Explosions at Boston Marathon Finish Line

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 15, 2013.

1. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 18, 2013

Cnn announced the FBI site has crashed.

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 18, 2013

I tried within 10 seconds of the special agent saying the URL during the press conference and got error messages. It didn't take long for the population of the world to crash their public information server. Looks like they need a beefier server.

3. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

As a grandfather and father I would love to lead a Vigilante mob of grandfathers and Fathers to cary out the execution (after the trial).
    It is times like this where I think the populous should "rise up and kill the serpent!" To kill an innocent 8th year old in the name of a political goal. Over the ages we have had many times where innocents have been killed,.. ...even in biblical times it had to stop!

4. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

One suspect dead, entire city and local suburbs (Watertown, Newton, Alston, Brighton...) in lockdown. Mass transit is closed, as are the colleges in the city. Everyone in the Greater Boston area has been advised to stay inside, not to open their dooors, and to stay away from the windows.

The suspects are brothers, 19 and 26 years old. They went on a crime spree before the shoot out that killed the older brother last night that cost an MIT police officer his life.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2013

Now there's a news story on the news right now about a lady who called authorities saying there's a suspicious-looking possible "bomb" right next her her home! :eek: This is in Watertown, MA. They've told everyone in the area to turn off their cell phones, etc. SCARY!

Woah, I wanted to someday go to Boston, but I don't know when that will be now! :(

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

Ms. I, there are millions of people who have intense hatred for the USA. It's possible that hundreds of "sleeper cells" are scattered across our country at this very moment just waiting for the right time to strike.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2013

True Major. The news is also saying that about 1 million people ae on lockdown in & around Boston. Flights, public transportation, schools, work...all cancelled. Everyone's told to stay home.

I love traveling & I plan to do so much more, including going abroad. I don't want the world to get so scary & dangerous like this, that myself & others are too afraid to go anywhere. :(

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 19, 2013

This whole thing has made me incredibly "homesick" for Boston, and I can't wait for them to get this mess cleared up so I can plan my next trip up there. It's been far too long! I'd feel safer there than I do where I live, with the headquarters of the Aryan Nation in my backyard...

9. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

I've heard unofficially that UMASS Dartmouth, 40 miles southeast of Boston, is being evacuated. Suspect 2 is a second year student there according to the local news.

They've also just reported that an explosive device was intentionally detonated on Commonwealth Ave early this morning.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

Of the two suspects that were pictured in the videotape from near the bomb site, the older brother was killed in a shootout with police at MIT last night. The younger brother has been on the loose, but the area where he lives in Watertown is surrounded and it appears that a 'surrender or die' situation may be taking place. They don't know if there are accomplices.

The brothers are Russian by heritage, their father is still in Russia, one of the brothers was born in Kyrzistan (sp), both had lived in U.S. for at least 10 years. They are suspected of belonging to an Al Queda affiliate, possibly out of Chechnya (sp) or Dhagistan (sp).

Classmates of the younger brother, the one still on the run at this point, saw nothing unusual about him, called him normal and an average guy who was well-liked. Lately, however, there were a few signs of suspicious affiliation on their social media postings.

The uncle of the young men is being interviewed in Maryland. He calls them losers, filled with hatred because they could not assimilate, but denies any religious group affiliation. He says he is ashamed of the nephews but says his brother, the boys' father, had little control of them. The uncle had not spoken with them in the last 4 years.

The older brother who was killed, was enrolled at U of Mass at Amherst.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

I'm going to Boston in November. This obviously isn't something that goes on every day. It could have happened in any city. If anything, Boston will be safer in the next year or so.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

I saw the press conference with the uncle. My heart went out to him. He seems like a stand up guy who's beyond angry that his relatives did something like this. I pray that his neighbors don't take any anger out on him.

13. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

Sounds like there is a lot of conflicting information. I'm just outside of Boston and getting local news feeds, which are also constantly changing. No real information is being given about the older brother here- the focus is on the younger one and the people who know him. The last briefing that aired 15 minutes ago or so stated that the brothers separated last night after the carjacking. We're awaiting a briefing from the governor, but the reporters have been led to believe that the suspect was not in the house in Watertown. Mass transit is still closed, but taxi service with in Boston has resumed. Apparently, border police have been put on alert.

