Extra Pay for extra grades?

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by slieske, May 24, 2010.

1. slieske

slieske Rookie

May 24, 2010

Does your district pay you more for teaching more than one age level? I found a district in our area that pays base plus 5% for teaching multiple grades. I am curious is that the rule or the exception?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 20, 2011

I wish! The only perk multi age classes get in my district is that the class gets the smallest kid count of any like grade classroom.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

No. We get paid for taking on extra classes; I've gotten an extra stipend all year for picking up a class from a colleague battling cancer. (though very happily, chemo and radiation are over and it looks like she'll be back full time next year.)

We're expected to be able to teach any grade or grades wtihin our area of certification. This year I teach freshmen, sophs and juniors, and get paid no more than if I taught any one grade all day long.

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 21, 2011

We get paid simply by our years in the district and level of education.

I was always told in school SPED pays more. Here it doesn't. We make a nice salary though, but there are disadvantages too. We MUST live in the city (higher cost of living) and the mayor is insisting we will work 2 more hours next year with no more pay. Who knows how that will pan out.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

No. All teachers, regardless of their teaching assignment, are paid on the same salary scale.

7. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 21, 2011

No extra pay here.

8. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

No extra pay here.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2011

No extra pay here, although Montessori is intended to be multi-aged groupings.

10. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 1, 2011

When I have looked at the collective bargaining agreements (CBA) for various schools in my area they all have a section about extra pay for taking an extra class at the middle/high school levels since the teacher is giving up their prep period.

Chicagoturtle - It is amazing how many people are under the assumption special ed pays more. As long as you are working at a school with a CBA you follow the steps of the pay scale.