Eye twitching

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peregrin5, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 1, 2016

So I've developed an eye-twitch. It's really annoying! I feel like it makes me look more stressed than I really am.

I'm wondering as to the cause of this. It could be computer eye-strain. Possibly stress, as that's the most common cause, and we are teachers, but I feel like I'm not a very stressed out teacher, although I do just kind of bury my stress and force myself to be calm, which I don't know, maybe means my stress is subconsciously bubbling to the surface? No idea.

I've heard of other members developing an eye twitch. What did you guys do to fix it? It's not a huge issue. Mainly just an annoying distraction.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2016

I have found I get eye-twitch from computer eye-strain, eye-strain in general, too much caffeine, dehydration, lack of restful sleep, some medications such as real Sudafed, stress, and sometimes if I am getting a cold. My eye twitches a lot! LOL

It is so annoying.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 1, 2016

I get an eye twitch when I haven't gotten enough sleep or when I'm stressed.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 1, 2016

lol! I think it's probably computer eye strain mostly in my case. I did some eye relaxation exercises and I can definitely feel that my eyes felt pretty strained comparatively after relaxing them.

I feel pretty relaxed (at least compared to some others) on the whole.

I hope it goes away. It only started last week. o_O

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 1, 2016

If you're talking about your eyelid, I get this all the time and it just goes away on its own. I've heard it's either stress or lack of sleep!

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2016

Same here. I get them occasionally and sometimes they last days, sometimes just a few hours. It eventually goes away.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2016

This.

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2016

I get the twitch if I'm doing a lot of grading or computer work. I learned a few exercises that can help. One trick to help prevent it is when you're working on our computer, every few minutes, look off into the distance and focus on something far away. Apparently part of what can cause the twitch is when your eye muscles are constantly focused on something near (like your computer screen) and then those muscles get fatigued and twitch.

When I get home, I like to use a hot compress. Also, it's usually not as noticeable to others as you would think -- it just feels horribly distracting!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 2, 2016

I used to have them and my doctor said it's sometimes caused due to a magnesium deficiency. I started taking a magnesium pill each morning with my multi vitamin and it made the eye twitching go away almost completely.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 10, 2016

I'll have to try that because it's not going away. It almost just feels like when my blood pumps, I'm feeling the blood pumping through my eye lid.