Extra Income

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ECE ABC, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 22, 2014

Just wondering who here takes on extra jobs for extra income?

I am officially back to tutoring this week. I have one student i see 2 mornings a week (for an hour) before school starts and i am only charging $20 an hour so her mom jumped at it:D

I also do product studies for a local Research Company. I have been doing this for 2 years now. I am currently in a study this month for laundry detergent..comparing brands..it'll be an extra $140.00 when I complete the study, the weekly diaries and the online comparison surveys at the end of the month!

Some months I can make hundreds of dollars on the studies, but then in the months when the studies pay less, the tutoring will really help out since its weekly.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2014

I worked retail while I was still subbing, up until I got my first long-term position (made Black Friday my last day :lol:), and also occasionally tutored, and helped with the Measures of Effective Teaching study that the Gates Foundation did. Now my only "extra" is something I've been doing for the past 7-8 years - writing math competition tests for a large state competition. I used to compete in it as a kid, and so writing the questions that the kids get to have fun figuring out is beyond rewarding (shh, I'd almost do it for free...ha!)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I tutor 7 hours a week at $65-70 per hour.

I also do after school dismissal duty which adds up to about $250 per month.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2014

I've PM'd you! :)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 22, 2014

I took an intern this year, and I was accepted into the superintendent's leadership cadre. Those two are an extra couple of thousand.

I have done medical research, too. I'm too busy to do it right now. It's usually a summer project.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

Wow! I live in a really nice town, but the parents here would never pay that much for tutoring! It was a struggle to get one parent to pay $25! (I charged her that much because I had to travel 20 minutes to get to her house). Otherwise, I charge my parents $20 an hour. I have 5 students that I work with for a total of 6 hours a week. I teach part-time so I also work at a local business assisting in accounting.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 22, 2014

I grade Praxis and tutor three hours a week for $20 an hour.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I know a few who get more depending on extra certs....:blush:

I wouldn't tutor for $20... I think babysitters make $15 per.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 22, 2014

I sell wreaths on etsy and at craft shows. It's more a social thing for me than anything else.

11. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 22, 2014

Aside from grad school, I tutor for $35 an hour. One of my clients is a senior in high school and I'm tutoring him in the Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension portions of the ASVAB. Although I could likely ask more and get it (his parents are very impressed), it's been rewarding for the both of us and is only 2 hours every Sunday, so I don't mind.

I'm hoping to start substitute teaching soon, but will likely limit it to two or three days a week. Anymore than that and I'm afraid my grades will slip (maintaining a 4.0 GPA).

OP…how did you get involved with the product studies? That's something my wife (a homemaker) would probably love to do.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

I'll be asst coaching the swim team at a private school for $17/hour. Not so much for the money, more to get my foot in the door.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2014

I sold a prep. I don't mind doing that because the money is really good and my "extra job" is contained within the school day, so I can still enjoy my evenings and weekends.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

Last summer I worked summer school, for me that's an extra month pay - kind of like an extra job, all within month. I don't think I could ever tutor, after school my brain os sometimes fried and the last thing I'd want to do would be to work with a student. Maybe on the weekends?
    I've been thinking that sometime in the future I'd like to teach a college course, I don't think I qualify yet, but it would be a little extra income and get my foot in the college world.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

I need to find a way to make money. I sell Thirty-One, but you have to sell $200 every three months to stay active. I will be inactive pretty soon since I have no prospects. It is too saturated in my area. So I think I will be leaving it behind soon.

I've created some digital posters and stuff to use as props in pictures for my niece (inside a frame). I need to buy the license to the fonts I used so I can try and sell them on Etsy. I enjoy doing that kind of stuff, so maybe that will turn into something. I thought about trying TPT but I just don't have any 'new' ideas. And I think there is too much out there to be successful with digitally dressing up old/standard ideas. Over saturation again. Always late to the party :rolleyes:

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2014

My three weeks of summer school brought in 2/3 of a regular two week paycheck. I don't think that I will do it next year. Maybe if I could net over $1,000 it would be worth it.

17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2014

I am going to start teaching an evening French class for two hours a week. It's almost no prep work and the students are motivated adults, but I'm still not excited about doing it on top of everything else. That being said, I need the extra $$ for my Christmas trip to Florida (going to the Harry Potter theme park!!).

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 22, 2014

I haven't done Teachers Pay Teachers, but it sounds like it is an easy way to make money. You are already making lesson plans, create powerpoints, hand outs, etc, why not sell it?

19. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 23, 2014

Thanks for the PM's and the responses!!!

For me, tutoring seems to be the easiest and quickest way to get some extra cash weekly which is what I need! I just had another parent today ask me about tutoring before/after school, i want to keep my weekends free.......i don't think I could get away with more than $20.00 an hour either:)

So between the research studies I do and the tutoring now, I am hoping to NOT touch my paychecks and use them just for paying bills now and the extra money I am making part time will be for me to save a little, buy something if I need it, go to dinner, etc.

20. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 23, 2014

I guess you could always become a dancer! I heard that can pay well! lol :p Just kidding!

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2014

If I did that, the place would pay me to leave! :lol:

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2014

I've kind of been missing my side job as my church organist (I moved churches when I got married, and the new church has an organist, although I might start subbing and/or become part of the rotation). It was an extra $50/week for about 2 1/2 hours (1 1/2 actually at church, and an hour or so to practice), plus extra midweek services during Advent and Lent.

The nice thing at my old church was that there was only one service, so it was time that I was going to be there anyway. :)

I also teach piano lessons. I'm in a pretty rural area, so the $10/half hour lesson is the most I can ask. Right now, I only have one student, but that's a little bit of extra spending money for not much extra effort or time...

