Extending the school day and ending Summer vacation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cheerlead567, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Cheerlead567

Cheerlead567 Rookie

Aug 19, 2015

Would you be in favor of extending the school day and ending Summer vacation?

I oppose this. I'd hate to take away awesome experiences away in the name of increasing test scores.

Not every student who participates in an athletic activity does it through their school. Ever heard of competitive cheerleading? Competitive cheerleading is more than waving pom poms at football players.

If you are going to do this extended school day and no Summer vacation you better be willing to pay for each Jr High and High School setting up the extra athletic teams.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 19, 2015

Heck no. Summer vacation (and yes, I realize it's unpaid) is a perk of the job. However, I'm not opposed to a year-round system where I would still get breaks as a perk of the job. But do I think we should go from 9 months of school to 12? No.

Extending the day... eh, possibly. It depends on how much, and I'd have to see some good data that doing so is generally beneficial in most ways.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2015

I wouldn't be completely opposed to either. As far as the school day goes, if there was a proposal to add 30 minutes to the school day, but simultaneously requiring all students to have one uninterrupted, unstructured free period (recess at the elementary level, either an activity period or study hall for secondary) of at least thirty minutes and a minimum amount of art, music, and PE instruction per week, then I'm all in. If you add thirty minutes to the day to use for test prep, then [redacted] that and [redacted] anyone who proposes it.

As far as the school year goes, I'd LOVE to cut the summer break down to a month, and redistribute the break time throughout the school year.

For either one though, if you add contract hours, you had better compensate teachers appropriately.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 19, 2015

As far as sports go... I'll be the spoil-sport here and say that I fully support the European model, where sports are done independently of school.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 19, 2015

No way. My summer is too short as it is. I don't want to redistribute it or anything. I like doing internship stints trying out jobs in the real world to bring the experience back to the classroom and the minimum time length for most of them is 8 weeks. Some are minimum 10 weeks (I can't do those ones because our summer is only 8 weeks). That leaves me with very little actual summer time to just relax.

Our kids have enough school already. Their brains shut off before 6th period anyway, so it's not like keeping them longer will improve anything.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2015

Wait, what? No. Who is suggesting this?

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2015

This has been tried here in Phoenix. One of our school districts (Balz?) got a large federal grant to expand school year to 200 days. All it has created is a huge amount of teacher turnover. There has been no clear sign of academic gains. Wouldn't be surprised if the district eventually stops the extended school year.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 20, 2015

I would be fine with year-round school with breaks spread throughout. I'd also be fine with a slightly shorter summer.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 20, 2015

I am under contract to work a summer program each June. If my regular job decided to change schedule and require me to work during June, I would have to find a new regular job. I can't blame the teachers who were hired contracted to work certain days for leaving when they found out they would be working different days. My regular job would have to make up the difference in pay to consider getting me to stay, and my summer job pays more than my hourly rate for 20 extra days of employment by the school district would, so I doubt that would happen.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2015

Are you a student in a district considering this?

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2015

Agreed, as long as I'm paid for any additional days added to my contract.

Longer school days? No. They are long enough as is, especially for students. I'd only be in favor of that if it was extra teacher prep or collaboration time.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2015

Obama on the extension of the day and less vacation days - don't think he proposed eliminating it altogether though.

It's been a big discussion since the release of 2 Million Minutes (http://www.2mminutes.com/) and The Global Achievement Gap some years ago.

And my answer is yes, and yes. Also, I couldn't care less what it means about school sports. Subsidizing sports programs while cutting art programs has never made sense to me.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 20, 2015

I firmly believe that extending the school day will not result in higher standardized test scores! I won't even begin to list the reasons why I feel this way.

I wish I would've written my thesis on this topic. I feel very strongly about it.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2015

Extending the school day is torture. We have done it.

Extending the school year is not bad. However, I would expect a pay increase to match the number of days.

We have a week off in October, two weeks off in December, and a week off in April. Kids get about 8 weeks off in summer. Teachers get about 6. We still have a huge loss of skill during the summer months.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2015

You spoke the truth on every single point. ICAM.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2015

I'd say shorten the summer break to about4 weeks and extend the school day, adding about 3 hours with 1 of those being a break (or 2 half hour breaks).

Kids generally don't spend enough time studying. Keeping them from burning out is possible.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

Add 3 hours to the school day? What the [redacted]? Students should NOT be in school longer than an adult spends at a full time job.

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

How would we balance school/life with such a schedule? Kids learn better when there is a high incident of free play, social time, and family time.

For younger kids, you're suggesting they never see family or have free time.

Do you have research this will improve all aspects of a healthy life?

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 21, 2015

I am not in favor of an extended school day. I'd be fully in favor of a year round schedule with breaks spread out. I saw a district that does something like 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off, all year. It would be so helpful for summer slide.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2015

My kids already have an eight hour day. Longer would mean I am raising these kids.

In some cases, that might be a better option....

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

OK so kids get out at 6pm. So then teachers need probably 45 minutes to get home and then 45 minutes for dinner. This brings 7:30pm. When are they suppose to plan and prepare lessons for the students? The lessons planned will probably be very poor. I would rather focus on teachers improving their lessons then on having them work from dawn to well past dusk each day.

23. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2015

Many of the low SES districts have gone to longer school days (8-8.5 student contact hours) in my area. They say this is the only way they can hope to catch up to wealthier districts and that since the students start so far behind coming into K, they just need more instructional time. I think it is way too long for elementary kids. The increased behavior issues probably wouldn't make the extra academic time worth it. I think adding days to the school year could make a positive impact, but like others said, I'd be expected to be paid for the additional days. I know for certain that no school around here has the funding for that. My district actually got rid of summer school last year because they said the gains students made weren't large enough to justify the amount of money they spent on it.

24. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

Aug 22, 2015

I am pretty sure I learned more working on the farm during the summer, after school, etc. It was different stuff, it was hard work, but probably better for me and I am still in excellent physical condition, still know how to do a lot of stuff I never learned in school - stuff that most who did not get that learning still don't know.
    I can't believe the all of the administrators, principals, superintendents, politicans who don't get it. Or maybe they do.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2015

The OP hasn't been back. Original post seems very 'student-like' to me. :2cents: