Extremely disheartened right now

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gr3teacher, May 21, 2016.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 21, 2016

For background: last year, I had a very difficult year, due to an outrageously crazy parent. My principal promised to keep in mind any placement requests I would have in the future, since she knows that I really want to move to older kiddos.

This year, I've had a dream class. Things have "clicked" with this group in a way they never did with any of my first three classes (and ESPECIALLY not last year's class). All year long, I've made it clear that I would be very interested in going to fourth grade with this group, and my principal has expressed the possibility that she would move me, if an opening opened up (for various reasons, it was well known that there would be an opening, but it couldn't really be acknowledged). Fast forward to yesterday, when we found out that one of my teammates will instead be moving to fourth. The same teammate who has always said she wants to teach YOUNGER students, not older. The reason given is that she will be a better fit with the personalities on that team. As an added gut punch, I was told that I will be teaching third grade next year, but will most likely be moving to sixth grade in 2017-2018. Fabulous, I've wanted sixth grade... except a little math says the group from H-E-double hockey sticks will be sixth graders that year. My principal did promise that I would never have that parent in my class again, except the crazy has been infectious, and the whole current fourth grade team has had to deal with unbelievable helicopter parenting.

Maybe it's time to look for another school.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

May 21, 2016

Yikes. Sorry. That feels like a punch to the gut.

I've been thinking of looking for another school for different-but-similar reasons. It sucks when it feels like your preferences are not taken into account when making decisions.

BioAngel likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 22, 2016

If I were in your situation, I'd probably be looking at other schools.

I did recently switch schools. I made the decision for a number of reasons, not least of which was the fact that I felt like admin was walking all over me. It felt like they were constantly giving me the shaft because they knew that I was someone who wouldn't complain and would get the job done. They always disregarded the very few requests I did make and usually short-changed me on things to which I was entitled (like a department chair prep when I was the department chair--I was the only DC who didn't get one). I gave them the benefit of the doubt more times than I should have. Once I finally left and went somewhere else, I discovered that not every school is as toxic as that one was.

BioAngel likes this.
  5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 22, 2016

Hang in there. Sometimes principals do things we think are CRAZY and there is a reason for the vision. Plus, third grade is a HARD year. They have to "grow up" so much. Maybe your principal cannot lose that.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 22, 2016

It's truly shocking to me that principals can move teachers to other assignments without the job being offered to everyone. We have an incredibly strong teachers' union in my district. If a position is being vacated or opened for any reason, the process is:
    1. The job is posted internally (within the district) and any tenured teacher can apply.
    2. If multiple teachers apply, the teacher with the most seniority automatically gets the position (no interviews are held)
    3. If no one applies, admin can hire from the outside.

BioAngel likes this.
  7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 23, 2016

Wow, I've never seen a policy like that. In any district I have worked in, the job is posted internally and then the incoming P interviews people of their choice from the list of applicants. The outgoing P has to agree to let the employee transfer before the deal is completed. The outgoing P can keep the employee until someone is hired to replace them.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 18, 2016

So as a follow-up...

We had a 5th grade teacher announce that she was leaving about two weeks ago. My principal already hired one new 3rd grade teacher (to replace my teammate). On Wednesday, we had a panel interview with a candidate who was told it was a generic position (if placed, she would go where she fit best). It was apparent that our principal wanted to hire her, and so she did. Yesterday, she was officially announced to the staff... as a third grade teacher. At the same time, my other remaining teammate was told that she would be the mentor for the new teachers. By the process of elimination, that means I'm out. In a fun plot twist though... I'm apparently more likely to land in 4th grade than in 5th.

