Experienced teachers please help me - the boys in my class are disturbing everyone

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by TheBee, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Sep 10, 2012

Hi there
    This is my second year of Montessori teaching and up till now things have gone really well despite the challenges I've had at the school/s I've been in. I moved countries and just started a new job at a new school. The environment is great and we have all the equipment. Only, I've inherited a class of mostly 3 - 4 year old boys, only a few girls. There was no record-keeping done, so I'm starting from scratch assessing where the children are and what they can work with. On top of that we have a serious grace and courtesy problem, plus the children have not learned any boundaries previously. They all come from privileged backgrounds, so they "get away with murder" at home. We are 3 weeks into the new school year and I feel like giving up. Plus I'm pregnant so the stress is just not worth it for me. I've tried to be firm with the boys, and get them working. When they are alone they are fine. But because there are 8 of them, it's difficult to control everybody, and still do the work. They are VERY loud, disruptive, destructive, and hurt each other and the other children. Just when I finally get one or two of them to do the right thing, the others begin to be disruptive and it;s a chain reaction. I find myself starting to shout and become most frustrated - which I know is not good. How can I get these boys to listen and do the right thing. I've tried "time out" I've tried keeping the "ring leader/main trouble maker" inside for a bit during playtime, I've tried working one on one, I've tried getting them to help. But I just don't know what to do anymore. Please can I have some advice?:help:

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

The first thing I would do is assign each one of them their own workspace initially. That will keep them away from each other. Then, I would tell them that while they are indoors, they are not to be working with each other AT ALL. You have to restore order to the environment before anything else will take hold. And, since they've not internalized that order, you have to do it for them externally until they are able to do it internally.

Next thing I'd do is to tell them that they have to show me what kind of work they can do. I'd be very specific with them and tell them what I was looking for....choosing work independently, cleaning up after themselves, putting it away appropriately, etc. I'd also have them start helping younger children, but not the children that they get loud and boisterous with. Make sense? I'd have them prove to me that they have earned the right to be in the space and work where and with whom they want to and right now they're not doing that. They need external controls since they have no internal controls when it comes to this.

Have you talked to your director at all? Is s/he any kind of support at all?

4. TheBee

TheBee New Member

Sep 13, 2012

Thanks so much Tracy. Your adice is helpful. I have talked to our director but she has not been helpful in this way - she just said I must do whatever I think is best, when I asked for guidance. And then she said "yes, I know, these boys are a problem" - not very helpful.
    Thanks again :)

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2012

Anytime! I'm happy to help, so let me know if you have any other questions. :)