Extreme Paranoia, Haunted, or True? Kind of Long

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 10, 2013

Thank you hbcaligirl1985! Unless, a completely sane person spent a few days with Mary in the house to see the strange occurrences for themselves, then they can see if it's in Mary's mind or possibly a haunting. When her brother has stayed with her, I have no idea what happens while he's there.

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

Yeah, I think you will have done what you reasonably can and should if you say, "Mom, I'm a little worried about Mary. Maybe you could talk to her son?" Then again, I also understand when you say you know your mom won't do that.

3. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Sep 10, 2013

It's her brother, not her son. I think she said in the opening post that Mary never married.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 10, 2013

My grandpa suffered from dementia has he aged. One day a friend of ours saw him at the grocery store. Knowing he wasn't to be out alone she stayed with him until she saw my mom was there as well. She made sure to connect with my mom to ensure my grandpa was safe and cared for (my mom had brought him to do his shopping). We are very thankful our friend took the time to ensure our grandpa's safety.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 10, 2013

MissScrimmage, well that's great that the timing worked out for the friend to run into him & he had someone who had the time to stay with him & all. Not everyone has a friend who may do that.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

MissScrimmage didn't say the person had the time to stay with him but took the time to stay with him. It is an assumption that this person had the extra time to do this when she may have been in a hurry but could never think of leaving him unattended knowing the situation.

It is wonderful that there are people that will go out of their way even when it may be inconvenient to help someone that is obviously in need of help.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 10, 2013

Well, obviously the friend did have time to stay with the man or else she wouldn't have. The friend could have had an important dr appt that she didn't want to cancel & then the outcome may have been different. She would have either chosen to cancel the appt OR stay with the man. Either way, not everyone can OR will HAVE the time nor MAKE the time based on their own circumstances.

There's always an option B & often C. If the friend had to go ight away, she could have alerted the store employees to keep an eye on this man & give a few contact #s for them to call someone OR the employees could have made an announcement over the loud speaker in the store that whoever accompanied this man (in this case the MissScrimmage's mom) needs to come to the front desk (or wherever to get him).

OK...let's not get in a back & forth thing here about who has the time or who's willing to make the time. If a person can't do something, they can't do something.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2013

Oh, yes...pardon me for the major mistake. I meant brother.

:|

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2013

and it seems from the many suggestions here that there are good ways to help that don't take much time or effort. I know Ms I wasn't looking for suggestions, but it's hard not to feel empathy and compassion for an elderly person in Mary's situation. The best thing to do would be to offer to call a dr or the brother. Playing into her delusions or posing new ones, such as hauntings, is not helpful...but since suggestions weren't being solicited, I'm sure those who are involved with the situation will make their own choices