Experiences with Acupuncture or Ayurvedic Medicine...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

...as an alternative treatment for Major Depressive Disorder?

I've been under the care of psychiatrist and psychologist since age 26. My treatment plan includes the antidepressant Effexor XR and weekly visits to the therapist.

All was going well... Lots of caring friends, wonderful husband, great career choice... etc. Took awhile to get there, but it happened... and then I got pregnant.

Which is an absolute blessing.

5 days ago was my last dose of Effexor, as my psychiatrist worked with my OB to safely wean (ween?) me off of it.

According to one of my baby books, a pregnant woman's hormones "shield" her from depressive episodes.

My shield is broken. :( Or didn't come in yet. :(

So I am asking, has anyone ever experienced positive results with alternative treatments?

I am exercising daily.

I am eliminating foods from my diet that can cause sugar spikes sending my moods into overdrive.

I am drinking so much water.

I am journaling.

I am staying busy.

I am seeing my therapist more often than usual.

But I am very sad too often for my liking.

And, slowly but surely, the worries are setting in. :(

So, if anyone has ever had experience with managing depression symptoms w/o the help of medicine please, please, please let me know.

Thank you.

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 3, 2010

I just came from seeing the therapist for the first time and she diagnosed me with depression. She wants to put me on medication and you are mentioning my biggest fear... what happens when I can't take the medication?

Does your weekly therapy include cognitive therapy? I want to try cognitive therapy first before medication.

I'm interested to hear what people experiences are with alternative treatments..

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

Yes, my therapist specializes in cognative-behavior therapy. :)

That, coupled with medication, has been a true Godsend for me.

At one point at the height of my illness I was on eleven different psychiatric meds. :(

This was during my 3rd year teaching and I had to take medical leave, as I simply could not function -- partially due to the severity of my depression, but also due to the sedating qualities of a few of the meds I was on.

At this point, I do very well with two and the therapist.

Let me know how it goes... and please ask any questions you might have.

Hoping you feeling better. :hugs:

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

It looks like you are doing all the right things to help yourself feel better. I'm a strong believer in cognitive-behavior therapy (have a BA in Psychology so remember learning all about it) and am also seeing a counselor to talk about anything I need to.

I remember my college teachers/textbooks always seem to mention cog. behavior (the right therapist!) + medicine (the right kind for you!) can make HUGE changes.

My dr. had me tested for 5-MTHF to see if I have the gene defect and sure enough 1 of my 2 genes is defective that is in charge of making folate. If we are deficient in folate, that causes our neurotransmitters to also be affected. Ask about that gene test- it may be what you need.

I've been taking Thorne's 5-MTHF for a few weeks now and feel a lot better in addition to seeing a new counselor for about 2 months. I've had depression before so I know what it feels like and encourage you to reconsider if you're clicking with the current therapist you see.

Exercise, the right supplements, healthy good for you food, praying/positive thinking, counselor, journaling, and being kind to yourself all help out a lot. It takes time to balance the neurotransmitters.

I see a nautropath doctor and he had me answer a questionnaire and based on my answers, could see which neurotransmitters were affected.

You're welcome to PM me if you'd like to talk to me on the phone. I'd be happy to listen for free.

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2010

I had anxiety and some depression after losing my mom and I felt just awful. I didnt want to go on medicine so I started acupuncture and loved it, it really did help, my husband saw a change in me after a few weeks as well. The only thing my insurance didn't cover it.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I did accupuncture about 6 years ago for depression and it was AMAZING! I went once a week for about 5 weeks and then went once a month for a few months. I've never felt better in my life.

Unfortunately my insurance didn't cover it, so I couldn't afford to keep it up.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

:love:Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 3, 2010

How much a visit, if you don't mind me asking? Does anyone out there have an insurance that covers it? I don't think mine does.

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I went to a medical doctor who did accupuncture and he was $90 an hour. Each session was an hour.

I wish I could still afford to do it. I have never felt as good as I did when I did that, even on medicine.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 3, 2010

This was how much mine cost as well. He is a medical doctor and felt more comfortable that he was an internist 1st.

12. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

Acupuncture really helped my DD with her daily migraines. There was significant improvement after one treatment, and she only required 3 treatments all together. I think she paid about $60 for each treatment, but it was well worth it. I would recommend that anyone try it for migraines.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 4, 2010

14. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2010

Me too. Made me feel comfortable that he understood the illness from a western medical perspective as well as from the accupuncture perspective