Extra Time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iteachbx, Jul 2, 2013.

1. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2013

What do you do with your extra "free" over the summer that you can't seem to get to during the school year?

For example- I'm actually reading books that are not my students' literacy circle books or school related books! I love having time to read for my own pleasure. I'm also going to the gym everyday and I have energy to do more than just walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Even with summer school starting up soon I know I'll have wayy more energy than I do during the school year to keep this stuff up.

3. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jul 2, 2013

If I have a difficult course to prepare for, I try to do some preparation for it, but it has always been difficult for me to get school work done over the summer.

I try to work mostly on non-school related projects.

4. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 3, 2013

I'm getting to spend a lot of time with my little one during the day. We've done many fun things already this summer. We've gone to the zoo and the aquarium, played at the park, and just read books together (rather, I read and she listens since she's two). There are many other things I've been able to do so far, but this has been the most valuable use of my time. :)
    (edited to add: None of that is to say that I don't spend time with my girl during the school year...this just happens to be during the daytime when I'd normally be at school. :cool:)

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I just finished reading Under the Dome. I am watching it on TV as well. Not really impressed with either one.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2013

I read A LOT more (although I still have to read some books for pleasure during school), I work on projects (right now I have three quilts, a Christmas tree skirt and four cross-stitch projects going), I clean up all the piles of stuff that have accumulated around the house, see friends and neighbors a lot more, cook more and just don't have to rush all the time. I always do some school type stuff, and this summer I am doing a little more than usual because I am changing grade levels next year.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2013

I finished summer school about a week ago and have almost a two month break between then and when the school year starts. My new district is on a slightly different calendar than my old one and they start really late, while last year I started early and got out really early. Usually I'm in summer school for most of the time and get maybe a week or two completely off. I thought I'd be bored out of my mind, but so far I am loving it! I have been reading several books a week, working out every day and trying out new recipes. I've made social plans for just about every day so I can get out of the house too. I never have this much time to socialize- I feel like I'm in college again where I hung out with my friends every day! The best part is I never have to worry about going to work the next day or getting up early. I'm moving next week- I gave myself several days so I could take my time. In late July I'm going to see my family and my best friend from my home state. I'm sure by mid-August I'll start to get bored, but not yet!

I never plan during the summer. I find so much changes during the year that those who think they got ahead by planning end up having to redo everything. Last year I had the teacher's editions for our curriculums over the summer. I didn't have experience with any of them so I ended up not planning anything. I'm so glad I didn't, because when we got to school my principal basically informed us that we were not to use the curriculum materials at all. I'm not a fan of doing work twice!

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

I read actual grownup books. I lounge. I watch movies. I clean. I do laundry in a timely fashion. I play with the cat. I read the professional materials I don't have time or energy to get to during the school year. I work on lesson plans.

But mostly, I relax and take it easy at the beach :)

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 5, 2013

Readddddddd!

And clean.

But, more reading. :whistle:

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2013

That's the same reason I don't plan over the summer either. There's stuff I'm getting ready for my classroom....like I'm organizing all the non-fiction articles I used for lessons into a binder so I have them handy to make photo copies and little notes on what type of lesson I used each article for. But I'm not going to be doing any actual lesson planning.

11. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 5, 2013

Travel
    Watch daytime t.v.
    Eat lunch and use the bathroom without rushing
    Sleep in