I'm just an emotional wreck right now. Officially, I'm without a placement right now (although that's a technicality; there's no danger of not having a placement). I don't know if I'm going to be 4th or 5th (or possibly even 6th, although that is unlikely). I suppose I could still land back in 3rd grade too, but that's probably the least likely situation. It's just painful knowing that my teammates all know exactly what they are teaching, the new hires know exactly what they're teaching... it's only me and one fourth grade teacher that are in limbo, waiting for our principal to decide what she wants to do. Maybe I shouldn't be taking this so hard... I'm going to have a landing spot, and the most likely landing spot is exactly what I wanted... it's just the questions and uncertainty. I'll teach wherever I'm asked to teach, I just want to know.

9. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 18, 2016

It always amazes me how different school districts do things. In my district, principals can place teacher in any position that meets their certification. I'm certified K-6. My P can move me to any grade in my building. We had three positions open at the end of the year. My P moved some teachers to different grade levels before posting the jobs available in my building. Most Ps here post position as "at large" so there is no expectation of a particular grade level.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2016

This is how things are here as well; while most teachers remain in the same grade level, there is always some movement due to the number of students enrolled at each grade level. I'm qualified to teach every grade in our building (K - 8), so could be asked and expected, to teach any of them. We know what we will "tentatively" be teaching in the fall, but we know to anticipate changes at any time.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2016

And now after spending the last week in limbo, my OTHER teammate was given the 4th grade position I wanted, a 4th grade teacher was moved against her will to 5th grade, and I'm stuck back in third grade with two brand new teachers (neither of whom I wanted, but agreed with adding because my teammate was enthusiastic about having on her team). As an added gut punch, I won't even be the mentor for either of the two new teachers (which comes with cert. hours and a stipend). Saying that I'm livid would be a huge understatement.

12. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 22, 2016

I agree with you, and I would feel upset, too! There's a saying that the squeaky wheel gets all the oil, but if I might make a suggestion, if I were in your situation, I'd try not to complain. I like the other saying, when life feeds you lemons, make lemon-aid. I wouldn't be surprised, from reading your posts, if you're one of the best teachers in the school, and it sounds like you are also a team player. Perhaps, as you make the best of this situation, it will ease the burden of not receiving the desired position for the time being. Somewhere down the line, your efforts will show this P that you are a strategic player on the field, and your voice is important to listen to.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 24, 2016

So after getting written up for having the nerve to be sad this week (seriously... I was told that I was acting mopey in the hallways before school when there were no kids around, so I was getting written up)... I sent 7 schools a copy of my resume and cover letter today. Three have already contacted me, and I have two interviews set up.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2016

Sounds like you are doing the right thing.;

16. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 24, 2016

Wait, what? You were officially written up, like something placed in your personnel records? I really hope you find a better place to work.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 24, 2016

Yes. Among other things, I was cited for being asked a question (during a casual chat before the EOY staff meeting) by a teammate while an administrator was nearby, and raising my eyebrows rather than answering. Apparently that made it look like I was angry, unfriendly, and unwilling to speak to administrators(?). She freely acknowledged that I then immediately answered the question when my teammate asked again. Apparently the possibility that I didn't understand what I was asked at first because I wasn't actually following the conversation never occurred to anybody, and this was instead concrete proof that I was angry and obstinate.

I'd truly like to say that I'm exaggerating, or misstating something, or making something up. But no. I seriously had a 45 minute disciplinary meeting where we seriously spent 10 minutes talking through the fact that I didn't verbally respond to a question I didn't hear clearly, and then I seriously had two adults with four combined master's degrees and 60 years of combined educational experience tell me that any woman in the world would take something like this as an immediate sign of anger. Apparently, being a man, I just don't understand the way women see emotions.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 24, 2016

Also, note to self: I should probably check with my association to see if I have any sort of standing for a complaint based on sex there.

MrsC, Obadiah and LottieD like this.
  19. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 25, 2016

Ouch! This sounds more like George Orwell's 1984 and the "thought police" rather than a well-functioning school system! I agree! If you can leave, leave!

20. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2016

I saw what was going on with placement as a way to "strongly encourage" you to look elsewhere. This additional interaction secures my belief that they are trying to "counsel you out" of the school. I'm sorry if this is so, but if this is the case, you really don't want to be there any longer. Good luck finding a position at a school that is more rational.

