Extra Credit Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ACardAttack, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Im teaching high school math and was trying to think of extra credit ideas, any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2010

We're actually not allowed to give extra credit anymore-- school policy.

But, even when it was allowed, I gave 3 points at the end of at test, to keep the early finishers busy. It was anything from current events to a brain teaser, to figuring out the words behind abbreviations like FDA and CIA.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of big Extra Credit assignments. In my experience, the kids who ask for extra credit tend to be the ones who don't know the regular work. Giving them EXTRA is far less productive than just getting them into the habit of doing the regular assignment. Of course, the kids who actually DO the extra work tend to be the kids with the 99% averages, who are already quite solid on what's been taught in class.

Sorry, I'm not of much help to you on this.

4. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Aug 9, 2010

Totally agree...it would be small pts that over the course of a trimester could get you from like a B- to a B, or like a C+ to a B-...

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Test corrections would be a good extra credit assignment.
    Let students fix their tests and/or do a similar problem for a few extra points. That way they are still learning the basic material.

6. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I do something a little different as extra credit. Since I teach mostly freshmen, I want them to experience some new things here in high school. I tell them about events happening at school, (plays, concert, or a "minor" sporting event) that I will be attending. If they go and then write a paragraph describing what they saw/learned, I give them extra credit. If they go, they have to check in with me first so I know they actually attended (I keep a little notebook in my pocket so I can write down names at the event), then they give me the paragraph within a few days.

I am pleasantly surprised to find that this exposure to events usually leads to some kids joining the drama club, the waterpolo or rugby teams, or some other activity they have not experienced previously.

The only other extra credit I give is when kids turn in major papers/projects early; I want to encourage them to get things done before the due date.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 9, 2010

Extra credit is very rare in my classes. I have a review game before each unit test. The winner(s) of the review game get a 5 point bonus to their test. I also have three, one point bonus questions on each test. Unused late work passes can also be turned in for extra credit at the end of the term, I believe each one is worth a certain amount of points added to their term exam, quiz, or test. Other than that, I will add an extra 105% to the organization, participation, and effort part of my student's grades for those who constantly participate in class or had exceptional effort despite bad grades.

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 9, 2010

This is a great idea :)

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2010

In my classroom I call it an Extra Assignment or Enrichment Assignment. I feel strongly that anything affecting a student's grade should be in the curriculum, so I would never give credit for bringing in tissues or something like that.

I also have a rule that no one with zeros in the gradebook gets extra credit. If you can't do your regular work, why would I accept extra work? Extra credit is for those who work hard in class and would like to challenge themselves with an extra assignment, not for those who don't do their work all semester and then suddenly want to boost their grades.

I will give an assignment, usually 1 per MP or semester, and it is usually pretty involved, like writing an essay or reading something pretty lengthy. It is not a gift by any means.

I don't really see this as extra credit as much as I see it as differentiated instruction. In the gradebook, I just put an ex (excused) next to anyone who chose not to do it.

Additionally, I may give "bonus homework" where I would say "write an extended response explaining XYZ and give it to me tomorrow and I will give you 5 HW points." This is optional and if a student turns it in correctly, I would just plug in 5 points to another homework assignment, like if they got 10/15 on something, I would just override it to 15/15.

Either way, it doesn't show up as extra credit in my gradebook.

10. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Myself along with the other bio teacher will do an after school shark dissection in April for extra credit. We usually get a good show for that.

Otherwise extra credit is rare.

11. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

I let my students correct their work for half of the points. I like it because if a student has a bad day, then that one bad grade won't lower their grade much.

12. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I teach Pre-Algebra and Algebra--- My extra credit is test corrections. They can earn half points back by redoing the missed problems.

OCCASIONALLY, I will give some math brain teaser and have them complete that after a test too. BUT, they can only receive extra credit if ALL their work has been turned in. I think it motivates them a little more to complete the work and turn it in.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 10, 2010

The biology cluster where I work has outlawed extra credit. I like the idea of test corrections and did that last year when I taught chemistry. Students can earn back some of their missed test questions. I liked it because it helped with mastery and gave me a leg to stand on when students who had poor grades came in complaining with their parents. I showed everyone the paper they signed which discussed the corrections and point out that Johnny chose not to come in on his time to do them.

Extra credit should not be done in place of regular work. Nor should it mean more work for the teacher. From a student's and parent's perspective, I love extra credit. But I can understand why the cluster has banned it.