Extreme Couponing show

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 25, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2011

What do you think of the show?

I would love to save as much money as they do but I also believe in not hoarding all the products that they happen to have a lot of coupons for....like one lady got 77 bottles of mustard! Come on!

I like having a few extras maybe 3 or so but that is excessive!

I don't understand how the stores let them use so many coupons. I even saw a lady get money back ($50!) for buying several bottles of medicine that cost less than their coupons.:woot:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 25, 2011

I got a quarter back buying toothpaste awhile back. It was on sale for less than my coupon. I don't hoard items, although I do have a good stock of toothpaste and deodorant right now. I typically get it for free with a combo of coupons, rebates, and store rewards.

I don't buy multiples of things in single trips either. Sales go in cycles. For awhile I was getting free toothpaste about every week. I shared with Mom and her boyfriend. I also donated some.

I'm not into buying things I don't use just because they're cheap/free unless it's something I know somebody else uses.

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 25, 2011

I get that it's neat to get money back but the issue I take with some of them is that they clear the shelf of stuff they don't need that other people might need, like Advil or something.

It really makes me wonder sometimes, too, if these people only eat crap since they don't typically offer coupons for a lot of healthy stuff!

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2011

yeah, the lady literally dumped the upright container of Exederin in her cart. Why can't they be happy with a few extras like most people and then enjoy their coupons on those few? It's like they get a high with the more they take (I'm only talking about things that they take almost all of them....like another lady had a closet full of 2 liters....a closet!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Tennis... I agree... I think they are like addicted to eat. When it takes over your whole house it's silly.
    We have a stock pile of TP & papertowel... LOL.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 25, 2011

I think there is a fine line between couponing and hoarding.

And how much Excedrine can one family take before it expires? My husband and I can't get through a 200 count Advil before it has expired.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I guess this is a show I caught a few minutes of last week. A lady was buying many, many bottles of some type of gas relief medicine. I believe she said it was for a party? I'm hoping it was some sort of trading slash couponing party? It was the same lady who called several friends to come to the grocery and go through the line and purchase her things to get a few bucks off. That's just...

We always have a lot of items in stock...of things we use. It's sad to see someone stocked with rows and rows of things they either a) don't use, or b) couldn't use up if they tried.

I use a coupon on occassion, but we buy relatively little and not a lot of variety.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 25, 2011

Now there was one family who bought what they needed and gave the excess to charities since they got their totals way down to free or close to free. That is okay in my mind!

10. holliday

holliday Comrade

May 25, 2011

Yeah, it seems like food banks should hire some of these people to stock their shelves for nothing. That would be a PRODUCTIVE use of this talent. Having a garage full of orange soda...not so much.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

:lol:

Really you don't drink that much soda?!?! LOL!!!
    We were thinking the same thing... man do you think they could buy a few healthy things instead of 45 bags of Lay's for $2!!! LOL!!!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

:agreed:

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2011

It is organized hoarding.

It'd be cool if they worked for a shelter or something and gained all of those items for people that need them.

14. KDS

KDS Companion

May 26, 2011

i also have to wonder just how they get 70 copies of a coupon. for example, you buy the Sunday paper for say $1.25 to get coupons. so do you by 70 copies? does that really balance out price wise?
    and do they recyle the paper they dont use?

it seems to be more organized hoarding to me.

but i do love to use coupons. that is how i afford my trips to Starbucks etc. stuff i dont need, but want and like to do.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

There are coupon clipping services. You pay a monthly fee, like $20 or something, and indicate which brands/products you buy, and they send you a bunch of coupons for those things.

I'm more confused about how they get the store to let them use a million coupons for the same type of item in a single transaction. Don't most coupons say "Limit one per customer per purchase"?

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 26, 2011

I agree with what others have said about the hoarding. I'm glad the one couple sends stuff to charities, but wouldn't it be awesome to have all of that extra stuff and send it to the military or the shelters (especially in times like this with the floods and tornados).

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

I saw one show where the lady went dumpster diving to get extra coupons. Another one had people keep their papers for her.

We get a Sunday paper at 50cents a paper. So it only takes like 1-2 coupons to pay for it.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

There was a show with a guy who made care packages for the troops using the things he got with his coupons.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2011

That was so cool!!! I have seen a few that donate to other places. The one that cracked me up is her Daughter In Law comes over to "shop" at her house.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 26, 2011

I saw one gal spend $2000 on newspapers ....

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 26, 2011

I worked at a grocery store, and there was a lady who used TONS of coupons. The supervisor that I worked with couldn't stand her. We called her the "crazy coupon lady." We had to look at her coupons closely, and denied many of them. She would get really angry with us, but we didn't care. We would have been happy if she would have shopped at a different grocery store! She was rude, annoying, and it took really long to ring up her orders.

