Facebook and being a teacher????

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Aug 25, 2012.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Aug 25, 2012

ok- I am in a special ed. masters program- I am about to graduate and be a special ed teacher. I have a facebook page.... ok-- I have like 1,000 friends. ( like 900 of them I don't know)

I don't want to stop being on facebook- However, Do you think it would be a good idea to down size to a smaller page with maybe 100-150 of my closest friends and live a quieter life.

I've had it eight years, sometimes people cussed on my wall from eight years ago ( b4 I knew I would be a teacher)- and I kind of want a more professional demeanor
    I decided to start a new one... do you think it would be a good idea?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 25, 2012

Yes, I would downsize for sure. I don't know how you can be friends with 900 people don't know---who knows who they know who might be in your class?

If you go into privacy settings, you can restrict access to old posts.

4. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Aug 25, 2012

Yeah I've totally decided to not have anything to do with that page anymore. I started a new one and deleted my old pictures fromt the old one/ changed the name on the page/ then deactivated it and everything.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 25, 2012

Good idea! I have a Facebook as well, but I am careful with the privacy and what is posted there.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 25, 2012

That's a good idea! On your new page set everything to private, so only your friends can see anything. And then periodically test it. Maybe it's just for me, but when I post it's automatically set to to public, and I have to change it to private, which I often forget.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 25, 2012

I was told throughout my teacher preperation program not to use it because it will reflect poorly on you if one of your friends posts or does something stupid.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

How/why would you have 900 FB friends that you don't know?

I think that deactivating your old account was a good idea. I especially like that you deleted the pictures and changed your name on there, just in case. It's not the fact that you had a Facebook page but that you had basically a public page with hundreds of people you don't know having access to it.

I don't see anything wrong with teachers having Facebook pages. Just be smart about it, like anything else you do in your life.

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 25, 2012

I was told this by a few people as well, but one of my current admins said it is a good idea to have one as long as you are smart about it since people can still tag your name even if you don't have an account so it is good to be able to see if you are tagged.

10. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 25, 2012

I would narrow it down to those you know and trust. I do have three people on my FB (just over 100 total) that I do not know. One person sent me a note, that we did not know eachother, however we have a shared interest and can provide some support to eachother. A second I thought was someone I went to HS with, However, I think the name is the same...the person is not. The final person, I thought I knew from when I was growing up. However, after accepting the request I know I do not know her.

Other than that I know the people on my FB from elementary to high school, church, work, and family. I do get very annoyed with some of the people who the relationship is more distant and have been tempted to unfriend some of them.

I keep my posts and picts to high privacy. Only friends should see what I post. I also have to approve any tags.

I don't intend to get rid of FB. I also don't say I work for ____ district. (I've been tagged by people saying I work with ____ at ____. I always delete these. I tell them I don't want to connect my page to the district's) However, I sent the district a note through FB on a speeding bus... oh well.

Overall I think about what I post. How I respond. I also avoid posting on news forums, which connect to FB (in some cases). I do not want someone to bait me. I exersize caution both in my inperson actions in public and actions on FB. I also am careful because I have two high school students on my page. They sent me the request. My family took care of the girls from the time they were 6 months to 5 years.

My personal rule is not to accept friend requests from anyone I don't know (I've broke that rule twice) or who is a former or current student.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 25, 2012

Be an upstanding citizen on FB and real life and it shouldn't be a problem.

12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2012

All of this fuss over Facebook is starting to crack me up.

It's very simple. Facebook is like a billboard with your name on it. Don't put anything there you don't want the whole world to see.

"But what if someone tags me in a picture?" To that I ask, what are you doing in the picture that you don't want anyone to see?

Don't use Facebook as a place to brag about drunken escapades or rant about politics and you'll be fine. Don't get drunk and stupid outside the privacy of your own home and you'll be fine.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

A few years into teaching, I changed all of my privacy settings so that you can't find me (haha, I have to find you!), deleted old posts, and deleted some pictures... you know, Facebook used to a cool way to keep up with old college friends. Then they opened it up to everyone and it took over the world. Not very fun anymore.

Hmm. I feel a friend purge coming on.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

I'm careful about who I friend. I personally know most of the people on my list. I am a former Farmville addict. So, I have people on my friends list who are mostly relatives of actual friends that play Farmville.

There is one person who has a tendency to swear in his posts. He's a special person with some challenges.

15. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

I ask myself this every day. I even debate whether to delete my facebook and make a new one...but it would be a pain adding my friends again. But every day I delete bad comments, statuses, pictures, etc. Let's just call it "spring cleaning". I wish it was easy to just delete it and start anew...

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 3, 2012

It is easy.
    You just do it.
    Your career is worth it, right?

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2012

You can now do that. Used to, it never really went away...but now you can make it disappear. :)

I don't worry about. And I, gasp!, sometimes even get political.

18. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 3, 2012

I'm thinking of keeping my current one, make a new one, maintain both for a bit, and then delete the previous one. Or do what my boyfriend did and put his first and middle name (he's an NYC worker too).

But as of now, I stay away from religion and politics on that site, and make sure I don't get tagged in not-so-appropriate content/pictures.

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2012

I will accept friend requests from just about anybody if I actually know them in real life. That means parents of students as well.

Never a problem because I don't post drama, political rants, or complain about work. And for the last 50 years of my life, I've avoided doing anything scandalous in front of a camera.

I realized recently, that the school parents who are on my FB reveal far more about themselves than they will ever learn about me.

I guess there is the off chance that one of my other facebook friends might make an inappropriate reply to one of my posts, but that has never happened.

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 7, 2012

You can fix your settings to where you have to approve tagged pics by friends. I had to fix my pics where someone couldn't tag themselves in my pics. Nothing bad about the pics but she would tag herself in random pics I took. Who knows why but it was weird.

21. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

This for me too. When I first got facebook *back in the day*, I would friend anyone and everyone who went to the same high school or college as me just cause. Now, every time I see an unfamiliar face pop up on my wall I delete them. Lots of times it's on their birthday. Oops:rolleyes:

I had a policy against friending teachers I work(ed) with. But I decided to friend a teacher who I am actually friends with. I had to delete her because she is friends with students (why would someone do that?) which meant if she commented on any of my pictures, the students could see it on their wall. Not okay.

One of my friends recently "filtered" out her friends by posting for a week or so that she had made a new account, and gave a link. By the end of the week if you weren't a "real" friend, you probably hadn't friended her new account and therefore got left behind when she deleted her old account. I think it worked really well. She now has about 100 friends (down from over 1000).

22. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 9, 2012

Yea. People think Facebook is a popularity contest. It's annoying.

And teachers friending students is a terrible idea. Even professors friending college students. Very unprofessional...

I think I might go with the 2 facebook accounts idea, and then delete the old one. Re-uploading some of the pictures (appropriate ones!) will be annoying, though. Eh, might be a good idea.