Facebook and Coworkers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Julie9789, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Aug 22, 2015

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here goes.

What are your thoughts on "friending" fellow teachers at your school? Did you wait a certain amount of time? Did you friend them before the year started? Are you not friends with any of them?

At my first school, I waited until about January before I sent a friend request to the teachers on my team. It was a private school with a lot of "parking lot talk" so I was very selective as many of the teachers were also parents. This year, I will be at a new school in a totally different district and town.

I noticed my former coworkers, who also changed schools for this year, have already become "friends" with several people in their department or on their team after meeting them at New Teacher Orientation or Teacher Week.

Opinions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2015

Have you met any of your new colleagues yet? I think I'd wait to see who I 'clicked' with and start there.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2015

We have a large staff--including teachers, educational assistants, support staff, caretakers and office staff, we are close to 80. I am friends with about 12. For the most part, it's people I am closest to "in real life" or those with whom I have been involved in a special activity. I am not friends with all of my grade partners, and I have no desire to be; I interact with them enough at school. I also have a few staff members blocked--I have no desire to see what they post on other people's timelines. As czacza suggested, I would wait to see what dynamics are like in person before sending and requests.

Edited to add: If you do become Facebook friends with coworkers, please be very aware of what you post about anything work-related. I post on the premise that, if I wouldn't say it publicly, I don't post it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 22, 2015

At my old jobs, I was friends with all my coworkers. I usually waited at least a month before adding them, unless they friended me first.
    At my current job, I haven't really clicked with anyone (I've been here a month), so I'm only friends with one coworker (she is also new so we had that in common as well). It's also a bigger school (30-40 at my old job vs 100+ at my current job)

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2015

As a rule of thumb I am not facebook friends with any people I work with. Facebook has gotten to the point where even if you are not friends with someone and all their stuff is private, if a mutual friend replies or "likes" something you can still see it. While I am cautious to what I put on facebook, I don't want people out of my close circle seeing any of it. Most colleagues understand, even though they usually give me a hard time about it. :)

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2015

I'm not friends with a single person from the last two schools I've worked in. I actually don't 'friend' anyone. I'll accept if someone friend requests me, but I never send friend requests to anyone.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 22, 2015

I'm the exception. I've befriended many of my co-workers on FB, including my AP (she was originally my teammate and has been promoted twice). FB is where I tend to be very positive and upbeat about my career. Twitter, on the other hand? I am a little more snarky and keep that much more to the chest.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 22, 2015

I agree that you should wait and see who you end up being close to. I never post about work, but I think it's still good to keep your private life separate until you get to know people. FB can be tricky though. I kind of wish I would have just said I don't accept people from work on FB, like a pp said. I added my "real" friends from work, but then other coworkers that are also fb friends with them can see me on their friends list, and then they want to add me. I don't really want them on my fb, but it would be even more awkward to say "no" to the request when they can clearly see I'm friends with other coworkers. I'm also annoyed that fb has gotten rid of the "limited profile" option for privacy. Now if you don't want some people to see something, you have to click on their names for each and every post, photo, etc.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2015

I am highly selective about who (from work) I am FB friends with.

If I barely know them or rarely speak to them in person, I'm definitely not accepting their friend request.

I have no qualms about denying friend requests; I do it all the time.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2015

I should add- if there is someone I definitely do not want to be friends with, I will block them before they have the chance to send me a friend request. I blocked the AP from my school in NC. I've also worked with someone who was fired and sued the district. They were also blocked.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2015

It depends on how you view Facebook, really.

I accept all friend requests as long as it is someone I really do know somehow. However, not everybody gets access to everything. Only my closest friends have complete access to my page. Everyone under 18 and people I don't really know all that well and any drama-prone people are in a restricted category that means they rarely see things I post. Most people fall somewhere in the middle, seeing most stuff, and nothing that I wouldn't tell anyone.

I am good friends with several coworkers.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2015

I mostly friend the people I'm actually friends with though there have been some exceptions. I'd say out of our staff of 30ish, I'm friends with about 10. I'm friends with about 8 of those people in real life. I don't remember waiting that long to add people.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2015

I post so little activity on my page, that they don't know if I saw their request or not. If it's someone I want to be FB friends w/, then OK, but someone I don't, I won't. BTW, I've never been FB friends w/ someone from my school ever anyway, so I don't think about it much.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2015

I'm friends with a few of my coworkers on Facebook. I didn't add them until after a few months of knowing them.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2015

First of all, my FB is totally G rated and quite harmless, so I don't need to worry about professionalism being a problem. I am friends with many people at school, but do not extend that to admin or parents or even former students. I actually think it has helped our relationships at school. It makes it easier to strike up conversations with people who you don't see all the time.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2015

As I've said over and over again.

If you use Facebook as a venue to post your political rants, tales of drunken escapades, family drama, or general grievances about the world, then you probably do want to keep your social network limited to other like-minded miscreants.

But if you, as most people should, view Facebook as a place for only those matters which you wish the whole world to know about, then I don't think there is any problem accepting friend requests from anyone no matter who they are.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 24, 2015

[​IMG]

19. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 29, 2015

Does that not ruffle feathers?

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

Trust me when I say it will NOT ruffle feathers unless you go on and on about it. Surprisingly, most adults realize that they won't die without just one more friend who they never see, never socialize with, and couldn't recognize on sight if their life depended on it. And here is the kicker - if they DO care, but you still don't know them, why would that matter to you? As teachers we owe it to our sanity and our good name to pretty much lock it down on FB. If you really want to be friends with someone, pick up the phone and call. If that is too much trouble, the friendship wasn't worth much, was it?

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

But YTG is a principal and said he only accepts friend requests from some people at work. I think that may have been what John Lee was referring to.

22. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

Sorry, but I actually am not following your reply/train of thought. Why would YTG, being a principal who is selective in friending people, ruffle feathers? I would assume that someone in admin would need to be selective in who they would or would not want to share FB with. :confused:

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 30, 2015

Would it ruffle the feathers of someone whose request was denied?

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2015

I ignore friend requests all the time. I figure privacy issues and personal,preferences are why it's a 'request', not an open website for anyone to see.

25. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 30, 2015

I think it could be viewed as favoritism. We had huge issues with a former principal and this.

YTG - I love your posts and in NO way mean to imply that you would play favorites or be unfair.