Extra time for missing test review?

Discussion in 'High School' started by oliviaik, Nov 1, 2011.

1. oliviaik

oliviaik Rookie

Nov 1, 2011

Okay, today I gave my biology students a test over genetics. Two of the kids in my last hour were absent yesterday for the test review. They told me that they shouldn't have to take the test. I told them that they did have to take the test because they were here for all of the material and they knew that the test would be today. If they were absent yesterday, they still should have known about the test today and studied for it. Well, one kid refused to take the test and started to make a scene. Our principal was not in the office today, so I couldn't send him to talk to him. So, I pulled a free teacher from next door to talk to him (he is more of a disciplinarian with the kids and was the teacher I took over for in this class). The other teacher talked to the kid and convinced him to take his test.

While I am going to discuss the incident with the principal tomorrow, I am wondering a couple of things. First of all, should I give extra time to kids who miss a test review? I still don't believe that I should, but am I in the minority on this? Also, what should I do with a student who openly defies me in class when the principal is not present. We don't have a dean or anyone else in charge of discipline except the principal. We also don't have any assistant principals.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 1, 2011

How much of a notice did the kids have that there would be a test? I'm assuming at least 2 days, since there was a review.

I always make it a point to announce tests and quizzes at least 3 days in advance. I also post it on our announcement board. I make the announcement that the test date will be <Thursday>, and the make up will be <Friday> (fill in your own days). If a kid is gone on Wednesday, this gives him no reason to make a fuss. Sorry, but you've known since at least Monday that there was a test.

Of course, there are always circumstances where exceptions need to be made, but for the most part, this is how it is. Deal.

As for arguing kids, um, no. An argument, by definition needs two participants, and this side won't be participating. "You have 2 choices, take the test, or receive a 0. Make your choice, and live with it. Now, if you will excuse me, the rest of us are ready to take a test."

End of discussion. Don't like it, there's the door.

4. Math

Math Cohort

Nov 1, 2011

:thumb:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2011

I always tell my kids to "take the test and see how you do." At least half the time, they're satisfied with the grade they receive.

I would be fine with him taking a makeup after school when he got around to it. Of course, he would have to get the notes he missed. Then think about staying after school for review. Then staying after for the makeup.

Most kids don't want to bother.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2011

totally agree with kc 100%

my testing policy is in my syllabus and states "students will take test as scheduled unless excused absences more than two days before test. If you are absent the day before a scheduled test or on the day of the test, YOU WILL TAKE THE TEST ON THE FIRST DAY YOU RETURN BACK TO SCHOOL." My first few years teaching I did not have this policy in writing nor did I consistly follow through with this and it was a nightmare!! So, now my policy is in my syallbus, clearly stated and no arguments.

As to the argument your student put up about taking the test, kc again is 100% on target - two choices, take the test or get a zero.

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 2, 2011

Our school policy is that if they are they when the test is announced, they are to take the test. If they are absent on the day of a test, they take it as soon as they get back.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 2, 2011

If all that was missed was the review then he really has no ground to stand on. If he missed class maybe, but that's a flimsy maybe. These kids are in high school. Except for extenuating circumstances they need to be responsible and get the information they have missed.

9. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

My policy is similar and is stated in the syllabus, of which I keep a signed copy (by both student and parent). When students try to use the excuse that they were absent for a review, I refer them back to their syllabus. I have received no arguments since then.

10. steacher1

steacher1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2012

I would check with your schools policy on absences. I've been in schools where they were allowed an extra day.

11. Red Apple

Red Apple Rookie

Feb 5, 2012

Definitely check with the school's policy, but I liked kcjo13's response the best. That is nonsense, I am sure the other students would like an extra day to study too, but no such luck.

As for the discipline, that is a problem; what do you do if something really bad happens and there is no principle? I would talk to your district and see if you can come up with a chain of command.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

In most schools, if the principal is out of the building, another administrator (vice principal, dean) is 'in charge'. There have been rare occasions when there has been no administrator in my building for a brief time on a rare day...in that case, there is a teacher in charge.