Exploring Computer Science (ECS)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 30, 2020.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 30, 2020

Has anyone taught this class? I will be teaching this class for the first time ever. Any pointers or advice will help! And thanks in advance!

3. HN3

HN3 Rookie

May 31, 2020

Have you looked into code.org, vidcode.com or codehs.com?

I am not a coder but some of my middle school students like coding. I have gave them an option to do come coding using vidcode.com and codehs.com. I have not used code.org.

Vidcode.com and codehs.com have free options but the advanced features are paid versions. Vidcode.com has Intro to Javascript as of March. I have not looked at what they offer now.

Codehs.com has a lot of middle and high school courses and the basic features are free.

I believe all the above can sync with Google Classroom.

Best wishes to you.

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2020

If it's a state-mandated course, Pi, you might try looking on your state department of education website for content standards or supporting docs relating to this course specifically and to computer science courses generally. Pay attention to scope and sequence - that is, you want to figure out what the scope or coverage of THIS course is supposed to be and how it fits in with (and should or shouldn't duplicate) the courses that follow.

Try finding the websites of the local/regional/state associations of computer science teachers and rummaging through them in search of references to this course or similar ones. Again, pay attention to scope and sequence.

You could search the web for lesson plans - if I were doing this, I'd start with this search string:
    lesson plan ___ "exploring computer science"​
    and I'd fill the blank with the name or URL of the district; if that got me no good hits, I'd fill in the county or other regional authority, and then the state.

futuremathsprof likes this.