students invite me to see their sporting events or other events. I go see my students in community theater all the time, or at cheer competitions, or soccer games, or mardi gras balls, etc. Wherever I'm invited, even to church once!

6. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

Personally I would not want students, parents, other teachers to have access to who my friends and family are. I am able to control my actions but I can not control theirs. We are judge not on our own behavior but who we surround ourselves with. I can untag myself from pictures but kids are nosey, they will investigate the friends and not all those people will have their profiles blocked. I would hate for a student to find out about what my aunt does or who my best friend is.

I remember hearing a story last year about a teacher fired over pictures found on her private facebook of her on vacation at a winery of her just holding a wine glass not even drinking it. How about the teacher who got fired over old Halloween pictures on a blocked Myspace page.

Not to mention the trouble that students and parents would feel that you are always available and it taking time away from your personal life.

I do have a facebook but would never add a student, parents or even co-workers. My page is unsearchable, I do not show up on friends list, no one can see tagged photos or even my friend's list.

7. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Jan 30, 2011

Ruby - do you mean that nobody can see your friends' list? If so, how did you do that? I thought one of the broo-ha-has was over the fact that any of your friends can see your list of friends. And how do you make yourself not appear on a friend of a friend's page as a "suggested friend?"

8. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Jan 30, 2011

AnonyMS - Go to you privacy settings and click on the first link of "connecting on facebook". There you can block the friends list. I have mine in groups so only certain people can see my friends list. For example I have groups such as "Close friends", "Family", "old classmates" ect and have even each of my photo albums blocked to certain people. I do not like my family have access to my friend information so they are actually the most blocked group. I also control who can see each status I post by using the "lock" feature under the status update post.

Also whats nice, since my FB is blocked and you post on my wall, It will not show up to anyone (expect you and our mutual friends) that you commented on my wall on your profile. It used to show up for everyone but now your friends can not see that you even posted on my wall.

FB has added more privacy, but as always there is a way around things. If I can get around and see anyone's friends list that I want on Myspace blocked or not... I can guarantee a student can also.

9. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I just got requested by a senior I had who graduated and I'm debating what to do. I've had my fb since I was a freshman in college and have thousands of pictures on there -- some of which are probably not meant for students. I think I need a major clean-up before I accept anyone who's not a personal friend.

10. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

I have a personal policy on this and do not "friend" any parents of my students as long as I am their teacher. At the beginning of the year, I go through and just do a quick search to see if any of my parents are on FB and if so, I "block" them so they essentially can't see my profile even in a search. I have become friends with one or two parents after their child had moved on to another grade, but not until that point. I do not have anything to hide, however I just feel parents don't need access to my life outside of school unless I feel like I want to share it with them.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

Our district has this policy about keeping all communication with students only through our work e-mail. We are not even allowed to e-mail students from a personal e-mail address and, of course, we can't add them as friends on facebook.

However, last week, our district decided to require teachers to make two home visits a year to every student's house. Weird!!

On another note. I don't really would like to have my students as friends on facebook. Some students I would but then how would other students I don't trust feel if I don't accept their requests? This would show big favoritism to some of them. Tricky situation I don't even want to get into.

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

This summer I need to communicate with a group of students who will be taking a test at the end of July. I'm communicating through e-mail but some of them don't check e-mail that often. I thought about creating a facebook just for this purpse but I can't because our district doesn't allow it.

13. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

Wow, home visits?? I've never heard of that. What is the purpose of the visit?

14. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

This was just proposed last week. We found out through the newspaper. Our district wants teachers to have stronger relationships with the students and get to know them better. I'm not sure if this is actually going to happen since some areas are really dangerous.

15. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

We don't have a written policy, but this is a big no-no in my book. I am not their friend and really have no interest in seeing all the crap they put on their pages that explains their behavior in school. Do I really want to see pictures of the drinking party this weekend? Nope.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

It blows my mind that some parents in my class allow their kids to even have FB pages, considering I teach 6-7 yr olds. Some of them do though! :dizzy:

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

Facebook is the devil's work. That said I have hundreds of kids that hit mine all the time. Mostly former but some current.
    They ask about PE and stuff. I am amazed that I can talk to a kid face to face but communicating in this manner is some sort of
    vodoo that will ruin us all. btw If someone post something bbbaaaddd I delete that person. Hasnt happened much

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

:rofl:

I don't have Facebook, but thanks for that. I do love this forum sometimes.

19. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I have a friend who teaches high school in California, her policy is to decline them until after they graduate. Only then will she friend them to keep in touch.

I have two teachers from my high school as friends on Facebook, for advice and because they were just plain awesome but they held the same policy.

20. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

I used FB to find my high-school history teacher. She was amazing and when my best friend asked me to find a history teacher to write a short column for a national non-profit...I knew who I wanted. FB was the quickest way to reach her.

But it is the Devil's handmaiden. No question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.