Extra Credit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jun 26, 2010.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2010

Not me.

2. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Jun 28, 2010

I do not give extra credit. Typically students who ask for extra credit, do not so the "regular" credit.

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 28, 2010

Nope. I don't offer extra credit.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

I offered extra credit, but in a novel way.

We had a "Book Recommendation" section in the classroom. The students could fill out a small form, giving the name of the book and the author's name. They would say why they recommneded the book and fill out a synopsis section. They would then post the recommendations on the wall for others to see.

For every five recommendations a student wrote, he or she would receive a five-point credit on an assignment of my choice.

The kids loved it!

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2010

I guess I'm in the minority here also, because I will offer an extra credit opportunity now and then. Mostly this is because I have strong opinions regarding grades. I don't just hand out points because a student wants a C instead of a D, but I do understand that not every assignment I give fits every student. EC can be a motivator, and most importantly, a way for me to evaluate whether or not a student has reached standards mastery. I could give a paper/pencil, true/false, multiple choice, essay test (or whatever) every time I wanted to evaluate, but that wouldn't be very intelligent on my part. As we all know, not all students do well with this, so an EC opportunity might be to write a story, or draw a picture, or compose a song, or some other kinesthetic activity-about the exact same topic. That way, the student feels a lot less apprehension about the "test", I can still evaluate whether or not he "gets" the topic at hand, and (to please parents and my principal), the grade appropriately reflects the student's level of mastery.

6. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks JustMe, I just didn't want to come across the wrong way. You know, some times I do - in the real world and virtual!:haha: So thanks for "getting me".

7. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Jun 29, 2010

:)
    I like this idea. It gives the students a chance to be vocal about something they like. Just might have to borrow that one.:)

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2010

No.

They have to study and relearn and prove they understand the original material.

9. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Jun 30, 2010

I do the same only I don't call it extra credit. I call it differentiation or alternative assessment.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 30, 2010

My bonus opportunities:
    1) 3 one point bonus questions on tests and exams.
    2) The winner(s) of the review games get an extra 5 points on their test.
    3) I drop the lowest quiz.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2010

I like this, but I agree with JoJo. Upon first reading your explanation I thought your approach sounded more like differenciated instruction and less like extra credit.

I just make sure that I appeal to the multiple intelligences throughout each unit and provide choices. I have to give MC and Open Response tests, but tests are certainly not the only types of assessments, and I'm sure to assess differently throughout the unit so that those students who are not good test takers have other opportunities to prove their understanding. I know not everyone has control over this, but my tests are not weighted so heavily that it absolutely kills a student's grade.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 30, 2010

kcjo, do you ever come across students with Bs trying to do an extra credit assignment to boost up to an A? I would think that by calling it extra credit, it would have to be available to all students.