facebook class page

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lynnnn725, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

Has anyone had a facebook page for their class?

I know the dangers of the internet and facebook and all that, but I am thinking about doing a facebook page for the parents of my class. I would only accept friends that are parents of students in my classroom and only after they fill out a permission slip. The page would be totally private, but I was thinking it would be a better way for me to connect with parents since most seem to have a facebook anyway.

I will still do my weekly email to all parent with our peek, but I wanted an additional way to communicate. I just love the thought of sending "picture money due to tomorrow" reminders via facebook. I don't know why! lol

Did the facebook thing work well for you?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

I'd ask P. I asked and my district won't allow.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2011

Well, the appeal with Facebook is that many people do have it, check it often, and it's a free and easy method to connect and communicate with your parents.
    Some issues:
    1) do ALL of your parents have it?
    2) are you ready to let them have access to your facebook page? (what if you make a fan page instead? That way, they won't have direct access to your facebook page)
    3) approval from admins

5. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

I'd avoid it. There are more and more laws against such things now. Missouri passed one yesterday that says a teacher can not have any form of private internet contact with a student or former student. If we have a website, it must be completely private and parents and administration must have access.

I realize you're looking to make this for the parents but I would avoid Facebook and create a blog or if your district provides webpages for staff, I would use that. I think you're only setting yourself up for trouble if you use Facebook for the elementary level.

6. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 3, 2011

I kept having students (especially ones going off to junior high) send me friend requests on facebook, and I just couldn't add them. I have to keep my work and personal lives separate, ya know? However I did make a 2nd account that I ONLY use for school, and if I get a request on my regular account I'll point the kids towards there. I don't check it often, and it's mostly games and whatnot, but I like that the kids I'm not going to see every day can still get in contact with me if they need to. So that's my experience with school and FB :)

7. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 3, 2011

Wow, it makes me kind of sad that our society needs a law like that :(

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2011

If you have one be sure to set all preferences to "friends only". my niece's K teacher had a facebook page to connect with parents and share photos. I was really upset when I realized I had access to more than just the photos my SIL was tagged in because my neice was in them. I had access to her whole album. So, in turn, any friend of a parent in the class could view photos of my niece. That's way too many people IMO.

On the other hand, facebook has its advantages if you set it up with safeguards in mind.

9. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I agree. It was created because a woman (then a girl) named Amy Hestir was sexually assaulted by a trusted teacher. :(

10. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Originally in my school district, teachers weren't even allowed to have a Facebook page at all, even for personal use. That has since been changed, but I have VERY private settings on my page.

I've also taught long enough that some of my former students are in college and beyond. I'm wondering if the MO law applies only while the student is still in the public school system. A friend of mine had a former student as an intern teacher many years later, and they are now friends (including on Facebook). Personally, I don't find that kind of contact inappropriate in any way.

11. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 4, 2011

Not sure?

Currently a few of our teachers have them. I have a personal page anda school page. I NEVER click on students or parents for friends on my personal page. However, in Missouri, rumor has it that facebook communication between teachers and students is now against the law. I believe it's because private messages can be sent to students. I have a feeling that we will have to delete our pages. Not sure yet.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2011

FORMER students even after they graduate? I don't see how that can even be upheld if they are 18. I LOVE keeping up with my former grads on facebook.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2011

I don't FB and wouldn't sign up just to get class info... There are other (free) hosts on which you can create a class site.

14. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

I haven't read the entire law... just the summary the news keeps posting. However, I would think that it would only be as long as the kids are under 18. After that they're "adults".:rolleyes:

15. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

I have a personal facebook - with no ties to anyone in my school district.

I would create a class only page. No ties to my personal life at all. It is for parents, not the kids. I've had websites in the past. I just think it would be easier to update parents via facebook - something they naturally log onto, vs having to do to a page.

Thanks for all your replies!

16. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

In the past I would have thought that using facebook was a bad idea. On my personal facebook account I hyphenate my maiden name with my married name to make it harder to find. I do not friend parents or students on my personal account.
    That said, I am using a facebook this year instead of a class page.
    http://prezi.com/1i2xbmaorrzq/1st-grade-facebook/
    I stumbled across this presentation and it was the basis for me deciding to do a facebook instead of a class page. When signing up I put my last name in the first name spot and Class in the last name spot, so my page reads N******s Class. It is not connected to my personal account in any way. Some of my favorite things are that it allows kids to update about their learning, and that everything can be set to private. My previous website was through Scholastic and required a password for parents to log on. Scholastic retired their teacher page over the summer. I have some parents who like the privacy and the fact that their child's picture and schedule aren't exposed to the world, just other parents. I would recommend getting your principals approval before creating one though.

17. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

Yes, I would have my principal be my "friend" on that page. Thanks for the suggestion!

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 4, 2011

Facebook is one of the sites that's' blocked at my school.

I'm impressed by that link, though! :)

19. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2011

that link sold me! I love it!!!

20. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 4, 2011

I still need to run it by my principal, but I'm planning on doing it also! I think it's a great idea for quick reminders! I teach kindergarten so I need to relay message often! Of course I will still send home paper copies of the reminder, but parents always check fb on their phones even! What an effective way to reach them! Our state department of education even has a facebook page. I want to run mine like an organization...parents just "like" my class page. I won't be posting pictures of anything other than pictures of my empty classroom, or a far off bulletin board...;)

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

Blocked at mine as well, although I wouldn't make the choice to use Facebook in this way.