Eye Doctor Frustration

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Miss Kirby, May 21, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 21, 2009

The past couple weeks I've been noticing floaters in my eyes. I used to see them once in a while when looking at a blank wall, but now I see them constantly. It's really bothersome especially when driving and at work! I also haven't had a new prescription in a few years, and I feel like I've been having headaches, my eyes straining, etc.

I'm going to Ireland for a month in a week, so I got an appointment at the eye doctor for this morning and I took the day of work so I could go. I got a message that my insurance was terminated and they wanted me to call them. I figured I'd call in the car, because my insurance is fine, and I took out my card and put it on the seat next to my cell phone. I decided not to call because traffic was crazy, and I ended up in the wrong parking garage. Stressing out, I grabbed my stuff and went in the building, realized I was in the wrong place, and went back to my car and drove to the other parking garage. I then realized I didn't have my insurance card. I'm pretty sure I dropped it in the last parking garage. So I start panicking that they won't take me because I don't have my card, plus I'm now late!

They say my insurance was terminated in 2006. I've been there every year and it's worked fine! They said because I didn't have my car they couldn't see me, or I'd have to pay. Finally they realized that they put the wrong information. So I went in. The eye doctor put all sorts of drops and lights in my eyes. My eyes are so sensitive, I'd much rather be getting drilled at the dentist. When finished he said my eyes were fine, and if there were any other problems to come back in. WHAT? I again told him that the floaters were very bothersome and I see them all the time, and that I feel like my eyes are straining, he hasn't given me a new prescription in a few years. He said I see fine with my current prescription and that I don't need anything else.

I then had to pay a $35 copy plus parking feels. I lost a day of work, tons of gas, and was way too stressed out and upset (I haven't had this "good" a cry in a long time!). I'm SOOOO FRUSTRATED!!! :mad:

3. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 21, 2009

I'm sorry Miss Kirby. I don't blame you for feeling so frustrated. Is there any way you can see another doctor when you get back from Ireland?
    p.s. I'm very jealous of your trip! :)

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 21, 2009

YOu call that doctor back and tell him you are not happy. You do not want to be billed for that visit because it was completely unsatisfactory and THEY screwed up with the ins. info! Then go to Pearle Vision or etc. and get a quick pair for your trip. I feel for you! YOU know there is something wrong with the exam.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 21, 2009

Well, bonneb, they did figure out that they messed up the insurance info, so they just charged me the regular copay I would have gotten anyway.

I don't know, I think I'm just going to wait until I get back from Ireland then I'll make an appointment elsewhere. I wish I could call like you said, I'm not that assertive, haha.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 21, 2009

Unfortunately, there's probably not anything you can do for the floaters. I've got a big one in my left eye I call the hairy spider, and I've just gotten used to it.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 21, 2009

Yeah, hopefully they'll fade or something. The DR didn't say anything about them. I only have vision in one eye, so I want to take care of what I have!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 21, 2009

I have floaters as well, and they are bothersome. It is most frustrating outside on a beautiful day and in the shower. I worry because I'm only 26...how bad will the situation get as I grow older? The doctor also told me most people have them, but I'm not sure if most people have them so that they are actually annoying. Sorry about your crappy day.

9. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 21, 2009

Miss Kirby, I sympathize. I cannot stand going to the eye doctor! I hope your symptoms aren't a result of something too serious. And I'm sorry to hear about your insurance troubles as well.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 21, 2009

I had the same floater thing happen about 5 years ago. It was like a patch of floaters and it was constant. He explained that the fluid or sort of "gel" inside your eye starts to detach and settle as you get older. He said it is normal and it settles after awhile, which mine did after a few months. And now I rarely get floaters at all.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 21, 2009

I have a problem with my eye ever since I had surgery. I have gone back 4 times, and been told nothing is wrong. One even called me a liar. My GP has now refered me to another eye doctor that she thinks will listen to me.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 22, 2009

I've had floaters since I was a kid! Bleh! I also noticed in the last few months an increase in floaters. Although, this morning, I actually noticed how they haven't been as bad as they were about a month ago. It sounds like you need a good break. My eyes were also strained and I started to relax my self, my body, and my mind, which has helped.

Do get another appointment when you get back, just in case. During my ordeal at the eye doctor, I was also mad at them about some things, but in the midst, they discovered two eye conditions (I started getting double vision, and my eye wouldn't focus on close up objects.) I've started eye PT and it really helped! :) Anyways, get another appointment with someone else. Floaters could, perhaps, be linked to retinal detachment. So, just get it checked out.