Fabric bullitin boards, any tips?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Aug 19, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

The paper at our school is old and brittle and faded. What do the teachers do with this paper? I'm at a new school/district this year...Come to find out they all use fabric. I've never done this before. I like the look. Any tips you can offer on how to do this? How to cut? Any don'ts? Help, because I will be spending the entire upcoming weekend on this new project.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Depending on your bb size, you can use a bed sheet and staple it.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

I preferred the stretch knit fabric because if I made a mistake in cutting, it was forgiving. I kept a navy blue fabric for a couple of years and loved it. It never wrinkled or showed any marks and the staples came out easily.

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 19, 2014

I agree, stretch fabric is easy to use. Just don't buy the super stretchy fabric. I bought some designed for swim suits once and it was horrible to put up! A little stretch is nice.

Most of my fabric is not stretchy though, and it's still pretty easy to put up.

Buy a little larger than you need, put it up, then cut the excess from around the bulletin board. You'll be able to reuse it every year. Or, if your district doesn't require bare boards at the end of the year, it will last many years.

As far as patterns, I've seen some wild fabric on boards. It's eye-catching, but any message or student work gets lost in the pattern. Just something to consider. I use solids and small or subtle patterns.

Have fun! You'll really like your boards when you're finished!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

I agree with that. Some of the fabrics are cute, but I prefer the solid, dark color.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 19, 2014

This is awesome advice!

I used the same fabric for two years in a row. Got tired of the same colors after the 2nd year, but it could've lasted much, much longer.

8. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

fabric

My advice is to pull the fabric tight before stapling, to prevent it fom looking wrinkled and bunching up. And I always staple the ends first, pulling it nice and tight, and then the top and bottom. I have the fabric store cut it to size for me so I don't even have to trim it.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

If you go with a pattern, do a 'random' type pattern. Stripes or chevron get tricky because they need to be straight.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2014

I've done this so many times that I would consider myself an expert now. ;) Here are my tips:
    -I buy cheap cotton fabric from JoAnn's Fabric. I always stick with solid colors. I currently have black, and I LOVE it.
    -I measure first, and buy more than I need. Measure each board in yards, otherwise you'll have to convert, round, and estimate while you're at the cutting counter.
    -Bring an ironing board and iron to school with you. The creases drive me crazy!
    -I've used thumb tacks, staples, and duck tape (on chalkboards) to put it up. I currently have staples holding mine up, and it's held up really well for over a year.
    -If you can, have an extra set of hands to help. It's nice to have someone to pull it tight while you pin it.

It's kind of tricky to get it right without wrinkles, and you may have to play around with it a bit.

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

Aug 19, 2014

I agree that black looks great! Mine is a stretchy fabric, but everything just pops on the black background.

I've never had to iron the fabric. If I pull it tight enough, the creases are gone the next day.

I once had the same fabric on some particularly difficult to cover boards for almost 10 years. They didn't get direct sunlight, and looked just as good after all that time as when I put it up. Just needed fresh border every couple of years.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

I put camo burlap on mine this time for my Duck Dynasty them. I had blue cotton blend on there before. Left it on up behind the burlap.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

I hadn't thought to do this, but I know that I would be looking for sheets at thrift stores to cut down on costs. Where I am at, fabric stores are going the way of the dinosaur, and getting expensive. I also have more than one board to do, so think that a well made staple in the cotton line would wear well. Thanks for the hints. I admit, I don't need cute so much as neat and adaptable.

14. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

To get neat and straight lines from 100% woven cotton fabric, make a small snip past the selvage and rip it. Selvage is the edge of the fabric that's usually white with the test colors on it, and is more closely woven then the rest of the fabric. The fabric will rip along the grain line, resulting in a straight line. You do have to have more fabric than you need, though. It works well for bed sheets.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

I suppose that if one was handy with their sewing machine, as opposed to using it as a dust magnet, one could actually put in a small hem, for boards that are all the same size, used over many years, etc. My sewing machine and I aren't even on a first name basis, but maybe we could get acquainted.

16. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

You could also get out the pinking shears and pink the edges. Low tech all the way!

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

I love it! My sewing machine and I are almost total strangers, but I feel that I could have a relationship with pinking shears! ;)

18. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

I love my sewing machine (and just sewed myself a new back to school skirt), but I don't think I could bring myself to bring out the iron and hem fabric for a bulletin board.

I'm glad I could introduce you to pinking shears! I hope you have lots of happy memories together! :)

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Thanks all, these comments are a great help.

20. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 19, 2014

I may need to invest in fabric for bullentin boards! These post have me excited, lol!

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 19, 2014

I love that you need to be on a first name basis with your iron, but not your sewing machine or pinking shears.:rolleyes:

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 20, 2014

I never card what the edges looked like because I put a border over them! Borders hide a multitude of sins!

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 20, 2014

So true-especially if you double up the borders like I do. ;)

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 20, 2014

Oh, yeah; they were layered up pretty good. Haha.