Facebook for dummies??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Total whim, and I'm fairly sure I won't register.

But could someone give me a primer on facebook??

Tell me about walls, about privacy settings, about why you belong and what you do with facebook that you can't or don't do using other sites or media.

I'm well aware of the pros and cons. I'm just curious about what makes facebook such a big deal.

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

I am not the one for a tutorial session, but I will tell you that the reason I love fb is because i live 3,000 miles away from ALL my family and friends from before I moved to my DH's hometown. On fb I am able to catch up daily with my mom, sisters, other family, and besties.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 26, 2011

Privacy Settings: You can set your privacy levels to control who can, and cannot, see what you post. I have my "friends" separated into several groups. There are some posts that I just want my family to see, some that I'll share with my friends, but not the people I only know from online, and others that I don't care who sees. I can set each post to display only for whatever groups I select. You can also set your visibility. If you don't want anybody to be able to search for you, you can hide yourself, so if somebody searches for you name, you won't show up. I have mine set so that only friends of friends can send me requests.

Wall: This is a page that displays what you've posted, or what friends have posted directly to it.

News Feed: This is a page that shows what everybody has posted on everybody else's walls. So, if I post a status update, it shows up on my wall, but also in the news feeds of all my friends.

I like facebook because it's an easy way to stay in touch with my family 2000 miles away. I can share pictures of my kids and see pictures of my niece and nephew who live far away. If I want to share pictures of my kids, I don't have to send a mass email to a bunch of people, I can just upload them to facebook and everybody can see them. It's also a handy place to store digital photos. I don't have mess with uploading them to another site, then sending out a link, or attaching them to an email or whatever.

It's also nice to be able to keep up with friends that I normally wouldn't have the time to chat with. There's only so many hours in a day. I have lots of friends from "back home" and there's no way I'd be able to keep up phone and email correspondence with all of them. This way, I can "stay connected" without taking up a huge amount of my time...time I'd rather be spending with my kids.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Every Facebook user has a "wall", which is just a page where they can post interesting things and where others can post public messages to them. I think of walls as like your dorm room door where you put pictures of your favorite band and your best friend and you when you were out on the town.

Privacy settings on Facebook are a little tricky and hard to manage, at least in my opinion. How it works is that you can assign your Facebook friends to different groups (coworkers, family, classmates, whatever) and then when you post certain things, you can make those things viewable by certain groups only. I might use those groups to make a group of all my close, in-town friends and leave my husband out of the group. Then I could post information about a surprise birthday party for my husband where all our friends could get all the info but he would be kept in the dark.

I really like Facebook because it is so easy for keeping in touch with people. I have a very large, very dispersed family who I don't get to see as often as I like. It's nice to see pictures of my cousins and their new babies, movies of my nephew being a big ham, and that sort of thing. There are people who prefer more personalized letters and email, but for me I don't mind just clicking through someone's photo album. I like being able to share my stuff with everyone as well.

I also think that Facebook is good for reconnecting with people from the past, like old classmates who got lost in the shuffle of new schools, new jobs, moves to new cities, and all the other things that come with growing up. My best friend from high school found me on there and it felt so good to hear from her. I had missed her more than I realized.

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

Walls are lines where people post comments on that some people or all people can see according to your privacy settings.

You can set up privacy settings to anything you want. If you don't want anybody to find you, you can choose that. If you want only friends to see your profile, you can do that. You can even select what some of friends see from your profile.

I use it so that I can keep in touch with people and to know what's going on in their lives. I've connected with old friends from high school. I've also connected with some friends that I had in grammar school in Mexico. I get to know about their lives and see pictures about them.

When my daughter went to Europe last year it was easier to send her a message through facebook than through e-mails. It's just that accessible and easy.

I think facebook is a big deal because many people are on it and it makes you feel connected to so many people.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I talk to my 2 best friends from home on facebook chat almost every night. It's really nice because I can be typing to them while I'm doing other things, whereas with a phone conversation you're kind of stuck just sitting there talking on the phone. You can also talk to several people at once. I know for a fact we wouldn't have kept in touch as well (they still live in my hometown 12,000 miles away) had it not been for fb. In fact, I'm talking to one of them right now...I just periodically go back to my fb window inbetween doing other things. If I need 5-10 minutes to really focus on something else, I can tell them I'll be back and come back to the conversation no problem. I also use it to keep in touch with all of my other friends from around the country and make plans for when I'll be in that area using the "events" feature. I do occasionally use it to message people in this area, but I mostly use mine to keep in touch with people in other places. I imagine I wouldn't have been able to keep up with most of them as well without fb...I mean it's not like I have time during the school year to pick up the phone and have hour long conversations with the 15-20 people I try to keep in touch with.

