Extending a belter's range

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by exfairy, May 4, 2017.

1. exfairy

exfairy New Member

May 4, 2017

So I'm a new singing teacher and have a pupil who's voice is naturally a belter and I feel like it could be a high belt but she can't sing higher than a C above middle C so I'm looking for ways to extend her range in a healthy manner. I'm not a belter so I'm struggling but any advice would be helpful? :)

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 4, 2017

How old is the student? I'd be very careful messing too much with her range until her voice has finished changing. I know my voice teachers in high school mostly worked with breathing, pitch, maybe a little with tone, and with technique (diction, etc.) with me because they wanted to be very careful with my voice. Especially if you don't have a tone of experience with belting, as doing so incorrectly can really damage a young voice. (Obviously I'm not an expert by any means, just speaking as a former voice student and the concerns my teachers always shared with me.)

4. exfairy

exfairy New Member

May 4, 2017

She's 18. Her voice is just naturally very chesty/belty and she barely has any head voice. Like a C and above sounds really strained. But I'm so sure she can sing higher. Would it be worth teaching her head voice instead or until I learn more?

5. XWordHobbyist

XWordHobbyist Rookie

Dec 11, 2017

She might have good belting capabilities, but I would caution against specializing her too soon. If she can't sing above high C (C4), that needs to be addressed before anything else. I recently began teaching a high school student in a similar situation, and by developing the head voice, a healthy belt/chest has come back around. Before she was really laying too much into it, which sounded kind of impressive, but not when she tried to sing anything with a range.