Experience??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Proud Mom, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Hello,

I will be going into my professional semester and student teaching beginning in January 09. I am a non-traditional student (36 yrs. old) who started back to school gradually while working as a salon owner/stylist. I also have two daughters who keep me quite busy. My concern is that when I am being interviewed and asked about my experiences with children and those extra "things" that make you stand out like Troop leader, cheerleader advisor, sunday school teacher, etc....I don't have those extras to tell. I have had a lot of experiences through my classes, but I just don't have the time to commit to the extras right now. I help as a parent volunteer as much as I can for different events and activites, but is that enough?? My hope is that more emphasis will be on seeing and hearing the passion I have for teaching, how I would handle certain situations, classroom management, lesson planning and instruction, etc. My schedule is only going to get busier as I move into student teaching. What did you feel your interview focused on and do you have any suggestions on how I should answer questions about the extras that I don't really have much of?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2008

I think you are ahead of the game in that you are older, more mature and a mom.... Yes, I do that that counts for more than we would like to beleive. You bring so much life experience into the classroom just from being a mom. I think you should emphasize the balance in your life. I don't think it will matter if you can devote time to extras as much as showing that you are committed and can handle the job ahead of you.

4. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Thank you so much...being a mom does provide real life experiences that I continually learn and grow from and a lot of what I have learned as a parent will help me as a Teacher. I feel better already :) Thanks again!

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

You already have the skill of time management. Think about your mom skills and turn them into teaching assets: two kids, so you are an effective behavior manager/conflict resolution/can think on your feet/make snap decisions & follow through, you're coming into teaching later so you're dedicated, you work as a stylist so you're friendly, outgoing & a team player, etc. I was a late comer too and it was the maturity that helped. I made a list of what I did as a mom and then figured a way to make it a positive. Good luck!

6. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

Thanks Trinda! I have been told so much that I can't just rely on my mom experience, which I understand, but it has allowed me to acquire some great traits and abilities that will carry over into my teaching. You made some great connections that I had lost sight of... thanks again!!

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

:lol: Hey, that's what other moms are for. Someone told me to do that. I don't remember who, but I'm glad I could pay it forward. :2up:

8. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jun 20, 2008

I don't get a lot of questions about the "extras" that I have done. In fact, I am in the same boat as you. I am 33, got my degree in '98stayed home with my kiddos and I am now entering the job market. When I intervew, I always bring up the fact that I have 4 children. I also try to relate things to parenting...ie why it is so important to follow through with what you say, establishing boundaries, etc...I think the fact that I am more mature and a mom helps me beat out some of those not so mature kids out of college. Also, I have also found that when I tell parents of students that I have four children, they treat me different because now we can relate to one another and it makes our relationship better. That's another thing that I bring up in interviews.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2008

I got my degree in Dec at the age of 35. I also have children and was not able to do extra things at school with them. I have not been asked about this on the 4 interviews I've had since completing my certification. I think it's one of those things that it's great to be able to talk about if you do have it, but not a huge deal if you don't. My work experience however was in pre-k and HR so that's a bit more related to classroom teaching (I always try to point out all the "teaching" I did with adults as a HR manager).

Good luck with student teaching. That was the toughest for me as a mom. No salary and still no time to volunteer at the kids school!

10. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 20, 2008

Proud Mom,

Once you do get your first teaching job, I'm going to tell you one huge advantage you'll have over "new" 23 year old teachers -- parents will assume, because of your age, that you have been teaching for quite a while, and that you are "new to the school" not "new to teaching." It can take a lot of the first year pressure off.

I feel bad for the really young-looking first year teachers, because there is always some parent who thinks that inexperienced means unqualified. It's a crock, but it happens to a lot of new teachers.

11. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Jun 20, 2008

The principal at my triplets school said he would consider a mom over a new college grad in hiring. He believes the life experience is invaluable. I think it is important to really get involved in your student teaching. Go to workshops, frequent the teachers lounge, volunteer at the school fairs, etc. I was worried about the same thing in my last interview. Not one question was asked about my involvement with kids outside of student teaching. My worry was not being able to add college involvement on my resume. I was a non-traditional student also and only had time to focus on my studies. It is good you are already thinking about the interview process before student teaching. You will be fine!

12. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

Thanks to all who have replied to my thread :2up: It is great to hear from others who are/were non-traditional students and other moms...GO MOMS! I appreciate your time, encouragement, and words of wisdom. I don't post a lot, but I am on here reading every chance I get because the information is priceless. Thanks again!!

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 20, 2008

That is absolutely true! Parents need a connection, so I always mention my kids and how I helped raise my disabled brother.

At one school, we had a bunch of new teachers. It also went up to 6th grade and some of those kids looked older than the teachers. I remember one young teacher who was in the hall. I came out and told him to get to his room--he was a teacher. I felt so bad! :wub: