Fabric (or other?) for Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by glitterfish, Aug 24, 2009.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I have way too many bulletin boards in my room, and I would really love to cover them with simple fabric. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, in fact I would prefer some solid color without cute patterns. My dilemma is that it's so expensive! A few other ideas I've considered are sheets or table cloths, but I'm not finding anything that seems to be a great enough price for me. I feel like I could end up spending a few hundred dollars on this. Uggh!

Does anyone know of a good place online to buy fabrics for around a dollar or two a yard? I know one used to be able to find fabric this cheap at Walmart, but most stores have discontinued this. I've been looking online, but a lot of the websites I've looked it have minimum purchase requirements and seem to be aimed at stores or something.

Who else uses fabric or what else have you had success with?

(I can't stand covering boards with paper because I hate changing it throughout the year and it never seems to last "nicely enough" for my liking.)

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Quite a few teachers in my building have painted their bulletin boards recently. So far it still looks good.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2009

Does it have to be on-line?

It really depends upon where you live. There are some Family Dollar Stores that sell fabric, some Walmart stores still have the fabric selections, and Jo-Ann still does dollar fabric specials in my town.

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

I purchased broad cloth for my bulletin boards. It's less than $2 per yard (usually closer to $1.50).

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

K1teach, paint is a great idea. Do you know if they used a special kind? Just regular paint that you might paint walls with?

Shouldbeasleep, it doesn't have to be online, but everything around where I live seems overpriced. I went to JoAnn today and the cheapest I could find (on sale) was $5 a yard! I found a coupon online for 40% off, but it's still a bit expensive for me.

Teacherpippi, what is broad cloth and where do you get it? (I don't know much about fabric/sewing stuff!)

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 24, 2009

Fabric isn't that expensive in the long run. I put fabric on my bulletin boards when I moved to my classroom in 1998 . . . and it's STILL on the boards. I just change out the lettering and border.

8. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 24, 2009

There are some nice, plain fabrics you can find at Walmart for around the $2 mark if I remember correctly. JoAnn's also has some good deals, but they do have more pricey stuff.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 24, 2009

Ima, I'm the same way! I put this pretty blue fabric on my board SEVERAL years ago as a sky background and I've left it up there ever since! It still looks good, too! Change out the border and the stuff on it!

10. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Aug 24, 2009

You can find broadcloth at Joann's. I purchased some this year-$1.87/yd. When you go to Joann's look for the wall of fabric bolts (all solid colors) it will be in the quilting fabric section. That plain fabric is called broadcloth and holds up great on BB.

11. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

I got it at my local fabric store. I don't know what it is, I just know it's inexpensive! :lol:

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

A friend of mine got twin sheets from Walmart (flat) and put that on her BB for $3. She said they fit perfectly. Not a big selection in colors, but who cares. They looked good.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 24, 2009

My Mom recently bought me about 4.5 yards of 2 different types of fabric that are really cute. However, I think it came out to be $9 per yard :( She had some thick fabric she wasn't using so she gave me that to use too and I put that up recently in my room. I like how the fabric looks and feels a lot better than the paper.

I have one more small bulletin board to do and I'm going to a curtain store near my house in hopes that I can find a simple, but cheap panel curtain I can cut into the right size. I find that buying a pre-made curtain is often cheaper than buying fabric.

14. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 24, 2009

You have to look through Joann's because there are some great fabrics right now on sale for $1.99 / yard. I bought an orange w/ white polka dots, a black with different colored dots, and a teal and lime green w/ dots. I think I spent under $10 to do my whole BB.

Get the teacher's discount card while you're there too because it's an extra 15% off.

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 24, 2009

I use plastic tablecloths from Dollar Tree, and have been very satisfied with them.

16. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I just grabbed some tablecloths from Target this afternoon as an alternative plan. I'm skeptical about how they'll hold up, though. Good to see that you like them, TeacherGrl. How do they hold up with the staples? Are they creased when you put them up?

I'm going go search through JoAnn's again tomorrow. I got scared away by some stuff I saw for up to $15/ yard. I'll give it another look.

Has anyone done paint? What kind?

17. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

When you go to JoAnnes look for the clearance fabric. Much cheaper. I can almost always find what I need for $2 yard or better. Look at the width of the fabric, too, as you are considering price.

I put material up on two of my bboards 4 years ago. They still look great and I spent less that $5 on them.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 25, 2009

19. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for all your great tips, everyone. I kind of get stressed about bulletin boards. I feel I always end up investing way too much of my time and energy on them when I could be doing something more important. Ugh! I don't necessarily mind the creative aspect of it; it's just that I have way too much other stuff to do and I find myself spending DAYS getting them all put together.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 25, 2009

My favorite was to use a stretch knit fabric that I purchased at Wal Mart for no more than $2 per yard. Sometimes I found it for $1 per yard. One year I used a sheet and I was very disappointed. It looked sloppy. The stretch knit could be pulled very taut and looked neat. I used navy blue and it didn't fade.

21. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

In the beginning they do have creases in them, which makes me nuts. But when you put something ON the board, you realize how little of the background you actually see. And I don't really staple on my boards that much. One tablecloth has my jobs on it, which I just switch around sticky tac bees on. The other board I hang work on- I stapled a rope over the tablecloth and put clothespins on it, and I just switch out the projects on the clips, so the tablecloth is never disturbed.

22. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

bought my fabric at Hobby Lobby

23. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 25, 2009

I get all my fabric out of the clearance bin at Walmart. Most of our Walmarts still have fabric departments and the ends of the fabric rolls or miscuts are 40% off. Look for a clearance bin at Hobby Lobby or a store like that. Just make sure you measure your boards and carry the numbers with you to make sure the fabric is big enough. If the boards are really long, you can buy two fabrics and divided the board in half with the corrugated bulletin board border.