Explaining first person vs third person

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 10, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 10, 2010

I'm having such a hard time with this.

I've been explaining to my kids that authors can tell a story in 1st person (using pronouns like I, me, we, us...) or 3rd person (they, them, hers...) but half my kids don't have a clue. :help:

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 10, 2010

Could you use Diary of a Wimpy kid maybe? To illustrate first person? "Greg is telling the story, this is first person--"

I don't know, that's a tough one! :)

4. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

May 10, 2010

I had the same trouble last year, so this year I tried something new and I'm proud to say it worked well!

I paired students together (only 2 in a group) and had one person tell a short story and gave them about 1 minute. Then each of them got out a piece of paper and rewrote the story...naturally the person telling the story is going to use I, me, etc., while the other person is going to use his/her name, he/she, and so on.

After they did this once, each of them read their stories aloud and students were getting the idea. Then they switched roles and did it one more time. This time as the students read their story I asked the other ones "first or third" and nearly all got it! By the end of the class period 95% of the students could distinguish between first and third person.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 10, 2010

Good idea, MrsH!!

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 10, 2010

We struggled with this too. Here's how we did it:

1st person, the narrator is part of the story
    3rd person, the narrator is not part of the story

Have your kids imagine a fish bowl-- the fish's perspective is the 1st person, outside the fish bowl is 3rd person

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

MrsH~that is a great idea!!!

I was going to suggest maybe telling the students that in first person, it's the first time the story was heard..meaning the person is telling the story (I, we, me, us....) and that third person means that the story is being told by someone else (they, he, she, etc).

8. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

May 10, 2010

Thank you both, I hope it works well in your classrooms!

9. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 10, 2010

I used pictures. I would show the same scene. One with the first person (you literally are seeing a scene from their eyes) and then the same scene from an outside perspective (third person) Sometimes, the pictures help because they can visualize it better. Have them imagine themselves in the situation from 1st and third.