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2014

You really had me laughing at that one! :lol:

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 23, 2014

:lol:

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 24, 2014

There is a HUGE demand for driver's ed teachers in my area... It's a great summer gig.

26. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 25, 2014

I have also working online doing surveys along with my research studies..i find it the easiest way for me right now..making money from home.

And the tutoring is really taking off. Some of the parents are requesting 30 min sessions before school so I am charging $15.00 for each 30 min session.

I think its going to work out well..rather tutor before school (at the school) then have my afternoons free and this way I can continue with the studies and the online surveys :)

Thanks again..love all the ideas!

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

Do you tutor your own students?

28. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Oct 25, 2014

I was wondering the same thing. If so, I believe a line may have been crossed. :eek:

29. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 25, 2014

No...these are students in my school so no, I had never met them until their parents contacted me :)

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 25, 2014

I started thinking about using TPT to make money. Is anyone doing that here? How much are you making overall?

It seems like it would be worth to try it, because I have over 2 years worth of things I've created, varying types, grade levels and levels of lesson plans, even several subjects, so might as well tweak them and use them.

I'm confused about one aspect. How much do you end up getting paid? What is the 'royalty fee"? The explanation with the different seller accounts didn't make sense.
    Let's say if I'm selling a lesson for $3, how much of that do I get?

31. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2014

Maybe PM iheartrecess to get some answers. I don't know how much she's made, but she is #9 on the all time top-sellers list. (Clutter Free Classroom) The #1 seller has sold millions of dollars. (More than $3,000,0000 last I knew.) I know pwhatley has dabbled some.

I know there are two ways to sell. You can sell with no flat fee and they take 40% of your sales. Or you can pay $59.95 for a year and they take 15% of your sales.

Personally, I would probably start out with the free/40% option until I could justify the $60 was worth it.

32. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Oct 25, 2014

I just opened my TPT store last month. I haven't made millions or even hundreds of dollars yet, but I still can't complain. I just upgraded to the premium membership a couple of days ago.
    With a basic seller account you get 60% of a product sold minus a $0.30 transaction free. So on a $5 item you would make $2.70. With a premium membership you'd make $4.25 on that same item.
    The premium membership is $59.95 a year.

33. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2014

I think is like to sell my baby quilts on Etsy. I'm making them anyway, so...

I'd also like to sell my novel units on TPT, but I use a lot of Thinking Maps, and I'm not sure if that's ok to have in lessons or not.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2014

35. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 26, 2014

I work for ets...and have for years. They use to be great, but not so much the last two years. They will schedule and then cancel on you. They use to pay if they waited to cancel up to two days half salary...now none. They also use to be nice about emergency canceling, now not so much. But I have worked for them so long, I make over $20 an hour. Great pay to work in pajamas.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2014

mrachelle87, thanks a lot for the info.

37. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2014

I remember scoring with ETS for the MET Study that the Gates Foundation did...despite the early hours and how it didn't mesh amazingly well with my subbing schedule, I was getting $24/hr as a scoring lead. Not bad for PJ work! :)

38. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 27, 2014

I might suggest...some community colleges will allow you to teach remedial/college prep courses with experience only, not a Masters. Mine will-we have college prep reading, writing, and 2 levels of college prep math.

Also, most community colleges have some type of continuing education department-if it's like mine, we are always on the lookout for people who can teach a class. It could be something education related, or floral arrangements, or crocheting, or essential oils, or whatever. If you have a special talent, you might contact that department and offer up your services. If you can do something regularly, and can get a following, you can make some decent extra money. When I started my job, I immediately recruited my former colleagues to teach what I knew they were good at. One is teaching an Office class, one does essential oils, one does couponing, and another does a painting class.

Hope that helps!

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2014

mathmagic, yes $20+/hr for WAH work is definitely a good gig! Hopefully, I can stay w/ them for yrs. :thumb:

40. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 27, 2014

I have started a photography business on the side this year. It' been a hobby of mine for a couple years and with my husband back at school full time, it's helping us collect some holiday money. It's also exciting to build a business that may expand into a nice chunk of change during the summer and holiday months!

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2014

This is a fun thread to read!

Right now I teach GATE classes for 4th and 5th grade after school. I make just under 1k, twice a year, before taxes. Not bad, and I get to keep the supplies I order in my room.

I also have items up on TPT. I started a blog to promote them, but I'm terrible about keeping it up. I make about $50 a month doing that, $100 in the summer. There's huge potential if you have the time to devote to it. I have grand ideas, but other things keep popping up. I def. recommend the premium account-I'm kicking myself for not getting it from the beginning. It's amazing how much more you make once you've bought it.

When I had Sprout, I could bring in $1,000 a month selling classroom supplies online. Sometimes several times that in the summer. I'd like to get that going again at some point, but again-I need to find the time. ;)

My husband and I have business ideas coming out of our ears. I have a Silhouette Cameo and can make items with vinyl/heat transfer vinyl. I've thought about setting up an Etsy shop to sell the items, but then it would turn my fun hobby into a business under pressure.

I have a hyper-local site built (where you list all the local events/write blog posts about local happenings) and we want to get that up and running this summer so we can start getting advertisers for it.

We've also joked that we should start a business in town renting out metal detectors (we're on a beach) and give it a pirate theme-tourists could 'hunt for treasure'. It's actually not a bad idea and no one is doing it right now.

Part of me thinks I should go down to part time and start putting some of these ideas into action-I'd probably make double what I'm making right now! Ha!