Extended Day Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms_C, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Feb 3, 2014

Our school starts extended day soon to help students who are on the bubble to pass the STAAR test in a few months. I am trying to find some fun ideas to keep my kids engaged. I teach 7th grade reading and really need to focus on summarizing, inference, and context clues. Anyone have games or something that they have used to keep everybody going. It is going to be a long day for kids and teachers alike. I will have about an hour or so with them.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2014

For inference, you could let the kids go through your personal trash. :) Of course, you'd carefully select your pieces of trash. Students would make inferences about you and your life based on what they find. Fun! You could also show students checks you've written (real or fake, doesn't matter). There are lots of inferences to made with those. For example, if one check is to Hallmark for six bucks and there is another check used the same day to Baby's R Us, they could infer I attended a babyshower. If you have designer checks, say for a sports team, they might infer you're a fan of that team...which is a good one because you could explain that no, you're not a fan but your spouse is. Helps demonstrate an inference isn't always correct.