Extra Income

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Oct 22, 2014.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 25, 2014

I just opened my TPT store last month. I haven't made millions or even hundreds of dollars yet, but I still can't complain. I just upgraded to the premium membership a couple of days ago.
    With a basic seller account you get 60% of a product sold minus a $0.30 transaction free. So on a $5 item you would make $2.70. With a premium membership you'd make $4.25 on that same item.
    The premium membership is $59.95 a year.

2. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2014

I think is like to sell my baby quilts on Etsy. I'm making them anyway, so...

I'd also like to sell my novel units on TPT, but I use a lot of Thinking Maps, and I'm not sure if that's ok to have in lessons or not.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2014

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 26, 2014

I work for ets...and have for years. They use to be great, but not so much the last two years. They will schedule and then cancel on you. They use to pay if they waited to cancel up to two days half salary...now none. They also use to be nice about emergency canceling, now not so much. But I have worked for them so long, I make over $20 an hour. Great pay to work in pajamas.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2014

mrachelle87, thanks a lot for the info.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2014

I remember scoring with ETS for the MET Study that the Gates Foundation did...despite the early hours and how it didn't mesh amazingly well with my subbing schedule, I was getting $24/hr as a scoring lead. Not bad for PJ work! :)

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I might suggest...some community colleges will allow you to teach remedial/college prep courses with experience only, not a Masters. Mine will-we have college prep reading, writing, and 2 levels of college prep math.

Also, most community colleges have some type of continuing education department-if it's like mine, we are always on the lookout for people who can teach a class. It could be something education related, or floral arrangements, or crocheting, or essential oils, or whatever. If you have a special talent, you might contact that department and offer up your services. If you can do something regularly, and can get a following, you can make some decent extra money. When I started my job, I immediately recruited my former colleagues to teach what I knew they were good at. One is teaching an Office class, one does essential oils, one does couponing, and another does a painting class.

Hope that helps!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2014

mathmagic, yes $20+/hr for WAH work is definitely a good gig! Hopefully, I can stay w/ them for yrs. :thumb:

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

I have started a photography business on the side this year. It' been a hobby of mine for a couple years and with my husband back at school full time, it's helping us collect some holiday money. It's also exciting to build a business that may expand into a nice chunk of change during the summer and holiday months!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2014

This is a fun thread to read!

Right now I teach GATE classes for 4th and 5th grade after school. I make just under 1k, twice a year, before taxes. Not bad, and I get to keep the supplies I order in my room.

I also have items up on TPT. I started a blog to promote them, but I'm terrible about keeping it up. I make about $50 a month doing that, $100 in the summer. There's huge potential if you have the time to devote to it. I have grand ideas, but other things keep popping up. I def. recommend the premium account-I'm kicking myself for not getting it from the beginning. It's amazing how much more you make once you've bought it.

When I had Sprout, I could bring in $1,000 a month selling classroom supplies online. Sometimes several times that in the summer. I'd like to get that going again at some point, but again-I need to find the time. ;)

My husband and I have business ideas coming out of our ears. I have a Silhouette Cameo and can make items with vinyl/heat transfer vinyl. I've thought about setting up an Etsy shop to sell the items, but then it would turn my fun hobby into a business under pressure.

I have a hyper-local site built (where you list all the local events/write blog posts about local happenings) and we want to get that up and running this summer so we can start getting advertisers for it.

We've also joked that we should start a business in town renting out metal detectors (we're on a beach) and give it a pirate theme-tourists could 'hunt for treasure'. It's actually not a bad idea and no one is doing it right now.

Part of me thinks I should go down to part time and start putting some of these ideas into action-I'd probably make double what I'm making right now! Ha!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

I have a friend that sells things on TPT. She makes around $2000/month. She's been selling on the site for a little over a year.

12. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Oct 28, 2014

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I just applied for one of the grader positions and I passed the first round. Here's to some extra $$!

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2014

I was asked to play the church service last night. I think the lady who currently plays them is ready to give some of them up; she mentioned talking more about setting up a rotation. If so, that's great--an extra $100/month for not much extra work at all. They don't do all the hymns at the evening service, and I can easily play them on the piano (as opposed to the organ) without much practice needed. :)

14. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 10, 2015

I know this thread is from last year but that extra $100 a month is going to come in handy...I have a part time work from home job that I get between $125-$175 a month and let me tell you its become my food shopping money for the past 6 months!

Every little bit helps:D

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 10, 2015

Has anyone ever tried working for Uber or Lyft? These are car service companies, and you can pick up fares and drive people around.
    I started signing up, but haven't finished the process (need to send a picture of my driver's license, registration, etc, which I will do).
    Does anyone know how much you make per fare? It says you must have a 2005 or newer car (I just bought a 2008 BMW X3), and it looks like with an SUV there is more money to be paid.
    Any insights?