Extra class time

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by smith1234, Sep 9, 2015.

1. smith1234

smith1234 New Member

Sep 9, 2015

What are some useful, creative ways to fill extra class time? For example, when a lesson is finished early, and I want to keep students from having too much time on their hands. For clarification, this is a history classroom.

3. abela

abela New Member

Sep 9, 2015

I also ask this question and am seeking the advice of experienced teachers.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 9, 2015

Have a collection of famous quotes, write one on the board and give strips of paper to students (1/4 of a note book paper). Students write their interpretation or what that quote means to them.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2015

For history, put some copies of the Timeline game, and challenge students to put some random events in order, either in teams or as a class.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 10, 2015

At the beginning of each lesson, I pose a Daily Question (for example, today's was: How did trade routes between the empires help spread religion in the 15th/16th century?) that we are endeavoring to find the answer to through our notes. If I have time left at end, I ask students to use their new notes to write a paragraph response to that question.

7. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Sep 13, 2015

CNN student news video. When I taught U.S. History to 8th graders, I would start each day with the video. It's about 10 minutes.

The last time I taught U.S. History was a couple of years ago. I have the same students again in English and last week, and they asked if we could start watching them again.

It's about 10 minutes long. It goes over a couple of big events in the world, a little quiz and generally some story about a kid or kids doing something-starting a charity, building robots, etc.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 18, 2015

I think you'll see some administrative pushback if you start having the history students dance or do yoga during their lessons. :p

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 18, 2015

There shouldn't be too much extra class time if the lesson is well planned. The key is to over plan a bit. Are there extra enrichment articles/essays they could discuss related to the history topic? You can have them on hand in case you have extra time.

10. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Sep 19, 2015

I'm not crazy about the anchor on CNN Student News and I think they waste too much time with the roll call, but I haven't found anything else as good. It can be used for both middle school and high school.

:agreed: I strongly agree with you. I think one of the biggest problems in education is too many teachers don't teach bell to bell. It makes me think about my 9th grade English teacher who never had enough time to teach everything she wanted to teach. She sometimes kept us a minute after the bell rang because she was still teaching.