Expired License

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WannaTeach, Aug 22, 2010.

1. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Can a teacher get a teaching position if the license has expired? Has this ever happened to anyone? Can a person renew their license personally if they have not been in the classroom in a while?

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 22, 2010

I have this question too as I will be moving back to my homestate soon. My license expires next year and I don't have the funds to take classes = ( at this time. I highly doubt they would hire you without a valid license BUT they might give you a grace period to get it renewed...?

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2010

Check your state's DOE website. That's a common enough question that it will likely be in the FAQ's. Good luck!

5. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I was just offered a college professor position at a local college, but discussions concerning my license having expired resulted in the offer being retracted.

I also know that the license can be renewed after additional testing. For me, it would require additional instruction then another test, all of which take time.

Classes begin next week, so I did not have enough time to get up to speed.

No worries though, I have other things brewing.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

With the push for Highly Qualified, I can't see a school hiring someone w/o a valid teaching license. Depending on the state, it should be just a matter of paying a fee or taking additional tests.

7. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

My cert. expired. I had to take 15 college credits to renew it. Check your state's office of public instruction's website.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 23, 2010

Are you a new teacher? I know in Louisiana once you pass your evaluation period (whatever the state decides that is at the moment) you are given a lifetime license. I know of a few teachers who have the beginning license (3 years) that are facing expiration because the state changed their new teacher program (again). They have been granted a waiver by the state for renewal. I agree with the others, definitely contact your state department.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 23, 2010

You can try getting a position at a private school. :)

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I was going to suggest a private school too. We have one teacher who doesn't have a state license and another whose license expired in 1998.