Extremely confused about not getting job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Morrissey, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Morrissey New Member

Aug 10, 2021

I have been working at this same school for about 6 years. I have done it all: started as a sub, took pool sub role, and took ESE teacher assistant position so I had benefits and because the principal had asked me to. I also work in athletics namely basketball and football. I have also worked graduation and chaperoned every event possible. I have 4 endorsements: ESE, Language Arts, ESOL, and Social Science. I am also adding Reading. I am beloved by the staff and fellow teachers. I have also got exemplary scores especially in knowledge of subject area on my evaluations. I mean one vice principal even nicknamed me The Mayor.

Sounds like I should be the ideal candidate, right? Well 3 Language Arts teachers retired and they all recommended me for their individual job. Yet I was passed over for teachers with more experience. Fine, but then an ESE teaching job came available and I went on a virtual interview. I nailed it and I know I did as they even said I interviewed very well. Then I discovered I got passed up again. And I don’t understand why.

Now another school wanted me but it required me to move across the state in less than a week. I couldn’t do it. I don’t understand how a rather prestigious school could want me, but this school doesn’t. I don’t know what to do at this point because people on other interviews ask me why this school won’t hire me despite my great resume and references. I need advice.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 11, 2021

Any chance you can ask the principal directly? Seems like the people who interviewed you would be the only ones who would know…

4. Morrissey

Morrissey New Member

Aug 11, 2021

I’m going to talk to the AP today. I’m a bit emotional right now, but I want to talk to him. And I know it’s not because I have bad references because the AP over ESE and even Principal himself are my references. They’ve given me good reviews

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2021

You are too good at whatever position you're in now and they don't want to give you up to another position. You're somewhat typecast it seems. I would definitely start looking in other districts.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  6. Morrissey

Morrissey New Member

Aug 11, 2021

That is my fear. I think I saw the girl they hired over me. There’s no way she has more experience than I do in terms of ese. I have other options, but I want to understand why I didn’t get these jobs

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2021

Just don't expect a straight forward, 100% honest answer. Any response will be geared to cover their behinds about any hiring decisions. I suspect that you are either too experienced, meaning a high starting salary, or older than they want. Either of these reasons means they will likely hire someone with less experience to keep salary costs down. Hard to prove, so covered up with a lot of excuses, intended to muddy the water. The one thing that is clear is that you may need to look elsewhere for a full time job.

CaliforniaRPCV and ready2learn like this.