I have all of my content set as "friends only" so that other people can't see anything on my page unless I've agreed to be friends with them. I am also "unsearchable" so people cannot type my name in and see anything about my page. If I write something on a friends wall, someone who is not friends with me can't see my post, even on their wall.

I've also enjoyed being able to keep up with other people from my college program and see who got jobs where and things like that.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I joined Facebook initially only to keep tabs on my younger siblings. They were allowed to have an account only if I did as well and could have access to their accounts. Then it grew from there. I have around a hundred friends and I would say at least seventy percent are family members. I have a massive family and we are so disconnected otherwise, so it's been lovely to actually get to know my aunts and cousins.

I mostly enjoy Facebook for the ability to share photos. I like seeing other people's children and animals and vacations and I like to share my own.

More and more businesses have made Facebook their go-to site where consumers can access customer service, coupons, and so forth.

I don't chat, I don't rack up as many friends as possible, and I don't update my status every single time I move from the kitchen to living room. :)

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

I have it because I've worked in 3 different states and one of those jobs formed friends and acquaintances around the world.

My family lives in several different states and I have no family here in Chicago.

It is just a quick and easy way to keep in touch with friends and family.

I do sometimes post on my wall more than I should. I also post fun pictures.

I have my settings set to private. I have to add people for them to see my account- though I am also careful of things and pictures I post.

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

I love it for keeping in touch with family and friends who've moved away.

Our family reunion was in Tennessee this year and I just wasn't leaving LI at my favorite time of year. Well, thanks to FB, I felt like I was there- cousins were posting pics to fb in real time! By the time my grandma returned and was telling me all about it, I already had seen pictures and was writing back and forth with them!

When my cousin lived in Argentina, I talked to her and saw pics of her through fb and was closer to her than when she lived 15 mins away!

As a teacher, you have to set your privacy settings to friends only....I know a lot of people do "friends of friends" however, you don't know if one of your friends is one that friends random people, then, that random person would be able to see your stuff.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 26, 2011

I'll ditto what everyone else has already said. Plus, I can't think if a single business that doesn't have a facebook page, not to mention public figures (everyone from Sarah Palin to President Obama to the Pope). Businesses often have facebook discounts or specials, which I take advantage of a lot. I follow my favorite radio station because they have fb contests and giveaways. I am friends with a few celebrities, although some of them post too much so I had to unfriend.

But mostly, its just handy to stay updated on things. Examples of recent helpful posts either by me or friends:

Raining in town, tball is canceled. (instead of having to make 15 phone calls)

Our electricity is out! Anyone else? (to which several neighbors replied, so that friend knew it wasn't just them)

Bing cherries on sale at GK! Only a few bags left! (I picked some up shortly after)

Little things, I know, but handy. Oh, one other-I found out last weekend while we were out of town that our neighbor died, so I was able to call with condolences right away.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I love being able to keep up with my family so easily. We're a big group (I have over 30 FIRST cousins), and through facebook, I can keep up with the whole extended gang. We get to share those little day to day events that we wouldn't be able to share if we only communicated once a week or month (or year) through phone calls and cards.

I also love how easy it is to upload and share photos. Facebook is the photo album of the 21st century! :)

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

Alice, nothing wrong with signing up and friending someone you trust (that is an active facebooker) and just seeing what you think. If you don't click with it, close your account.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

You could even friend me if you like. :D

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 27, 2011

I am very selective about who I befriend on Facebook. Absolutely NO co-workers (I don't want to talk about school on my days off!). I have a few friends from high school that I like to catch up with. I have almost no relatives who live within an hour of me so it's nice to see what they're up to. It's a great way to keep track of birthdays too. You can see which friends have birthdays in each month. I have at least 4 friends who's birthdays are in April and I can NEVER remember the dates so thank goodness for Facebook! My privacy settings are set so that ONLY friends can view anything on my page. I don't even have pictures of myself. Only my doggy :)

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I have my privacy settings set so no one can write on my wall. Sometimes people complain "I couldn't write on your wall." But, they can always PM me through Facebook.

