Extra Time Go-To Activities

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 23, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2017

What are your go-to activities when you have some extra minutes or students finish something sooner than anticipated? Of course, it's good to plan ahead, but when you have to quickly wing it for whatever unforeseeable reason, what do you do?

My activity today was writing vocabulary words with blue vowels and red consonants (they need to know how to spell them correctly as well).

I've also:
    - put up quick write prompts, where students will write for about five minutes and then share with a partner
    - had students write 3 test-style questions about what they learned today, and then answer them
    - put students together in groups for a quiz style competition with questions related to our currently studied content

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 23, 2017

Read!

otterpop likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2017

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2017

Read, finish incomplete work, art sketchbook.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2017

Filling in a blank 100 chart as a group- not in order- they need to explain to the class how they knew what number should go where

Write a name or long word on the board, see how many small words they can make with the letters

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2017

Read, read, read! Or have some kids share about some of the books they're reading, while others have some kind of paper/pencil handy to jot down book ideas (kids tend to read more when they have a plan for books they want to read after the one they're currently reading).

Or, do some kind of open-ended math activity that drives number sense (going to try to do this more this year): a number talk, use estimation180.com or http://wodb.ca/ ...

If it's during literacy, I'll sometimes fit in an extra time (we usually do it anyways at some point during the week) of vocabulary charades. They work with a partner to figure out how they might act out each of the 8 vocab words, and then after about 5-7 minutes, I call up pairs one at a time to act it out, while others are trying to guess and be able to explain their guess / put it in a sentence.

otterpop likes this.
  8. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 1, 2017

I use coloringsquared.com particularly for the younger grades that need practice with math facts. It's "coloring" so they don't see it as working. It's my sneaky way of getting them to practice their math facts. Another math game: a pair of students splits a deck of cards (number cards only), say they are working on multiplication--- each student flips over their top card and the first student to correctly answer (using a full sentence, IE: four times five is twenty) gets both cards, most cards wins. It sounds silly, but my kiddos got super competitive.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 3, 2017

Most of the time I have them read. Sometimes I'll give a writing prompt related to what we have been working on and ask for five lines of writing about that topic (and then read if they finish that early!).