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 26, 2011

In our area, one of the couponing ladies was "hired" to have coupon parties. They work like tupperware parties and she tells people how to do the coupon blitz stuff. Then she say "for each member of your family order a paper". Infants, dogs, cats....anyone that eats...you order a paper for them. I ran a fast total in my head. Given that we don't eat out boxes (due to avoiding milk, eggs and wheat) the things we can find coupons for would never total up to be what the papers cost in the first place. We were also scared of the giant avalanche of papers waiting for recycle day!

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 26, 2011

There was another thread about this and I mentioned the one crazy lady who had stockpiled 1000 diapers...but had no kids! How about the lady with 200 bags of cat treats but no cats??? I think it's like a sickness after a while. The compulsion to stockpile and hoard thousands of items. They almost freak out when their groceries are rung up, sweating as the total is calculated and fearful that they might have to pay some money for their items. As other people have stated, I don't use most of the products that I see coupons for so I could never do that. I noticed a lot of those people do not have jobs outside of the home so they have the time to spend 40 hours a week finding coupons. I certainly do not!

24. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 26, 2011

I've only seen the show a few times but one episode showed a lady who requested all the rest of the coupons the newspaper didn't need to use that week or something like that. anyways, someone who drop a huge stack for her in her driveway!!!

25. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 26, 2011

^yeah I wonder why stores let them use so many coupons for the same item in mass quanities (or even more than 1 item according to the wording) Maybe they mean they don't want people using multiple coupons on 1 item. Maybe you can use coupons for the same item just have one for each like "these" people do!

26. pinkdaisy88

pinkdaisy88 Rookie

May 26, 2011

DB did some research on this last week. These women spend a TON of money on the Sunday Newspaper. They have dozens of copies of it just to get the coupons. They also spend a lot of money on coupon websites. I'll try to find the website we were looking at but basically these women don't save anything because they spend so much money on newspapers, websites, etc.

27. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 26, 2011

Maybe for some but we saw some people who got large stacks from the newspaper company for I had assumed free since they were ones they didn't "need" so they gave them away.

28. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 27, 2011

I have noticed in the last few weeks that more and more of my coupons are stating "Limit of 5 of like coupon per transaction>" I think this is in direct response to this show.

29. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

I would seem that there is a lot of work involved on cutting, planning, and getting the coupons. If these hours would be invested on working a part time job I wonder if they would be making more money. I guess this is like a part time job for them.

The organizing and stocking would be extremelly overwhelming for me.

For a while, I was using coupons but I would shop on Sundays at 7:30am because I didn't want to hold lines. The most I've saved was about 50% and I gotten some things for free. I would only go to 2 stores. I would stock up on shampoos, detergent, paper towels, and soap.

30. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

May 28, 2011

I use coupons myself...but not to the level of the people on the show. As viewers, we have no idea what's being done w/ all those items they have stocked. For all we know, those items may indeed get donated to different organizations. I enjoy couponing myself and I really enjoy being able to help out my family and friends through couponing. As for why the stores accept so many coupons...well, they get reimbursed the full value of the coupons +8 cents from the manufacturers. It's a win/win for the store and the couponer.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 28, 2011

I love using coupons on things I buy regularly, but I don't but things just because I have a coupon. Kroger is really good at printing out coupons for things that I use.

32. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 28, 2011

I just used a BOGO coupon at Rita's. YUM! That, my friends, is extreme couponing!:lol:

33. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 28, 2011

Some of those people are crazy. Others, I really liked. There was the seminary student who took what his family needed and gave the rest to area shelters and the person who made military care packages. Those people I like.

34. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

May 30, 2011

Bring it into the classroom!!

The toothpaste guy made care packages for American troops overseas.
    I was actually trying to figure out how to incorperate this into the classroom. Basically, couponing covers a large chunk of a fifth grade math curriculum (save for measurement, etc. unless you got into storage space and such ;) ). If a teacher could teach this and have the students clip and figure savings and even donate to a charity, there would be math, economics, service learning, cooperative learning/team buildng, and even reading. It is a meaningful lesson/skill that students could use. AND it "covers" standards in a meaningful way.

35. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 30, 2011

thats great!

36. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 30, 2011

This is a great idea! I could incorportare this as a project when covering percents.

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 30, 2011

Maybe this has been asked and answered already, but I'm curious-who does pay for this stuff? Last night, I turned it on to find a twenty something young woman, single, "buying" 35 bottles of Maalox (with all her coupon crap, she got them for free). She would have been "very upset" if she hadn't gotten there in time to clean them out.

So, a) who is actually paying for them? The Maalox people? The store? So next time grandma needs Maalox, is the price going to be raised to compensate? And b) what does a twenty something woman need with 35 bottles of Maalox?

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 30, 2011

I think that there's going to be some backlash from manufacturers over this show....

39. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Feb 28, 2012

What are you asking for like links to the show's site or what?

40. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2012

You know what will end up happening with people taking this to extremes. No more coupons will be offered by manufacturers or they will find a way to eliminate the practice.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 28, 2012

The store takes the coupon and mails it to the manufacturer and gets reimbursed for the coupon plus a few cents. I worked in a grocery store and we had to bundle the coupons according to the address on the coupon.