Experiencing a trauma

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starivy, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Oct 13, 2006

I recently expereinced one of the worst expereinces of my 25 year old exsistence. I don't really want to go in detail about the expereince. Since this traumatic event, I have been feeling really lost. I have always been a feeling-oriented person, meaning my emotions and feelings were always there to guide me. For example, today I am going out with a friend to a theme park. To me in the past that would be super exciting and I would have been thinking about it and feeling the excitement of spending the day enjoying myself. However, I have no emotions about it! I'm not excited at all and that is very uncharacteristic of my former self. I almost feel non-human, because it's almost like my feelings have gone numb. It is so weird. I look like the same person on the outside but on the inside I feel like my inner self was changed and damaged in a way. My sense of self, feelings, happiness, and excitement for life have gone away. I am not suicidal but just feel really numb. Is this normal after expereincing a trauma and will it go away? Also, I have alot of family and friends supporting me but I still feel so lonely because I was the only one that expereinced the trauma. It is such a weird expereince I am having. Can anyone relate to this? Thank you

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2006

Sorry for thia experience that has you so upset. First, nothing will just "go away". When you ignore things, they usually resurface. That is why you should seek professional help to guide you. Please do it. You sound like you are repressing your feelings about the event, and that is dangerous. Speak to somone soon and let us know what happens.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2006

I completely agree with MissFrizzle. While feeling numb may be a protective response to the incident(s), in the long run your reaction to the trauma will come out - but probably not in ways that you would wish or could control. You do need to get help about this. Hugs to you.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2006

Note, however, Starivy, that you're not being abnormal. It's normal to need help in the wake of a major trauma, and very wise to get it.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2006

I'm sorry about the experience you've had. It's normal to feel that way, but not normal after several months have passed. If you feel like being around loving & supporting friends & relatives, do that, but also make time for yourself. Take up yoga or some other activity that you used to love. Do you attend church? If so, you could talk to your pastor or another trusted adult within the church. Otherwise, after a certain period of time (several months), if you still feel the same way, seek professional help. This doesn't mean you're abnormal or anything. I think everyone on this earth needs a therapist to talk to at some point or another in certain phases of their lives.