Extra Credit for Math Students

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Math4life, May 4, 2013.

1. Math4life

Math4life Rookie

May 4, 2013

This week in my schools E.O.C. week. I was planning on giving the students some time to not learn anything new. I was going to give my students some extra credit assignments to work on, but I cannot think of anything off the top of my head. Do you have any ideas? (I teach Algebra 1)

3. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

May 4, 2013

What doe E.O.C. stand for?
    Instead of giving extra credit, why not assign an application-type project that involves something they have already learned this year?

4. Math4life

Math4life Rookie

May 5, 2013

E.O.C. stands for End Of Course Test. Its a state test. I thought about a project, but I was not sure where to go with one just yet.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

When I was in algebra (I think algebra 2), we did a music application. We created a function and then used number pianos and base 13 (I think) to create our own music. It was pretty interesting to look at the functions that produced beautiful music and those that didn't work.

You could do something with cooking and quantities involving making a meal for larger or smaller amounts of guests. You could look at planning a trip with mileage, gas prices, time, etc.

6. Math4life

Math4life Rookie

May 7, 2013

That is a really good idea! Thank you!