Extremely Irritated

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by chebrutta, Jul 28, 2009.

1. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Warning: Loooooooooong Vent.

I'm really, really sick and tired of the girls I work with. Granted, they are teenagers - but at least one of them calls out every week, on BOTH of my days off. Either they don't feel well, or their families made impromptu plans, or they have to babysit a sibling - every week, it's something. And every time, they call me to go in for them. And somehow, they are *always* crying on the phone, so that I feel bad and go in. One girl *finally* stopped calling me after I yelled at her for calling my phone 6 times in 10 minutes (and when I called her back, she asked me to skip working the tutor lab and skip my night class to work for her :dizzy:)

But the very occasionally times that I need a favor - no one is ever available. On Sunday, I called the one girl - that I worked extra shifts for the last 3 weekends - and left a message saying I didn't feel well and could she please work the evening shift for me? She called me back 10 minutes before we closed to say she *just* got my message from 11 hours prior.

And she just called 10 minutes ago, crying and saying she was throwing up all night and could I please work for her today. And of course, dummy me said ok - I though it was the night shift.

Nope. My boss just called me back - it's a 12 hour shift, which means I need to be leaving in 20 minutes.

Grrrr. I think me and my boss are going to sit down and have a little chat later today. This calling out crap has gotten completely out of hand - I think I'm going to tell him that I'm tired of being called in every day I have off and from now on, I'm not answering any calls from the girls or the store line - only from his personal phone.

*End vent*

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

i'm sorry you have such crappy people to work with

just start syaing no...if they don't help you...don't feel obligated to help them on every whim...unless you need the money

-hugs-

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Those girls need to grow up, there's no way anyone can have that many emergencies on your day off. Your boss is doing a disservice to them by letting them get away with this outrageous behavior and you're enabling them by covering for them. I'm so sorry those irresponsible girls have gotten away with this and your valuable time off has been robbed from you. Don't answer their calls.

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, I would stop going in for them period! Tell your boss about it maybe they are in a better position to make them stop! The good news is that you've been earning extra $$$ that would've been theirs!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

yeah i would stop answering the phone unless you know you want to go in.

And during your talk with your boss, I would ask him to change the policy so that these people are not calling you directly.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

Speak to your boss first.

That way, when a shift goes uncovered because you chose to be unavailable, it won't be your tail on the line.

They're acting like children but expecting to be treated as adults.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2009

I'd be sick of their crap too! I agree w/ all the posters.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

It's really sad that some people aren't responsible and unfortunately some of them happen to be teenagers. I think the ball's in your manager's court.
    Remind yourself of your priorities and say "no". This is his problem and he should be worrying about this and not you. :love:

My daughter is a waitress and not taking any classes this summer, so she loves to pick up someone else's work hours when she's off. She's often getting phone calls from someone to do their shift and she usually does...the kids have worked out a $deal where if they do...the other person pays them $15-$20 to do that. Of course, you're gonna have to get that before you take their shift...something tells me that these teens' good word just isn't good enough. :unsure:

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 28, 2009

I have a hard time saying "no" sometimes, so I screen my calls when it's a number I don't recognize or one of those people that always need something. This way I have time to decide if I want to do whatever their asking and sometimes it's easier just to text back, sorry I have plans or something.
    **I'm thinking maybe if the girls couldn't get their shift covered and didn't show up, they may get replaced by someone who wanted to work.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

I completely agree!

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2009

Being nice like this rarely works in your favor. I was in same boat. I constantly filled in for people or stayed late/came in early, then last semester before my surgery when I was in a great deal of pain and sometimes really need shifts covered or to leave early, guess who helped? Yeah. Anybody but the people *I* helped.

I would tell them straight up that you won't be doing this, especially at the last minute. If you really need the extra hours, that gets sticky, but firm action is needed to stop this cycle.

Make sure your boss understand toos so you don't suddenly get the heat for no longer being the go-to-girl for fake last minute emergencies that result in uncovered shifts!

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

Don't help them out anymore. Obviously they don't want the money. A lot of times with part time workers, since they don't get sick days and the like, they can just call in and call in and mgment allows it to happen because they don't have any sick leave or whatever. The sad thing is, there are plently of people who are out of work who would love nothing more than to have those shifts that those teenagers don't want. I have a second job too and I have seen this happen before.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Well, she magically felt better this afternoon, so she came in to work the night shift. Me thinks someone stayed out partying a little late last night & didn't want to get up to be at work at 10:30.

The way it works is that if you want someone to cover your shift, you're responsible for lining them up. The only time the manager/owner deals with it is in a true emergency (like last year when DF was rushed to the hospital or when one guy's son wandered off and was missing for 6 hours).

I didn't get a chance to speak to my boss - he got in around 4 & a vendor was waiting to speak with him. I'll go back later tonight to talk with him. I'm just going to tell him I'm really tired of these last minute phone calls, going in, and then no one can ever help me out when I'm ill. I'm also going to tell him I'm only accepting phone calls directly from his cell phone or the manager's cell phone... since the girls will call from the store phone to make you think the boss is calling you.

For now... I'm going to dye my hair & then take my tips down to Goodwill to see if I can get a couple pairs of nice slacks/skirts.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Wish I could join you, Chebrutta...

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

Me too... sigh. I'll feel better once I'm not staring at 2 inches of gray every morning. I swear, the gray hairs grow faster than the brown ones.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Imagine they are your students asking if they can just play games all day instead of doing work. You would have no problem telling them no, right? Just say no! You don't need any excuses. You have plans. Maybe those plans are to sleep, maybe they are to do nothing, but your plans most certainly do not include working. So just say no.

Teenager: Chebrutta, can you cover my shift?
    Chebrutta: No. I can't.
    Teenager: Why not?
    Chebrutta: Because I don't want to. Talk to you next time we're at work! Goodbye.

*click*

18. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

I deal with this pretty often too since I'm currently working at a daycare. The only difference is that my co-workers are not teenagers; just young adults who feel they can do whatever they want.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2009

My biggest problem is that I am a sucker for tears. And that I remember what it's like to be a teen, when your friends would make impromptu plans for a bonfire at the beach and you'd be the only one not going. But... they're definitely exceeding the limits of my understanding and empathy. I wonder how many of them cut an onion right before they call me? :lol:

Anyway, I talked with my boss. He said he knows it's getting out of hand, but he doesn't want to say "no one can switch" b/c it isn't fair for the few people who don't take advantage. He did promise to only call me from his phone when he needs me for something & understands why I won't answer calls from coworkers or the store phone. He also told me that one of the girls (not the one from today) is exactly one call-out from being fired... and she knows it.

We'll see... two women came in today looking for jobs... one with an impressive food service resume. I tacked it up next to the schedule so my "boss" would be sure to see it.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

Where my daugher works has a stick policy about absences. You get a mark if you are absent, even if you get it covered. 6 in six months and you are fired. That is one per month. Sounds like these girls would not last 6 months.