*eyeroll*

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Oct 31, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 31, 2019

Rolling eyes with super annoyed look on face when asked to do something like stop talking and get to work... Something to address, or something to ignore? What's your vote?

I'm particularly asking about upper elementary although I'm interested in hearing from teachers of all ages.

[​IMG]

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 31, 2019

I address it. It’s disrespectful. We don’t always like what we have to do in life, but that’s how it is. They have to learn how to express themselves appropriately.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 31, 2019

I teach middle school. :rolleyes:

It is eye roll central. Not usually the hill I am going to die on. Sometimes I tell them to stop rolling their eyes. Sometimes I roll my eyes back. Sometimes I ignore it.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Nov 1, 2019

It really depends on if you want to fight that battle or not.

MrTempest and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 1, 2019

I would politely thank the student for complying. Most effective is if I can express my appreciation later, such as quickly mentioning it in the hall while transporting to another class, or right before/after lunch, recess, etc. In other words, my reaction can encourage the student to be more socially cooperative. However, I might also address the student's nonverbal responses; it depends on the severity of the situation. I would use a polite "whenever" message, such as, whenever the class needs to complete their work, your cooperation is important to get things done.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

Some of my students are well on their way to that middle school attitude already ;) Middle school teachers are special people, IMO!

Tired Teacher and Obadiah like this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

I addressed it with a first grader yesterday. I just made a joke out of it - with an exaggerated voice, I just said "Did YOU just roll your eyes at ME?", then gave her the "teacher look", and then smiled. It sent the message that it was not appropriate, but it also didn't turn into a big "thing".

Tired Teacher and Obadiah like this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 1, 2019

Eye rolls are not something that I will even acknowledge, let alone address. Why give them the satisfaction of getting a rise out of you? As long as it is quiet and doesn't become verbal, walk on by. You get the last laugh, anyway, because if the eye roll is accompanied with refusal to do the work correctly, the grade will say it all in the long run.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 1, 2019

Usually it’s an eyeroll, grumpy look, and then complying with the direction, so I tend to let it go because the ultimate goal (getting the work started) is accomplished. I agree it’s rude though! I have one student who’s done it repeatedly and I’ll probably talk to her about it if it continues. I have a feeling she doesn’t even know I notice (they think they’re so sneaky haha).

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 1, 2019

Yes, they are pretty confident in their ability to put things over on teachers - or so they think. I figure most of us were about as subtle at their age, and we turned out OK. I use that as my rationale. If they don't turn out OK, I seriously doubt that getting called out for the inconsiderate, but non-violent response would change the eventual outcome. Who knows, maybe I'm just pragmatic about these things!

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 2, 2019

You all, seriously have to believe me....lol I never learned to "roll my eyes" probably until about my 30's. I am just guessing that I picked it up from a group I was around a lot then. Even though I picked up the habit, I was totally unaware when I did it. I'd do it if someone said something that seemed ridiculous to me, I'd guess.
    Then someone brought it to my attention. ( A boss! lol) Although it was embarrassing, I am glad she told me because I did not realize I was doing it. We have a sped teacher who rolls her eyes at most of us a lot and to me it looks hostile and feels like she is just blowing us off. ( I am doubting that she is even aware because she walks around and sits in a defensive position. Her body language sends the message of : "You all don't have a clue." )
    I don't really want to make people feel that way. Personally, I was glad someone told me. The kids probably learn it from their parents or peers. Some teens may be doing it to be defiant. I really believe others do it automatically w/out thinking or even being aware of it.

13. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Nov 3, 2019

I typically ignore it and don't address it (I teach HS). It's not going to be my hill to die on, esp. if they end up doing what I asked them to do. If I say anything, it's probably to say, "Thank for you starting your work" or whatever it is they're doing. Occasionally, depending on the situation and student, I may jokingly say something like "Oh my! So dramatic!" with a little chuckle.

Snotty/rude/disrespectful tone of voice or actually saying something out of line to me--that I will address.

bella84 likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 4, 2019

They probably get away with it at home so it's just a habit now. I would probably ignore it.