Extra Help...the Day of the Assessment...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RadiantBerg, Dec 9, 2013.

1. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 9, 2013

I give out test study guides at least 1.5 weeks before the test. I am available before school EVERY DAY for 45 minutes, after school 2 days a week for an hour, and during one of my free periods EVERY DAY. I constantly remind them to come for extra help as soon as trouble is encountered, and not to wait....but surely enough I get maybe 1-2 kids (out of 120) who come a few days ahead of time....then I get maybe 5 who stay after school the day before, and then I get at least 30 frantic students the morning of the test (or in some cases, the period before if they come in my free period).

Some teachers in my department refuse extra help the day of the assessment as they fear it would not be assessing what was truly learned, and rather, something that was quickly memorized. I do agree with them here, but I have a hard time refusing extra help to students. I am very tempted to adopt their policy of no extra help the day of the test because it annoys me when a kid comes the morning of the test proclaiming he/she has no idea what's going on.

What do you think? Do you give extra help the day of the assessment, or only ahead of time?

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Since I teach 2nd grade, this doesn't really apply to my teaching experience, but I can relate to those last-minute students from back when I was a student. I was the one that went to my teachers the morning of the test, asking questions. Quite honestly, I would often study for tests the night before, because if I studied any earlier, I would often forget the information by the time I took the test. Plus, what if they had a study hall in the morning, were reviewing a little before the test (even after studying hard in the weeks leading up), and suddenly came across something that they needed clarification on?

I don't think I would refuse help the day of the test, because what would parents say if their child said, "I went to Mrs. R, but she wouldn't help me." Granted they would know your policy, but still...I think it's great that you're willing to help your students whenever they need it!

4. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 9, 2013

This is sometimes the case, and I tell them that my help the day of should only be for very quick questions. Unfortunately some of them come in with almost blank study guides expecting to be retaught everything.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 9, 2013

Yikes, that wouldn't be good! Would it be possible to have a 1 question only rule the day of the test?

6. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Dec 9, 2013

Well I don''t even need that as an official rule---since I get like 30 kids the morning of the test, they only really can ask like one question each haha.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2013

If your policy is that you tutor kids in the mornings and during your free time (plan), then I guess you should honor this policy even on test day.

I don't meet with kids in the morning and I will only meet with them during my plan if they are doing something independent like taking a test or finishing an assignment. If they need help, they need to stay afterschool.

I just would not set up a situation where students would come to me on test day for extensive help because this is asking for trouble/a headache.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 9, 2013

We are expressly forbidden from reviewing with students on the day of a test. Students are given the first 10 minutes of the class period to review on their own/with each other, but we are not allowed to participate. So, I wouldn't offer it myself.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 10, 2013

You've trained the students to behave this way. They know they can wait until the last minute so they do.

I would put a stop to it completely. There is no way they can retain information with this practice and as I said, it is training them to approach "studying" this way. IMO, you are actually doing them a disservice with this enabling.

You don't like it, you don't like what it does to them academically, so stop! Tell them with at least a week's notice and be done with it.

10. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Dec 10, 2013

Strict policy

I give out study materials and practice activities a week before the test as well. I have a strict policy that if a student needs help or wants to show me review work to be sure they are on the right track, they must show me at least two school days before the scheduled test. That way, I can give feedback and if anything needs to be clarified the discussion can happen right there and then. I will look at the students' work the next day (the day before the test) to check for improvement. I will not look at any review activities from "last minute Lucy." Parents and students know this policy and I put it on my website EVERY time I hand out test prep materials.

IMHO, students who do not study until the night before the test are just trying to pass. They will lose the information/skill as soon as they turn in their papers. Even if they earn passing grades because I help them last minute, it will not be an accurate representation of their learning. I refuse to be a participant in that.

Regarding the concern of parent complaints that you would not help these students, my response would be something like...

"I can't imagine where "Lucy" would have gotten that idea. I was available at (list all times since the students were informed of test date) and she never came for extra help!"

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2013

I'll be happy to help kids who want to clarify a quick point. But I simply can't get to school early enough to have a large before school session.

To the kids with the blank study guides, I would say: "I have 10 minutes, and 3 kids are here already. You start the guide, and let me know where you get lost." Then I would move on to the next kid.