Explosion in West, TX

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms_C, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Apr 18, 2013

I know we have a bunch of teachers up here in North Texas, does anyone know if any are near West? I'm in Waco, about 15 miles from the blast site. I heard it last night, but just thought it was thunder since we had a bad batch of thunderstorms moving through the area.

If you would also keep one of our former teachers in your prayers. Her home was destroyed in West and they have lost 3 family members. Thank God, they were having dinner with their inlaws last night and were not at home.

Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2013

Prayers to your area...
    Terrible week.:(

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

It's just so terribly sad. I've seen the explosion several times and each time it's difficult to comprehend. One child is heard in a video saying, "I can't hear!" and I think about how scary that must have been! Much less everyone in even closer proximity.

I don't know anyone here who was directed impacted.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

I've watched non-stop news on Fox News and CNN covering the horrific Boston explosion. Seems like these networks aren't giving much coverage to the West, TX explosion where up to 35 people were killed (according to the West, TX mayor). The number of dead could be much higher. Very sad event in this small Texas town. :(:(

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 19, 2013

CNN had almost non-stop coverage of West yesterday, but switched back to Boston when the manhunt started.

ETA: The man hunt in Boston has the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country totally locked down, which impacts a tremendous number of people.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

One of our formerly regular AtoZ members has family missing and at least one other family member who's home has been destroyed. If you remember Scienceteach82, please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Edited because I just found her updates: Cousin found alive. Aunt is hurt but will be okay. Cousin lost several friends.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2013

There's lots of unfortunate things that happen simultaneously throughout the world. You also don't see the recent Venezuelan elections being covered. The media chooses. It doesn't mean any event is more significant, more tragic or more important than another.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2013

Yes, but I can see the US news stations not giving coverage to the elections in Venezuela. This, on the other hand, is another national event.

I'm glad to hear st's family is okay. Everyone affected will definitely remain in my prayers.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2013

My dad called me not long after the explosion. He lives about 20 minutes from West. I grew up in the area. He felt the explosion from his house. I have a friend that works for West EMS. Luckily, he is ok, but has lost friends in the blast. I haven't heard a number given, just that it's between 5-15.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 19, 2013

:hugs: stg.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 19, 2013

I have family in the area, but no one close enough to be hurt. Hugs STG!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 19, 2013

I grew up about forty miles from West. Some of my friends live close but were not hurt.

My mom wouldn't let my dad go with the local (volunteer) fire department when they got called out. I'm glad he didn't go as he is 72 and doesn't need to go. I know it's hard on him because he wants to, but it is very physically taxing to fight regular fires, much less explosions with search and rescue. I think he was going today to work as a dispatcher.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2013

"Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Jason Reyes said Friday it was "with a heavy heart" that he confirmed 12 bodies had been pulled from the area of the plant explosion."

Prayers go forth to Texas

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 20, 2013

They quickly adjusted that number to 14, as well as 60 people missing. They think most of those are okay, they just haven't checked in officially.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 20, 2013

I have fond memories of West, TX. Over the decades I've driven tens of thousands of miles on Interstate 35 ........ Dallas to Waco, to Austin, to San Antonio and back. (I haven't been on I-35 in years now).

Frequently I would make a stop in West, TX (off I-35) to pick up Kolaches. This town (as do several others) bills itself as the Kolache Capitol of the world. Don't remember the name of the place we stopped to purchase these pastries..... Hope it's still there.......

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 20, 2013

The Czech Stop wasn't harmed in the blast.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

Just found out that one of the firefighters killed was the son of my hometown church's former organ player. :(