Fabric background on walls?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by srh, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

I am a NON-SEAMSTRESS. In fact, fabric stores are very intimidating to me! :D But one of the teachers in my school did some awesome looking walls last year, using fabric. I remember she told me to look for the 60" wide for better coverage, and to buy only cotton (no knit!). That makes sense to me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any tips for me to consider. I'd love to try this out but don't want to waste money if I mess it up!! Help?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2007

At my school that would be a big fire hazard. Before you spend any of your own money, you might want to double check that it's okay.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2007

Were they walls or bulletin boards? I use fabric on my bulletin boards and it is very easy to put up (staples!) and lasts forever. We have cinder block walls, so I wouldn't know how to use it there.

5. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

Well, I'm in a portable, so they're regular walls, not cinder block. (Staples and push pins work well.) But I guess I'd say they're made to look like bulletin boards, with trim and all. I just thought they looked very classy and gave some options you don't have with plain paper.

Do you have to fold over the rough edges or anything, or does a border take care of all that? I'm just wondering if there are any DOWN sides, other than potential fire hazard. (Although I'd think that fabric would be safer than paper!) I think we're okay with that one, since they're already used in my school.

6. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 9, 2007

I used fabric on my wall this year. The fire marshall did not tell me to take it down. I got a lot of compliments on it. The teacher across the hall had more fabric up than I did. It doesn't fade and staples don't damage it.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

I have a nice blue color cotton on one of my boards. I put it up a few years ago for a "window" board design and have just kept it up! I love the vivid blue that it is, so I just work that board around the blue. I have other boards I change out with various colors.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 9, 2007

Yay! Now I'm anxious to get to the store...I guess stapling the border around the edges onto the fabric is good enough to cover unfinished edges, right? And a few well-placed staples inside will keep it where it should be! I can't wait to plan out a couple of different walls. THANKS, ladies!

9. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 9, 2007

Yep, the borders will take away the rough edges. I've made one big bulletin board using fabric and plan on (eventually!) putting fabric on my smaller bulletin boards as well.

10. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 9, 2007

i'm also not a seamstress! i put fabric over some hideous closet doors and staple-gunned them in the back. it looked great in front but uneven and ragged when the kids opened the closets... so i taped over the ragged edge with a "border" of colored duct tape (the Duck Tape brand). i found the tape in neon green and purple (among other fun colors) at Target. it looked great, stuck all year long and helped secure the fabric.

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 9, 2007

I use LOTS of fabric. Velcro and hot glue are great for hanging it if it's not a a bulletin board.

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

One of the smartest things I ever did was to decide to use fabric on my bboards! If you get tired of the fabric, you can take it down and use it for something else. I love it. I reuse, reuse, reuse....:p

13. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 10, 2007

Yep--I can just see my classroom now... new stacks of bins labeled Fabric: Holidays; Fabric: gingham checks; Fabric: clouds...etc. HAHA! Something new to categorize!!

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2007

I am using just a little bit in the reading/writing area next year, but our fire marshal would not want me using a lot. I use it on my bulletin boards all the time... but may I ask how the teacher across the hall stuck it up? Hot glue?

15. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 11, 2007

Teacher Chele, are you talking about putting it on a cinder block wall? Doesn't the hot glue burn a hole in the fabric? I would like to put some on my wall in the reading corner. Please explain how you do it.

16. Sterlingrio

Sterlingrio Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I had a teacher friend introduce me to using vinyl table cloths on bulletin boards. This is really great for me, a special needs teacher, I use alot of velcro for picture schedules and it's easier to get the velcro to stick to the vinyl.

And, wow, easy to cut, no ironing, and festive-- vinyl table cloths- great alternative to fabric.

Also Command Adhesive by 3M can be used in place of glue gun or ticky tack as you can pull it away without damaging the walls-- wether is be concrete or drywall.

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I have not tried it, but I hear that using a starch solution will work for putting fabric on walls. It is supposed to clean off easy and not harm the walls. For a more permanent solution you could probably use flour and water...

18. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

19. txhiatt5

txhiatt5 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Starch!!!!

We use "calico" cotton fabrics on our bulletin boards and on our cinder block walls. Staples and a cute border on bulletin boards works great, looks great, doesn't rip or show staple holes.

We do use a starch solution for our cinder block walls. You cut the fabric to size, soak it in a tub with starch, and wring it out really well. Get a friend to help pull it out straight and put it on the wall smoothing from the inside to the outside. It will stay up ALL year and the temperature of the walls doesn't even affect it. We then put up bulletin board border with "sticky tack" or double sided tape like 3M after it dries (usually 24 hours). Hope this helps :D -- Jess

20. txhiatt5

txhiatt5 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

Starch - more!

I forgot to say that clean-up with the starch is super easy. Starch is water soluable so a wet rag will wipe it off after you take the fabric off the wall. PS - our fire marshall has never said anything about it and we have fabric all down or main hall and covering most of our bulletin boards. - Jess

21. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

The fire marshall issue was my concern. Ours is new and a jerk. He said we can only cover 20% of our wall space and can have absolutely no paper on the door. I put up as much on the wall as I think I can get away with and then decorate everything else in sight to keep my room from looking cold.

22. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

srh i have done what you are talking about in a portable that had no bulletin boards. So i stapled up fabric and border to make faux boards. Its easy. I took an exacto blade/box cutter to the edges that stuck out under my border when i was done to clean up the edges a bit. Just pull it tight and start in a corner. A staple gun makes it way easier and faster, you can get one at walmart for about 5 bucks.

23. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Thank you, txhiatt5! This is great and I will try it for this school year.

24. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I used fabric on my walls & it looked great (I didn't change it for 4 years!) - the teacher next door to me used flat sheets - she got them in solid colors for cheap at places like Wal-Mart or Marshall's.

25. bennybestin

bennybestin Guest

Apr 12, 2018

For wall hangings, fabric wall hanging is the best. It looks esthetically pleasing appearance for any setting and will absorb unwanted noise to help achieve a comfortable sound level. It is suitable for the standard ceiling grid system and is an easy way to enhance the acoustic quality of the room

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.