Extra Work for early finishers?!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by 2ndGradeSub, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

ohh yeah!

We also do a monthly activity folder. Each month we copy a bunch of holiday realted activity sheets and extra practice sheets. They keep them in their monthly folder. I have also seen teachers offer an incentive to anyone who completes it by the end of the month.

2. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 29, 2007

I love this idea! What a great alternative to "paper" work!

3. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

My kids didn't do much with the puzzles last year. They love folder and board games so this summer I'm hitting garage sales and thrift stores for games and game pieces, especially letter tiles. They also love writing on wipe-off boards, so I have them practice spelling & vocabulary words on them and their addition and substraction. I love patti2's ideas. Made a copy of that! Thank you, Patti!

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 29, 2007

This is very similar to what I did last year ~ in the spring. I had a BRIGHT green poster hanging above one of the white boards and had several different activities for students to complete. The activities were separated into four different categories (Read, Make, Write, Draw). The students could choose a project for the day; sometimes I would choose one activity from all four categories and they could then choose what activity to do. They would work on their project all day. This way, even if they got finished with it, they had to go back and (say it's a letter to a friend) proofread, correct, and maybe add something new. This kept them thinking about how they could improve what they had already done, instead of blazing through an activity just to be finished.

5. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Computer Station
    Extra Worksheets
    Independent Center that includes dry erase crosswords, phonics, books on tape or matching games.
    We have Accelerated Reader so that goes well with indep. reading.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 29, 2007

I have learning center folder games they can work on, computer games related to what we're studying, books and magazines they can read. They can also use the time to work on other assignments or study. I tell my early finishers (all of the students really) if they can't find something to do I will find something for them. It's usually something they don't particularly enjoy like reading the encyclopedia entry about pine trees of North America and writing me a summary. That right there is enough to motivate them to stay busy.

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Here's the problem that I run into:

First of all, the fast, higher students always finish first and then get to do 'fun' activities. As some people have said, I don't want to punish them for being smart/fast by giving them more work. But when the slower kids see others doing fun things (even when the fast ones are being quiet) I can tell the slow ones are hurt. I think it works when kids are just goofing off, to motivate them, but some kids just 'don't get it' and will never be able to finish early and do the activities.

Secondly, I find that kids really rush through to get to the other activity, such as drawing. Even when I check their work, it is a pain. It goes like this: :tired:
    Kid: rushes to finish
    Me: Sorry. This is not done correctly. Please go do x, y, z.
    Kid: rushes some more, then brings me work
    Me: Sorry, still not done correctly.
    Kid: But! It's done! (whine, whine, whine)
    Does anyone else have these concerns/problems?:rolleyes:

8. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Yes. If they continue to rush or maintain this pattern they will lose the priv.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 30, 2007

As for the other problem, kids who never get to do the "fun" activities, you may want to come up with some sort of incentive or rotation. If I have a computer project or software program I want all the kids exposed to I call out different groups during work time to go to the computers rather than sitting at desks working. Sometimes I just have a deadline for these things. I might draw sticks and just say "Amy, Sandy, Jason, it's your turn for the computers." Some kids would rather pass on the computer time to someone else until they get their work done. This would give slower kids a chance to use the computers even if their work isn't finished. Another option would be to have a Friday game time. I know a teacher who sets aside the last 30 minutes of every Friday for extra recess or for playing games in the room. Students who have had good behavior and worked hard during the week get to participate. Those who messed around, rushed, etc. got to sit out.

10. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

During holidays I make a little booklet of fun worksheets for my kids. I put word searches, secret code, ordering, dot to dot. The kids take them out when they finish their work. They really enjoy them.
    Jen

11. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jun 30, 2007

I was just thinking about fun but educational "sponges" for early finishers.

I liked some of these, but didn't know if they would be distracting to others. Kids might rush to get to them, at least in the beginning.

[​IMG]
    A Rubik's Cube

[​IMG]
    Slide Puzzles

[​IMG]
    My favorite: a mini-boggle. You could offer incentives for word lists created. It might be loud tho.

I was also considering word puzzles (crossword, jumble, etc) and easy soduko. Some kids might like them.

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2007

I do a few different things. I always tell the kids BEFORE we begin, what they may do when they finish.

Read, write, (draw) is an option most of the time.
    Math folders (independent practice... only problem with this is me filling the folders!)
    During math, I will have math choice available when they are done. This is usually math games either from the curriclum of games I have accumulated through time.
    During literacy times, I will have a word game choice, and these are things like boggle, upwords, scrabble, madlibs, etc.

I only do those activities, if whatever going on in the room is the type of activity that won't be difficult to do with busy activity surrounding.

If we are all doing quiet work, that's when I do math folders, journal writing or reading.

A note on the "bright" versus "slow" topic. I meet with the kids I know who will have challenges and work with them. If I see we have ten minutes left, I will usually let them stop if they aren't done yet and have some choice time, since they worked so hard with me. I am not a stickler for finishing everything during the period, as we have lots of centers and choice time, and most of my projects are ongoing and take a few sessions to complete.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 1, 2007

I remember my younger brother's teacher had a game called Mind Trap. It was a set of cards with lateral thinking puzzles. The kids could take a few to their desk at a time and try to solve them. Mind Trap is hard to find now because it's dated, but you may find it or something else like it at thrift stores to use.

14. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 1, 2007

I am going to do the "extra worksheets" for my 5th graders. Like yours, they will be fun activities (crosswords, word searches, cursive practice, a color page, a web search -so they will get to use the computer to finish the worksheet and much more). I will create some of the pages myself so that they tie into that weeks curriculum to reinforce what we are studying.

I will however have them keep them at their desks - I don't like students wandering around because it can be distracting to other students.

Of course, reading a book is also a choice:) I have what I call a "Book Talk" that kids fill out as they read. It is in a trifold brochure format and it asks students to "assess" what they read. 3 characters that you like or identify with and why (short answer), words you do not know, genre, 3 big events in the book and why they are significant (short answer), what did you like about this book, what did you dislike, and a few others. This is something the students fill out as they read, not at the end.

15. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 1, 2007

Mrs.Rhinochunks,

Do you have a copy of your "Book Talk" that you'd be willing to share? I would like to keep my kids accountable as they read, not just after, and that sounds like a great way to do just that!

MissMcCollum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.