Experienced teachers - Did you ever feel this way?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teachn2learn, Aug 6, 2008.

1. teachn2learn

teachn2learn Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Hello -

I guess I should first give you some background.
    I recently graduated and I am currently seeking a position. I went on my first interview today and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I have no idea if I have a shot of getting the job...there are other candidates. I student taught in 3rd grade. The school that I ST at offered me a long term sub position with a promise to hire me when they were able.

I am so afraid that I am not cut out to be a teacher. The job that I interviewed for is for 4th grade with 35 students. When I found this out, I was terrified ( I have only been used to 3rd grade - 23 kids max.) I don't think I could handle that position if it were offered to me. I knew it was a 4th grade position but I had no idea there was 35 students. I am leaning toward taking the long term sub position at the school I ST'd at for a variety of reasons - familiarity with staff, school, grade level.

My insecurities seem to grow as the days pass. I really wonder if I am cut out to be a teacher. I have had a hard time with teaching the content. I feel so stupid. I feel like, "This is 3rd grade! I should know this!" I don't know if it is just anxiety and insecurity that will go away with time or if this is a legitimate concern. I have received average to above average scores during student teaching. I have been told by my master teachers that I was doing fine. I can't shake the feeling that they were just being nice. I really wish that if I weren't cut out to do this, someone would let me know.

My questions is, is this normal? Did any of you experience this much insecurity and self doubt when you started out? If so, how did you handle it? I am so paranoid. I feel like I am a total failure. I am really thinking about looking at different occupations to pursue. I love working with the kids, I feel really good when I am with them. I remember during student teaching that although I stumbled a lot, I had a gut feeling that if I stuck it out I could really be an effective educator. Now I feel as if I have been way too cocky.

Please help...I am such a mess. I am constantly worrying about taking this sub position but I have reservations (what if I set the room up and they hire someone else, what if the sub service pulls me out of the school into another school, what if I end up being a long term sub the whole year? What if this school isn't being straight with me?) I really like the principal and the AP. I would hope they wouldn't do anything but like I said I am a little paranoid.

Thanks for spending your time with me.

T2L

3. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

i felt the same way. honestly, you don't know until you try. i was so scared my first year. i made some great contacts at the school, became friends with my teammates and took a deep breath. also, your mentor SHOULD be there to help you when you need it (mine wasn't...so make sure you have a good one). some mentors will plan with you and help you out big time...but you have to be willing to ask.

about the job...i would take the sub position. but i would talk to the P and AP first. ask them the questions you posted. tell them you want it, but are nervous about being pulled to go elsewhere...not nervous about the job. if you sub the whole year, that would be GREAT! we just hired a sub that did that. have the P come in to see a great lesson you have so he/she knows you CAN do this (and you CAN!). i don't think anyone can or should handle 35 4th graders.

keep us posted on what you decide. this forum has helped me TONS and many others as well. when you get the job, come here for ideas, to vent, or to celebrate a success. we all have been there.

good luck
    LC

4. teachn2learn

teachn2learn Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Thanks LC. You have replied to a previous post and I appreciate your support. BTW your website is great and very helpful, I added it to my favorites. Thanks for helping me not feel so alone.

T2L

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2008

I had doubts about managing behavior when I started out, even though I went into teaching as a mother and for a second career. You will find your own style for that.

Content may seem like a lot, but that you can definitely prepare for. Don't expect to know everything, but expect to put in the time to figure it out. I had never heard of front end estimation before I taught fourth grade, but I got some materials, asked my mentor and other teachers, and knew what I was doing before I tried to teach it.

Your passion will get you through. I think teachers who come in with some nervous feelings are much better than those who think they have it all figured out. Good luck!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

It seems very overwhelming- there is so much to wrap your head around. I started to feel good about my teaching a few years into the game. Find someone you can lean on, a mentor of sorts, to help ease your worries. I've seen new teachers that have no care in the world and are horrible- so knowing that you're concerned shows you care. You can do it.

7. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Ah, yes.

I was a first year teacher last year. I had landed a new job in a new city and did not know the culture, the community, etc.
    Boy was I freaked out! I lost a lot of sleep before school started, getting my room ready and worrying. But the year went great. The only thing that I can suggest with a large class is to have a class management system in place. Talk to your mentor teachers and get some ideas. See what works. I changed management systems throughout the year as some things didn't work, and my kids would laugh and say "we're the guinea pigs, she's changing things up again to see what works."
    Hang in there- you'll know if it is meant to be.:up:

8. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I would and still do! 35 kids would scare the heck out of me! but Im sure that you will do just fine!

9. teachn2learn

teachn2learn Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Since I have you here I thought I would ask (don't worry about scaring me I am feeling a little better today :) -

I know what the best things about teaching are but what are some of the things (duties, paperwork, benefits) that you dislike about the teaching profession?

10. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

#1 dislike: cranky veterans that don't like kids anymore. They are toxic to your enthusiasm.

11. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

teachnlearn I know the feeling of I should know this. Even though I teach K, my daughter was in 3rd this past year. I had to go to her teacher and copy the teacher's editions because I had no clue.

As far as my dislikes, I hate all the paperwork. It seems like every year they add some new piece of paper that has to be completed. I also hate that I do not have a lot of planning time. During my first year I took so much home. I do not now after three years of teaching. I have had to learn to prioritize and know that what does not get done will be there tomorrow. I only complete the musts before I leave and then spread everything else out throughout the week.

12. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Dislike #1: Teachers who gossip and can't stay out of situations that do not involve them. The world does not always need your input and sometimes it works better to be quiet.

Dislike #2: Teachers who think they know everything already (it doesn't matter by what method, experience or fresh out of college) and aren't open to an honest discussion of methods and rationale for why something is being done in the classroom. You should have a reason for what you're doing and that reason is not because you've always been doing it that way or because it is new and improved.

13. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I think I would take the long term sub job. This way if you dont like it maybe you can get out.