I can't control comments people leave on posts that I've added to my wall (but I can remove them after they are up).

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

you could friend me!

I like facebook a lot, even though I initially resisted it. I am not a "friend hound." I only make or accept friend requests for people I really like and who I really want to know what's going on in their lives. I don't have a thousand friends - not even 150, as a matter of fact.

My mom is on facebook because she can easily get pictures of her grandkids and great grandkids on an almost instant basis. I like seeing what people are up to. Our staff is almost 100% on facebook, and it has helped us become closer. We've learned of births, deaths, engagements, etc via facebook. We use it instead of emails or phone trees.

It's a quick and easy way to give someone a snapshot into your life and stay connected to people who may not see you on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. My status updates might say something funny one of the kids said, or might ask where the best local place is to get carpet, or might have a picture of our new puppy (who is adorable). I don't talk school there, I don't complain in general, I don't brag (well, sometimes I'll post a swim meet win or something...). I never tell when I'm alone in the house, I never tell when we're going on a trip. I don't put up pics of other people's kids unless I've asked first.

You could always friend me, alice!!

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

someone said,

"Privacy settings on Facebook are a little tricky and hard to manage, at least in my opinion."

This is true. This is why I never put anything on facebook that I wouldn't want the world to see. But I do like the idea of making my wall so that people can't write on it. I've never had this happen, but a co-teacher had someone write some nasty song lyrics on her wall. She erased it, but not before about a dozen people commented on it - so we know those dozen SAW it, how many others did??

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Being that I am in Mexico, it's a great way to keep in touch with family and friends in the states. Because FB allows you to do status update, you almost always know what your friends and family are up to.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2011

There are educational pages to "like" too!

and News12, Newsday all put up the stories throughout the day...I love this!

NYTimes, The Today Show, Free Technology for Teachers, there are so many great ones out there to "like"

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

Alice, you can friend me. :)

I keep up with family, friends from high school that are spread out throughout the country, my daughter's school district, and a couple of celebrities.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

Alice, since Brian is growing older he may be interested as well, and I know many parents feel a lit more comfortable allowing their children to open an account if they have a better understanding of it all. :)

23. ChelZ

ChelZ Rookie

Aug 9, 2011

Facebook allows you to either be super private or not. You can control the settings. You can even make a setting that allows you to be the only one that adds someone...so no students can try to friend request you. Try it out! I just set my Aunt up on one and she loves it.

Anyone feel free to friend me. Message me and I'll send you my page:)

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 9, 2011

Alice, what did you decide? I like the idea of creating a page with a few friends and checking it out. Most of the AP ers are all FB friends.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2011

That's pretty much the only reason I can see myself doing it. The kids already know that the day they get an account, I get one too.

kc-- for now, I'm not going to bother. LIfe is busy enough; I don't need another headache or a reason to spend more time on the computer.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

OK, just looking through my page this morning:

A few updates from former students and co-workers.

A post from 365 things to do in my area - b-52's playing in an outdoor ampitheater for $35 - score!

A post from Wheel of Fortune, which I like to play through facebook.

Update from my salon about some new nail stuff - might check it out.

we have a private group page about my cousin so family can share updates and prayers. People have to be added in to see it.

Some articles posted by my best political pundit friend that I will read later and probably have some debating about with her and others.

Some posts from my friend in Korea.

Funny video my friend posted. Made me laugh this morning.

If I happen to be online at the same time as someone else, we can chat in real time. My sister and I have been chatting quite a bit like this over the summer since she is in NY at a camp and can't talk on the phone much.

Now admittedly within the useful stuff there are a lot of other posts that I just kind of skim over. You can also block posts from people if you are not interested.

It might not be a bad idea to get one as your kids get older and become interested. Many parents I know will not let their kids have an account unless they are "friends" with the parent on facebook, so the parent can monitor everything.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011

I got my FB account in college. Now I use it to keep in touch with family and friends who live far away. That said, I log on MAYBE once a month, usually only when my mom tells me that someone posted pictures or something! (Or when someone sends something to me--then I get an e-mail and can go on to check it) I like that I have it available as an option, though, and it's good for when I get a little homesick. :)