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 25, 2016

This is what I think now, too. Several teachers are getting treated rather shabbily right now, and it's all of the teachers that tend to stand up to administration when policies that don't make sense are enacted. They even made thinly-veiled threats to send me back to SPED if I stay. Fortunately, I'm reasonably certain I'll get a job at a new school pretty quickly.

22. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 25, 2016

Definitely time to look for something new. I also wouldn't attend any meeting with administration without union representation.

BioAngel and Obadiah like this.
  23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 25, 2016

This is a scary thing. I can't imagine what my vast mood swings would have generated at your school. So, vent your anger here and and home and get on with your search. A great environment may be just around the corner and you have learned a lot where you've been. I hope you get the appreciation you deserve in your next position.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2016

Yes, it's time to look elsewhere. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

25. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jun 25, 2016

I wish I was ignorant, I wish I didn't think about things...things would be easier at times.

Employers do not want effective employees, they want employees that act happy and excited with whatever comes down from management.

bella84, BioAngel and Obadiah like this.
  26. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2016

The sad thing is this continues to happen because co-workers aren't willing to all speak their mind about issues and what they think is right. You have enough yes (wo)men who will go along and not rock the boat because it is best for them rather than what is best for students.

Obadiah and Pashtun like this.
  27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 25, 2016

Good luck on your job search.

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 26, 2016

Sounds like the P is starting to find things wrong. Best to get out of there before they screw you over even more.

29. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2016

So after four interviews and three offers from other schools, I accepted an offer yesterday. It became official today, roughly an hour before the deadline for in-district school transfers. Whoever replaces me will be a brand new teacher (or at least new to the district).

Some highlights:
    -5th grade position
    -8 miles closer to home (80 fewer miles on my car a week? Yes please!)
    -A DREAM administrator who specifically wanted me for the position and didn't even speak to my current administrators
    -Several friend-of-a-friend relationships with teachers and parents in the building. I even will most likely already know a couple of the kiddos in my room
    -A SPED teacher in my (now former) school also got a last-second job offer, and we celebrated with margaritas. The thought of both positions, by necessity, being filled with brand new teachers brings me far more amusement than it should.

I met today with my would-have-been teammates. I gave them a bunch of resources, and we talked about a lot of set-up and beginning of year stuff. I also made sure they knew that they can feel free to contact me at any time for help (and they really can). My bitterness towards administration doesn't extend to them, and it CERTAINLY doesn't extend to the kids or families I'm leaving behind.

bella84, otterpop, Upsadaisy and 2 others like this.
  30. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

Congratulations on the new and closer job!!! I've really been hoping that you would find another position. Although I didn't have too many doubts because from what I've read on here you seem to be a dedicated and very competent teacher!!

31. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2016

Thankfully, getting a job was never a worry, it was just getting a job that was a good fit. The first job offer was another third grade job, but the school just didn't feel right. The second job was a sixth grade job. I would have taken it if need be, but it was further away from home, and had a couple other misgivings. This one kind of swooped in at the last minute. The position opened up on Wednesday. I sent my resume in at 7:30, and the principal called me to set up an interview at 8:30.

32. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2016

Congrats on finding a new job that IS a much better fit, and the opportunity to dodge a bullet and threat that would have been troublesome and stressful. Take this new job and run with it. Make it your own, and show them that it is a two way street - you need them, and they are lucky to get you. Walking away from the poor situation will be easy, and your life will be so much better. You are an excellent example of someone who has read the writing on the wall, and has no doubt that had you stayed, it would have gone from bad to worse. I am so happy for you, and I am sure that your excitement far exceeds mine. Grow and thrive in your new environment, secure in the knowledge that this "transplant" is just what the doctor ordered. Be well and be happy! :hugs:

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2016

The door closed...and the window opened...congratulations!