Extra time at end of class

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by amsouthern, Sep 9, 2015.

1. amsouthern

amsouthern New Member

Sep 9, 2015

What are some creative activities you do at the end of your class period if you finished your lesson too early and have extra time?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2015

Vocab review is always a go-to for me.

4. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 9, 2016

I don't know where I found this file - perhaps here. I can send it to you if you want. It is a series of logic questions in various subjects. I use them as bellringers sometimes just to change things up a bit.

You can google the title below too.

5 Minutes Left: What Do I Do? Puzzles

Directions: These are all classroom-tested puzzle “time fillers” that every teacher needs to have when a planned lesson ends earlier than anticipated or the kids just need a break. Some puzzles don’t work well; these all do. What they have in common is that they are challenging, engaging to students, and effective problem-solving/critical thinking activities. Some involve language skills, some involve math, and some both. All you need is your marker, a whiteboard, and a few minutes. Enjoy!

1. Which letter in this line-up is the odd one out and why? HEINZSOX
    2. If Caesar ordered 40 extra-large togas and 50 large togas, how many medium-sized togas did he order?
    1. Which digit completes the final number in this ongoing series?
    24, 81, 63, 26, 41, 28, 25, 65, 1__

Answers are included - I believe there are 100 of them and the kids get very competitive.

heatherberm likes this.
  5. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

May 9, 2016

I usually let my kids work on homework, study vocabulary words, or read their free choice book. Lately, we've been playing "Attack." I found the original game play idea on Pinterest. The site will not let me post a link, but look for "Grudgeball" on Pinterest. Most times we play with review questions (test prep) or sometimes I let the kids play without questions. They love it and request it!

MsZzz likes this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 9, 2016

If your kids have devices, I recommend Quizlet Live! It is so easy and the kids LOVE it!

7. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jun 2, 2016

For the kids that finish early, I always have something else planned for them that they can have fun with.
    If we are working on figurative language, I have given them printer paper or an index card so they can create their own example and draw it out.
    One time when we read an article about aliens from our Scholastic magazine, and when they finished all their work I gave them a paper so they could draw out what they thought aliens would look like and they were able to stick it up on the wall when they were done.
    I teach the intensive section of Language Arts and I have some amazing artists. They love it when they can use their gift.

*Edit*
    Regardless of subject, if your kids have access to the school wifi, or you have tablets/ipads/laptops in your classroom your kids could play Kahoots and review whatever subject you are covering. You could either make them or just use ones that are already made. Kahoots is a really fun way to engage the kids though.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jun 2, 2016

We play Grudgeball before every unit test as a review and my kids love it. We played it today, just for fun, to take a break from all the end of the year testing. When I go to pick them from the class they have before me, I bring the ball we use and as soon as they see it they start. "ARE WE PLAYING GRUDGEBALL TODAY? GUYS, WE'RE PLAYING GRUDGEBALL TODAY!" Definitely a fun time-filler.

I'd second Quizlet Live too. I have one group that complains about the randomized teams, but I have another group that begs for it.

Readalouds are always good time-fillers too. Even my 6th graders still love being read to.

9. Nab

Nab Companion

Jul 3, 2016

Kahoot quizzes are great to help review what was taught that day. Grudgeball seems to really be beloved by students, too. Any game where they can challenge their friends and review seems to be great. I've seen eighteen year olds get really crazy with it.

I know a teacher who shows Schoolhouse Rock videos (or other educational videos) to review what was done that day.

A friend has 'challenge' sheets. Students can (or rather have to) pick them up, if they finish assignments early. They are everything from logic questions/sheets, to reviews on things they learned during the last grading period, to articles (about technology, science, historical events, current events, historical figures) that they read and then write summaries/reviews on, to concepts that they will be learning in the near future, to cross word puzzles and word searches. My friend has several copies pre-made for days when they finish early.

On a side note: she has separate packets of similar challenge sheets for days when she is unexpectedly out. She keeps them in a special area, along with a "Sub Binder".

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 4, 2016

In Social Studies, sometimes we would discuss places we'd visited and WHAT WE LEARNED from those experiences. I'd start off just to model what I expected.

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2016

Plickers is a really fun free APP to use for content review. Only the teacher needs technology. It is very engaging. Google it :)

MLB711 likes this.
  13. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 28, 2016

I like to do read alouds in language arts. Sometimes we have a class novel, other times I might do a short story from Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul or something like that. For social studies, I like to play garbage ball, they crumble up a paper and toss it as they tell what they learned. Usually, we run out of time because our classes are 50 minutes.