Fabric...fake plants...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissWull, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 29, 2007

Where is the best place to find fabric for bulletin boards, and also maybe fake plants...like a hanging vine type? I've looked at craft stores for the plants and they are almost $15 for a short length of vine!!

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Apr 29, 2007

good will? salvation army? Thrift stores?

4. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Apr 29, 2007

ebay

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Apr 29, 2007

I bought bulletin board fabric (remnants) at Walmart this year. There wasn't a huge selection of colors, but I got a light blue flannel that has been perfect. Try a dollar store for fake plants/flowers. Good luck!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 29, 2007

Fabric and silk flowers are two things I wouldn't buy second-hand. They both come with tons of dust and it isn't worth it to try and clean them. Wal Mart has fabric for $1 a yard and inexpensive flowers as well.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

You can buy table cothes at the Dollar Store. They work wonderful for a dollar.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2007

This is what I use as well--the colours don't fade and they are far lighter and easier to work with than fabric.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 29, 2007

I like the idea of table cloths!

Also... I got my fabric at JoAnnes, it was on sale. It wasn't too bad but I used it to cover almost a complete wall, so it seemed like a lot. Also, I got a really cute flower pot with colorful flowers for my desk at Wal Mart.

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 29, 2007

I use Dollar Tree tablecloths on my bulletin boards as well, and got the teacher next door into them. I put up solid color, generic cloths that I could use with any board, have not changed my backgrounds this entire year. Eventually I would love to be the teacher with the fabulous bulletin boards that change every season, but as a first year teacher going to grad school I just don't have the extra time, money and energy to be putting into my bulletin boards! I'd rather put it into my kids. The tableclothes are fantastic, I'd definitely recommend them.

11. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Apr 30, 2007

I don't know about at walmart, but I know Hobby lobby's remnants are 75% off always! I love the tablecloth idea

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Apr 30, 2007

I love the tablecloth idea. It seems even easier than the material I'm using. I'll have to try that when I move to my new school next year.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2007

You can always change the border for something seasonal. Three sets (Autumn, Snow and Spring) will get you through the year. If you're careful putting up and taking down, they'll last for quite a number of years.

Also, consider wallpaper for the boards. I've found rolls for $1 or so, and they last forever. They don't fade and they're durable.

14. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 30, 2007

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! I guess I should have specified that I only need it for a project for my credential, so it doesn't have to be too sturdy to withstand years of being put up and taken down. I don't know why I didn't think of the $ store! That would be the perfect place to go.

:thanks:

15. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Apr 30, 2007

That was my trick Alice! I have 2 large boards to use in my room, 1 has navy blue and 1 has red. When I went to buy borders I specifically picked ones that would work with those 2 colors so that I didn't have to change the colors. Sneeeeaky sneaky! Worked, though!

16. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Apr 30, 2007

dollar tree for flowers....walmart has cool fabric for $1/yd

17. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Apr 30, 2007

Why not buy cheap white cotton fabric and have a batik or tye dye session with an after school club?

It goes over really well with younger students and the older students can do printmaking or screening with stencils to make themed fabric. Art curriculum and fun at the same time.

Just a thought.
    Mr. Skinner :D