Experienced Teachers NO Jobs!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vsimpkins, Apr 28, 2013.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 28, 2013

I am an experienced teacher and I have had several reject letters and I feel that they only want fresh outs to pay them cheaper. Don't understand and have been seeking a job for a while. Trying to stay positive, but it is difficult. Any suggestions???

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2013

Are you willing to relocate? There are many jobs in Vegas.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2013

Everything I find wants an experienced teacher, but they will only start them on step 1.

How many years of experience do you have?

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 28, 2013

I was wondering how many years you have too. A couple of years would probably put you at an advantage, but more than that would be a disadvantage. In my state districts are required to start you on the correct step for up to 8 years of experience as long as the experience is in a public school.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 28, 2013

I changed districts with nineteen years on the books. Keep looking.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 28, 2013

I'm only seeing experienced teachers with jobs in this area, but I know new grads do get lucky now and then. The youngest/newest ones at my school (and the several others I have been in this year) are in their 40s, and have been teaching for at least 15 years. I've asked, and some have changed schools and districts within the last few years. I've only seen newer teachers in special ed. I don't think you have less of a chance than others, but the market is very tough right now.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 28, 2013

You're in SoCal - I don't think it has anything to do with experience level, especially since many districts in CA will only pay starting at step 6 or 7 even if a teacher has many more years of experience than that. The job market down here is brutal. It's more likely that jobs are getting filled by teachers who have been laid off from that district over the past several years. They'll hire those people before they'll hire from the outside.

9. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Apr 30, 2013

:yeahthat:

10. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 30, 2013

I agree with you! I was working for 6 years and the year my emergency expired (need one more CSET test to complete) I was diagnosed with a brain tumor and when I was in the hospital (before surgery) principal came to tell me I didn't have a job. So it's been 10 years now and I have been subbing for 3 school districts and a charter school. I have excellent comments from teachers and I have had those new teachers that don't appreciate how I look outside the box and teach that way. I have had an interview with the charter school and hope it works out. I like their discipline plan LOVE and LOGIC. I see the problems in public school education and how the teachers and students are so frustrated with being pushed to the maximum limits. Praying this will me my year for a place to work at and teach children.:cool:

11. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 30, 2013

I have 16 years experience, but I would start at step 1 to have a job.

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Apr 30, 2013

If I relocate to LV then I would never be able to return to CA. Not sure if that would be the right move for me. Keeping my options, but thanks for the information. It's good to know. ;)