Extreme Discipline Challenges

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Jan 12, 2020.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jan 12, 2020

I've been teaching for twelve years in elementary, and this year I'm facing behavioral issues like never before. I'm a music teacher so I see all the grade levels. This year I've had multiple issues where students have left the room and refuse to come back in. Before anyone jumps to blame classroom management, this is not only in my class. It's everywhere these students go throughout their day.
    We're several months into the school year, so parents have been notified, meetings have been had, and some systems have been put in place, I hesitated to post about this because of the tendency to just blame the poster, but I'm wondering if anyone has had students walk out of their classrooms and what your school has done to handle it. This is such a new situation for me, I'm at a loss.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2020

You only need one or two students who demonstrate lack of control, the other students notice the lack of ability of school to control those students, and they join in, feeling that they are safe because of the numbers involved. Sadly, they usually figure it out about right, so it sets a precedence that tends to snowball. Sorry this is happening to you.

Backroads likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2020

I am older than dirt and have taught a long time. :) I always am marked w/ excellent classroom management. Last yr, I got a class of the crazies. Not only did I have them run out of the room, 1 would curse like a sailor and another threw things at people on his way on out. Another slammed the door repeatedly and often kicked it continuously... ( So no judgement coming from here.)
    No consequences happened to these kids because their bad behavior was supposedly tied to their diagnosis. Our school did not handle it. The kids are just bigger now and worse. If you still have any form of consequences left at your school, be thankful! There may be hope! :)

Mollyb7 likes this.
  5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jan 25, 2020

If admin doesn’t back you in terms of behaviour management then there’s little you can do. You cant tie these kids to a chair and you can’t control their movements. But you should document when you have referred these incidences to admin or contacted parents. In case something should happen whilst the students are out of your class and legal issues arise. These students are under your duty of care so if you’ve contacted admin to say these students have gone when they do leave then that’s you doing your job and covering your six. You can’t control admins actions or inactions.

Mollyb7 and Tired Teacher like this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Jan 25, 2020

Yeah, I think most schools would have issues w/ you if you tied them to a chair! ;) My friend and I have joked about worse. I do remember what I did that worked w/ 1 of the runners especially.
    I'd keep really fun activities, prizes, magic tricks, new interesting items, quick art/crafts that made something cool, and games on hand. ( It went totally against what I believe in, but it was my only way to quietly make my point and try to maintain order.) It was kind of passive- aggressive too. I don't really believe in prizes, and I spent a lot of $.
    When I had a runner, I'd call the office who got an aide to watch the runner to make sure they were safe. Then I'd do a really fun activity w/ the rest of the kids ( pretending I never noticed a kid cuss or kick the door on the way out.) I'd do it in a far corner of the room away from the door. It changed the mood of the room.
    When a runner was returned, they saw what we were doing, but it was always magically time to end the activity and get back to work. This worked w/ 1 the most. He'd want to do the activity or have a prize or craft.
    I'd say as sweetly and surprised as I could, " Oh! You weren't here to do that! We might do it again at another time." It burned him to have missed out on something fun, but there was no way he could complain he had any consequences.
    After about a month, that 1 really decreased times he ran out. ( Maybe 3-4 times more that yr.)
    1 of the other 2 figured out what was happening too. It just took him a lot longer. With the 3rd kid, he still runs out of rooms, but not mine this yr.
    I know it is hard to deal w/ , but my best advice is don't let the kid know that it bothers you. All 3 of the ones I mentioned hoped for a different reaction than I gave them.
    I never even went down the road of safety and worrying about them. They were used to getting attention and their own way by running out and making fusses. They did it to their own parents and it worked.
    Since you have a group of teachers dealing w/ these kids, see if you can come up w/ a plan with them that would fly w/ your admin. If you're all on the same page, it helps a lot.

rpan likes this.