Extreme Couponing...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DizneeTeachR, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

Did anyone see this on TLC?!?! A lady had a bill of over $600 & only paid $2 because of coupons & what not...

So do you use coupons, where do you get them from papers or online...

We do, but like hubby said last nite maybe we should do more with them...

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 5, 2011

Don't use like I should. That lady sounds like my brothers gf. She paid $25 for $230 worth of groceries once. It was amazing.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

ST... I wonder how many hours they spend finding deals to fit the coupons... I mean this one lady went to the recycling & dumpsters to get out coupons...

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011

I have seen this before but I felt like the woman spent so much time researching ahead of time that it wouldn't even be worth it to me. And I feel like they were eating what they found on sale, not necessarily what they felt like eating that week, and definitely not what was local or in season.

I do cut coupons for things I need, but most of the food we buy is from the farmer's market, or is meat and produce, which usually does not have a coupon available. Basically, I buy what I like, and if I happen to have a coupon for it, awesome.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

That's how we are...

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 5, 2011

We live out in the boondocks and I make a major shopping trip for groceries to Walmart once a month. I collect coupons a typically save between 20-30%. I am not going to drive all over town to hit four supermarkets to save $.25 on a can of soup. I do find that I can get the Walmart generic and it is cheaper than using the coupons. My husband won't go with me to Walmart any more because they usually have to call the manager over to unlock the register because it has a built-in limit on the amount of coupons that can be used. I had about $400 worth of groceries and it started refusing coupons after about $75. I told the cashier that was fine and I just didn't want any of it any more.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 5, 2011

It's a full time job to do all that.
    I use coupons BUT for only the things that I USE. Too often I see coupons for things I don't eat or use. It's a waste just to get them for me.

But, don't let them fool you too much because they never mentioned how much it costs them for produce. There are no coupons for fruits and vegis heh

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

Or, how much in gas they use going to store to store or how many hours they spend doing this. I don't know about all of you, but my time is valuable and worth more than some of the time some of these people spend doing this. I remember watching Wife Swap once with a family that did this. It was like a full time job to the mother. The swap mother felt that it was a pain.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

I tried to use coupons at one time but found the generic pricing was cheaper, or the coupon was for a brand I didn't like. I like the idea of coupons, but I'm just not that committed!

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

I don't use coupons as much as I should. I don't even know where to find them!!! I only shop at Michael's with a 40% off coupon, but other than that, it's not something I invest much time into. I also only grocery shop for one person, so I'm not spending $600 at a time on food!

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 5, 2011

It's true. 50 cents off a brand name is nothing when the generic brand is $1.50 cheaper!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

I signed up for free coupon alerts to get in my email and sometimes it will be for something worthwhile. I just print the ones I want. I usually don't buy the Sunday paper anymore so I don't get coupons there. My mom gets them and saves some she thinks I will like (dog treats, a certain shampoo, etc.). I only use coupons for things I would have bought anyway. I really hate when a coupon says you have to buy 2 of something. If it's a new product why would I want 2 if I don't even know if I"ll like it or not.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

Coupons are not hard to find if you know where to look. There are a bunch of websites that you can print coupons from if you don't get them in the Sunday paper. I also get them in my e-mail. When I get home I can post the sites if anyone is interested.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

That would be great! :)

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

My grocery store will not accept computer generated coupons. I do use coupons at my favorite stores, like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Bath and Body, and Gordman's in the last two weeks.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 5, 2011

That guy who got five or six thousand dollars of stuff had a garage full of deodorant, salad dressing, and toilet paper. There is no way he could use up what he had. He did donate cereal to a foodbank. Maybe they do that for all the excess, because I don't see how you could use up a hundred bottles of salad dressing before it goes bad.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

So they are hoarding but using coupons as their excuse that it is ok, because I am buying things that are usable and saving money. :eek:hmy:

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 5, 2011

When I was a stay-at-home military spouse, I did a lot of coupons. This was because the commissary made it relatively easy. People dump their unwanted coupons in a pile. I would spend about 20 minutes sorting through it and looking for stuff I already planned to buy. Sometimes I would pick up some things I wasn't sure I wanted to buy but would check them out then dump them back off later if I didn't use it. Keep in mind that I also plugged in my receipts frequently in excel and tracked sales trends too. That took far less time than it sounds like but it yielded a lot of valuable information and kept me from impulse buying. Back then I pinched pennies a lot more than I do now. Now I try to stay afloat from raising three kids, working full-time in a career that is time consuming and going to college. So I shop groceries online and we know that isn't the best deal. All of the above wouldn't be worth my time and sanity. It was fun for me back then though. Now that I'm moving and taking up the same occupation again, I might try my hand at it again. We'll see.