UMASS Dartmouth has been evacuated. The younger brother is a current student there.

14. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

Not much information given in the latest briefing held at 12:30. Lock down order stays in effect for now. They're hoping to have another briefing with more information in an hour or so. There will be a controlled explosion in Cambridge this afternnon. Sounds like it is at the family residence there. The PD said it was to make sure the area was safe for further police investigation of the building.

Our breaking news..."White House Situation Room Has Been Activated". Not sure what that means...

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

On the Today show, Savannah first reported UMass Dartmouth, then revised it to UMass Amherst.

16. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

All of our national coverage has been replaced with local coverage. The older brother could have been a student there. We're not getting any information about him at all, other than the type of injuries he had when he arrived at the hospital. It feels like the any information given is very controlled.

The whole week has been scary. My sons' friends have been locked down on their campuses for hours and others have been evacuated or placed on limited lock downs because of suspicious packages. It's going to be a while before they feel safe again. So sad...

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

My heart goes out to you and all of Boston, glen.

18. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

Thank you. Let's hope for a resolution without any more casualties.

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

Glen, I'm glad to hear you're safe. I'm sure this is a very stressful time for everybody in your area. I hope they find this guy very soon so you guys can try to get back to normal.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2013

:hugs: glen...

I read on Facebook just a minute ago that the guy pictured in the wheelchair that lost his leg was standing beside the older brother who dropped the bag right by him and even looked him in the eye. After he got out of surgery, he identified him. I can't imagine.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

Oh how awful.

The older brother evidently spent 6 months or so last year in Russia. He considered himself Chechnian (sp). The father of the two was interviewed in Russia and he says his sons were framed.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

They are now saying U. Mass Dartmouth is now being inundated with police cars, helicopters, swat team. The older brother was seen since the bombing on the campus, in the gym.

23. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2013

I had family on lockdown all day today. The early morning chase went right past their house. The brothers live a few blocks from them. Scary, scary stuff.

NPR had an interview with a friend of the younger brother. She sounded so confused that her friend had done this thing.

I hope they find him soon.

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 19, 2013

New activity and gun fire in Boston area. Wonder if the stand down was a ploy to pull him out.

25. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

Fox News is reporting that second suspect is "down."

26. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Apr 19, 2013

NBC is reporting that they just captured the second suspect alive!

27. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

The suspect has been arrested ...... Hope they can extract complete information before he passes on to another life ........

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2013

In custody!

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2013

[​IMG]

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2013

I'm actually quite surprised that he allowed himself to be captured alive. I thought for sure he would commit suicide before that happened.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2013

Same here. I wonder if he was caught by surprise and just wasn't equipped. Then again, he knew he was being pursued.

32. glen

glen Companion

Apr 19, 2013

So relieved it's over. May everyone touched begin healing.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

Amen, glen.

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 20, 2013

Certain lines of discussion were becoming too political. Please keep this discussion to either the facts of the case or the expression of sympathy and support to those affected.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 20, 2013

I'm glad they were found, but wish like everyone else, that it had ended more peacefully.

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2013

I have to say that it's a little frustrating to be told we can't express any opinions about this major event. I really think the political flag is being thrown unjustly. Saying I understand how the system works but still wish the murderer was dead? Not really political. And it's just not this thread that I feel has been overly monitored and edited in the recent couple of months...

Just time for another break, I guess.

37. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 20, 2013

I was listening to the police scanner when they surrounded the boat.

It sounded like he was out of it from the bloodloss he suffered as a result of the shootout because of MIT.

Since the thermal imaging + visual sight by officers saw him lying down, then when they deployed the first flashbang, he suddenly sat up, then laid back down.

38. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Apr 20, 2013

I'm very glad this is all over. This has been one hell of a week. This, Waco...a bomb threat at CSULA..what the hell is going on in the world?

39. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2013

I understand how you feel, JustMe. I really haven't seen anything "political" in this thread. Maybe "expressing opinions" is a thing of the past .... political or not.

40. physteach

physteach Companion

Apr 20, 2013

Clearly, I feel so much sympathy/empathy/pain for the victims, but I also feel a lot of sadness for Jahar. It seems so much like his brother led him to this and now he will forever pay for it. Seeing him with all the medical equipment on him just made me sad for him.