Facebook and Mature Users :)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Aug 2, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

I get a kick out of some of my older family members (60+) who use Facebook. A couple have no earthly idea how it works.

Example. My aunt just posted on her granddaughter's page, which shows up in my newsfeed since I'm friends with both: The Name-of-Mental-Health-Facility called and left a message. You can pick up your meds before they close today at five.

Yeah, I bet the teenager wanted THAT on her wall. :eek:
    I don't think she should feel ashamed, mind you...but she's nineteen.

And then another is always posting things like this as her status update: You left your jacket here. Do you want me to bring it over?

Clearly she thinks she's communicating directly to whoever left the coat.

Just funny. :)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

JustMe.... not facebook, but my gram was in a nursing home and failing, so my parents brought laptop so my sis could see her before gram passed. I was talking to my gram about Skyping with my sis. She said yup she was in that box, next you know they'll be on your phone. I didn't have the heart to tell her it is on people's phones. But it was so cute. In that box. Gram was 87...

Another gram is at a nursing home now and my dad found this list of instructions. He asked mom what is this. It's the instructions our daughter tells gram over the phone, so she can do stuff on her computer...LOL!!!

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 2, 2013

My parents have the same list...and they are barely 50! When I come home I see all of the post it notes around the computer with directions about how to add an attachment to e-mail, how to forward an e-mail, etc. which are all things they've called me about and asked me how to do. They finally broke down and got a computer when I was in HS because they realized I really did need it for school.

My dad recently got FB and he is one of those people that will post everything he does all day. He drives my mom nuts with it...she always complains that she can never tell anyone anything because they already know about it due to my dad's facebook.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

waterfall...How funny!!! Our you sure we aren't in the same family...that is totally my gram. Or it's next time I see you you need to teach me this or write this down for me...LOL!!!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2013

LOL! I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. My mom hasn't gotten an acct all this time & probably won't start now, except perhaps to do advertising.

My dad is not technolgically inclined at all & has no interest. He never even needed a cell phone. He's not even on their landline much.

None of my older relatives are on FB, Twitter either.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

My dad has a FB page (he's 80), but he doesn't really know how to go on it using his Galaxy. He loves technology, and gets all the new gadgets(except a cell phone, he uses Onstar instead).
    My mom does not have a CLUE how to use a computer. All she knows how to use it for is to play solitaire....

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

My birthday is at the end of December. I will be a mature user then...now I'm worried that I will become one of these people :eek: :lol:

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

It's funny... my dad was so resistant to technology. He seriously thought cordless phones were a fad and that I was wasting my money when I bought one. After a few months, it somehow got moved from my room into the kitchen. Same with cell phones. And computers.

Now, he loves technology. 70 years old and getting his first iPhone :)

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Aw, all cute stories. :)

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2013

When I left for college (1988) every electronic item in my parents' house had an index card of instructions taped to it. My mom was two years younger than I am now.

I bought Dad a cell phone for his birthday when he was in his late 60's. He wanted it because all his friends had one. :lol:

Recently Mom has been taken by my iPad. She thinks she might need one. :dizzy: She doesn't even own a television.

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

On the flip side, my MIL (over 60) lives for Facebook. She actually gets all petty/teenagerish if someone likes or doesn't like her photo. It drives my fiance bonkers because she will spend 20 minutes talking about it with him over the phone. :0)

13. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 2, 2013

I feel horrible for saying this but my older relatives always post bible stuff so I hide their posts. :( (oh and its not just the old ones but a good percentage is)

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Oh, I'd say a good thirty percent of my feed is biblical.

15. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

My mom (before I blocked her) used to post FURIOUS scolding comments on any of my posts that conflicted with her beliefs. Oh, they were nasty. The word "heretic" came up often. The Facebook rules are so mysterious to her.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2013

Hahahahahaha

17. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I can understand this, however my pet peeve is the negativity some people post. On a similar note, I find it rude when friends make a sweeping comment about the "stupid liberals" or stupid republicans" as if all their friends are the same political ideology as them.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2013

(60+) on Facebook.
    ah er I am 61 1/2
    I feel so bigoted against!

[​IMG]

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

IrishDave that made me smile! Thanks!

Concerning FB, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I can go weeks without even looking at it. There's so much narcissism for one thing and there's more but I think lots of it has already been discussed so I'll leave it at that.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 4, 2013

My parents are both in their mid-60's. My father knows more about technology than I do. My mother is a bit helpless with computer stuff, but if you ever need help with your iPhone, she's the one to go to. I haven't figured out how she can be so scared of computers but such a wiz on smart phones. It's kind of amusing.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2013

Oh, yeah...certainly not all "mature" users struggle and not all younger users have any common sense on Facebook either. My dad is very techy!

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2013

More from the "old side"
    [​IMG]

23. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

My fiance's mum typed in "restaurants near [our local area]" into the status box and it popped up as status. All her friends were confused and it was hilarious! She thought she was using google.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

That's funny! :)

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2013

I drive my 81 year old mother crazy when she wants to tell me about the sicknesses of my childhood friends and their parents, but I've already heard about it on something she refers to as the spacebook.
    Don't even get me started about the GPS. She never could understand how I was communicating with the woman in the "GSP" but then again, I'm not sure I really understand it.:)