One thing I never really did was store hop. My dad did that when I was growing up. I go to one store (maybe 2 tops) and get what I need.

There was a time at one point that my dad had me going through the sales papers, when I lived with him briefly again, and if I could find something I wanted on sale, he would offer to pay for it. Needless to say, I got into the habit of reading sales papers. I don't do that anymore either. Oh and in one location Walmart had the sales papers already tacked up and if you took the time to read them briefly, you could refer to them for ad matching. I took advantage of that as well.

I might get $10-20 off my entire bill. Certainly not hundreds. If I can do it with semi-minimal time and have the sanity and time to do it, I think it is worth while and actually kind of fun. If it turns into a full time job, forget it. But then again, I'm blessed to have enough money to be able to afford that luxury.

20. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 5, 2011

I get better deals going to a place called Grocery Outlet here in town. While there are "expired" things (nothing that is nasty and not good for you) they also take items that have fallen off the truck (again nothing nasty) or items that got dented in which they can't sell on the shelves. Sometimes stores close or go bankrupt so they take their food as well.

Canned items are as low as 15 cents, salad dressings 50 cents, microwave popcorn $1.00, juices $1.50 and cereal $1.50. Can't beat that!

21. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 5, 2011

i love my coupons! BUT...i think those individuals were more horading than couponing!

i do hope the man at the end donated stuff to his church more. the stuff in his garage looked like overload. Who needs 100 toothbrushes.

22. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 5, 2011

Some of those people are obsessed. We use coupons for only things we actually like and need, but by doing so, save about $10-15 a week. And there are only two of us. It doesn't take that long to go through the sale flyers and cut out only those coupons you will use. I have a large index card box with dividers for different products and once that is set up, it only takes a few minutes to sort them. Those few minutes are worth $40-60 dollars a month. The best deals are when the grocery stores have a BYGO free deal and you have a coupon for that product. It is like found money. And believe me when I say I don't spend more then 10 minutes a week on coupons.

23. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 5, 2011

I am not crazy into it like they are, but I do routinely save 30-40% on my bill between store sales and coupons. It amazes my dh, but I can't fathom doing it any other way.

I will post more when I have time.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I second that... if you want to share...

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 5, 2011

I use coupons, but like others, I don't spend much time cutting them. We have a bin at work where people dump the ones they don't want, and we can go through them and take anything we do want. That makes it really easy.

The one thing I do do, is pay attention to the sales cycles of my local stores. Stores run basic sale items in roughly 6 weeks cycles. So, every six weeks, canned goods might be on sale for $0.50 and another week it's rice and pasta, and so on and so forth. I get enough of that item to make it through the cycle, and stock up again the next time something's on sale.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

THANKS.... I see one already that our store is running a sale on something...

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 5, 2011

I did see the show. Yikes, the storeroom concept is a little frightening. Seriously, 50 bottles of laundry detergent?????? I am all for saving for a rainy day, saving money and using coupons, but when the one lady moved her stockpile from Idaho to Utah (or wherever) I think that she negated her savings.

We don't eat a lot of things that coupons in our area typically feature. For example, I don't use ready to eat meals or products. I am strictly a from scratch kind of cook. I will note what places are better on chicken than another and if any of it beats Costco. I also find that my supermarket brand is just as good, if not better, and cheaper than the brand named item.

I was fascinated by the people who were on this show. Interesting slice of America to see. I mean, if you're going to be in excess at shopping, what better than to be a saver!?! I will check out the coupon links as I love to save money any way I can.

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

I watched the show too and some of these people have a problem...they looked like hoarders
    I do love coupons and try to use them

30. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 5, 2011

My mom went to a garage sale once where a lady was selling brand new items she had gotten cheap or free with coupons. The lady had tons of toothbrushes and toothpaste. She was making money but still selling them cheaper than the stores.

31. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2011

And what worries me is the amount of energy it takes to store that stuff. Can you imagine how much it costs to store all of that stuff each year? Scary....

The other thing I noticed is that as far as food goes, it's not really healthy food. It's things in boxes and prepared foods that are full of "things".

32. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

I only use coupons for baby formula and diapers (and related items), laundry soap, toilet paper, maybe toothpaste. Basically anything that won't go bad. Anything else seems like a waste of time to me. I rarely buy more than 1 of an item, and if I do, it goes bad before we use it, so it's not really saving money.

33. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 5, 2011

Can you use more than one coupon for one item? I still can't figure out how fifty cents off one item would end up saving several hundred dollars.

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2011

I'm not "extreme", but I'm pretty good.

I sign up for online & text offers from store websites. I look at weekly sale papers online. I price match at Wal-Mart a lot, too. We have to drive to the next town to shop for most things, and they don't have a lot of stores either. I use the sale papers from the "big city" stores, and they price match at Wal-Mart.

I clip coupons from the Sunday paper. I get some online from store websites and product websites. I don't do any of the coupon sites.

I also get store cards and use rebates.

Tonight I stopped at Rite-Aid to purchase a $14.99 item. It was $9.99 with my rewards card. I had a "$2.00 off any purchase" coupon from an earlier purchase. So, I got it for $7.99, and I earned another $2.00 off any purchase coupon tonight.

I haven't paid for toothpaste in forever. I watch for sales, coupons, and rebates. Sometimes I get money back.

Tonight I also got 10 cents a gallon off my gas with my rewards card from Kroger because I'd purchased $100 worth of groceries there last month.

I figure every little bit helps.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 5, 2011

The stores in my area also DOUBLE coupons so even if the coupon is 50 cents off it ends up being $1 off. I have gotten some free items especially if the coupon is for 75 cents or higher. I also like the buy one get one free coupons.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

NOw you all have me thinking... do they keep those garages at a certain temp. I mean here it would freeze in the winter. I can't imagine stock piling like some do, but I guess if you use it... it's one thing, but if it's just to outdo yourself than there's a problem.

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I love Grocery Outlet! They have my favorite, expensive brands for dirt cheap. The only reason they are there is because they are about to expire in a month or so. No biggie! :)

I pretty much shop at Trader Joes and I don't think they do coupons. Heck, I don't think I've EVER used a coupon in my life. I have done the mail in rebates though.

38. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

I'm not extreme or even close to it, but I do save a nice chunk of money every time I go.

On Saturday, I figure out my grocery list, then go to Kroger.com and load some coupons onto my card.

Then I go to a couple of coupon sites (mentioned already) and print out a few more, changing my grocery list to be more specific. For example, instead of writing down "juice", I write beside it "Welch's grape, 6-pack" because I have now got a coupon for it.

I skim through the coupons that I have in a basket at home, changing things on my list or adding to them. These are coupons that I found in magazines or newspapers, on the backs of receipts, or left overs.

When I go to the grocery store, I still comparison shop.

The whole process doesn't take too much time. I really love looking at my receipt and seeing that I've saved $30-$40, or putting away that extra free box of cereal or BOGO item.

39. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 6, 2011

When I worked at a grocery store we had a "coupon lady." She would try to misuse the coupons and when we called her on it she would get SO angry. Basically, grocery stores hate people like this.

Also, I read an article the other day about how sometimes people spend MORE money with coupons, because they buy things they normally wouldn't buy just because they have a coupon. I guess you just have to be careful.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 6, 2011

Yes, I agree that you have to be careful otherwise you will be buying a ton of junk you don't need just because you had a coupon. Today I used a $2.50 coupon that I printed and got an item, that is usually $6.99, for $2.50. I waited until it was on sale then used the coupon. This is something that I would buy all the time if the regular price wasn't usually $6.99!

41. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 6, 2011

I won't buy things we don't typically need unless it's a treat, then it substitutes for something else. Say, a special cracker that I have a good coupon + it's on sale, instead of our typical popcorn.

I try to buy things in cycles like mmswm said. I use coupons with items that are on sale already and try to wait for that to happen. They don't double coupons here so that doesn't help me.

I always check the paper, meal plan around sales and check on my coupon items as I shop, if it's on sale too, then I buy it even if it's not on the list for that week.

At our meat department meat that needs to be sold is typically put on sale and then I just wait a day or two more and there is always a $2-3 off coupon on it because it needs to be frozen or used within two days or they have to throw it out. That's the only way I buy meat anymore. Last night we have two nice organic strip steaks and I paid $3 for them about a month ago (original price was $10). They are fine to eat because I froze them immediately and then thawed them over night and cooked them. I haven't paid full price for meat in more than 2 years and we eat almost exclusively organic. That's a huge savings.