Facebook Friends After I Leave?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ACardAttack, Apr 24, 2010.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 25, 2010

Cerek has it nailed...it is all about perception. Who is to say you will delete the right one since your perception may widely differ from someone who doesn't know the person or just based on your own beliefs and experiences.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 25, 2010

I'm a male teacher. Therefore, I have to be even more aware of possible misconceptions about any relationship with a student. I chose the age of 21 because any hint of impropriety - even with an 18-19 yr old - would be far more serious than a perceived relationship with someone over 21. As CNG said, it is just best to err on the side of caution, especially in this day and age.

Is it moral of employers to use something from an employee's social internet page as justification for discipline at (or termination from) work? No, it isn't. Employee's are entitled to private lives and personal opinions about their jobs/coworkers/etc. But whether it is moral or not does not change the fact that employers DO use comments and/or pics on social pages to take action against employees and - so far - their actions have either been unchallenged or upheld (to the best of my knowledge).

So, given the fact employers CAN use the content of your social page against you, it is simply best not to tempt fate.

Personally, I would LOVE to have an FB page (school related) that I could use to accept Friend Requests from my former students so I could stay in touch with them as they go on through school, but after very careful consideration, I decided it simply was not worth the potential risk of misperception to do that.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 26, 2010

I am all for keeping the professional and personal in different spheres of your life; however in my life they do collide. I am friends with my coworkers because many ARE my friends outside of school. Teaching is a HUGE part of my life; it's all most impossible for me to exclude it from every aspect of my personal life. I also live in the town I teach in. I know a lot of my kid's parents and SHOCK I am friends with some of them on a facebook.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2010

Brendan, I don't think anyone is proposing cutting friends who also happen to be parents, or even neighborhood kids with whom you currently have contact outside of school.

I think the gist of the disagreement is about friending current students who, overnight, become former students.

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

I will accept most student friendship requests as long as they are no longer my student. My account is clean and there is nothing to hide. FB is always changing their privacy settings where often we are not as well hidden as we like to think. A few months ago I realized just how much info was available for anyone to see, friend or not (which I have changed).

A former student wrote this on my wall (which gave me a nice day)

"I wrote about you today in eng 101!
    There was an essay bashing school and teachers saying teachers were basically robots and teaching only the requirements with no outside interest towards students. I told them how you always gave us awesome projects and worked to get grants to give kids more outside classroom opportunities. =)"

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 26, 2010

I am friends with a former high school teacher. I think she has a similar policy about being friends with kids who graduate. She was awesome. There is even a fan page for her. I bet she doesn't like it, but it is all in good fun and everything on the wall is super nice because everyone loves this teacher. She certainly wasn't easy, but she was memorable and you knew she cared about you.

7. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 27, 2010

hmmm, I have never even though about looking up former teachers on FB. I wouldn't even add my crazy Great Aunt. I hadn't thought about having a pic with drinks on the table. Obviously I don't have pics of me totally drunk, but what is the problem with having a drink. Something that I am legally allowed to do. thoughts?

8. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Same here, not that I really have anything to hide. I dont get drunk, sure I have a drink with friends, but its in moderation and Im pretty laid back. No pictures of me making out with three girls or doing a keg stand cause I dont do that. If I did I would hide it/delete it, but its not who I am. Im the type of guy that parents what their daughter to bring home So I dont feel like there is anything to hide. I also dont make posts about people/organizations/government or anything that are negative. Everything I say is positive and really the most of it is me just joking with friends.

9. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Apr 27, 2010

I too am a friend of a former teacher from high school; he is actually the biggest reason I got into teaching.

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 27, 2010

Here are a few examples of what photos or comments on FB can lead to:

Ashley Payne fired for posting vacation photos.

Western PA teacher suspended over FB photo.

School employee over FB posting.

11. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 27, 2010

Two accounts...None of their business what your other account is or for them to see your cousin is upset because she burned dinner, or your mom is on vacation...toooo personal!!!! Sometimes it's nice to be in touch with former teachers. I am "friends" with my old English teacher and it's fine. But, then again, I am her age now when she taught me, so it's a bit different.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2010

I don't ever intentionally have a picture taken where there's booze in the picture-- certainly never in my hand. (And this goes back to way before facebook, camera phones or PC's)

If someone is going to form an opinion from me based on a picture, that's not the opinion I want, legal or not.

In this day and age, when employers routinely use Google and Facebook as a hiring aid, I would be pretty aggressive in this regard.

But again, each of us makes our own choices.

13. lsho

lsho Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

I agree with everyone who says they don't have friends they are professionally tied to as friends on Facebook. I keep my friend list to friends from college and that sort of thing. No family. No fellow teachers. No students.

Speaking of students, I'd never ever ever ever add a student even after they graduate (or are 21. Or 40). Nothing good could ever come from that. Plus, in my eyes, it crosses a line between teacher and student (even if the student is 18).

I'd play it safe and just hit "decline" on the requests from current or former students.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

I have dozens of ex students as friends on FB. They crack me up with all their problems and angst. But I catch up on their successes and failures. I will use it this week to find my seniors to invite them back to our elem school for our little sr reception.
    We have been inviting them back for many years since I started it. I love hearing from my old students.