Experience??

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kem, Feb 1, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Feb 1, 2007

I graduated in Dec. with an elem. ed/early childhood degree. I just finished student teaching a couple of weeks ago, and am going to be subbing for the rest of the semester. Recently, a city near mine approved the addition of 4K to the district beginning in the fall. I will most likely apply for one of the positions. Besides subbing in the local school districts, do you think it would be beneficial for me to sub in area daycares as well? I realize that daycare is nothing like 4K, but I'm just curious if having additional early childhood experience would be beneficial. I had a clinical and student teaching placement with 4s, but most of my experience with children has been K and up. Any thoughts?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2007

As long as it is a reputable center, then I say any additional hands on experience you can get would be helpful. There are also some daycare center's that have a K program. Not sure if any are in your area, but we have a few.

4. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Feb 1, 2007

I would think that subbing in elementary schools would be more valuable to you and to your future principal. You can find out what grade levels you prefer. It would also be great for making connections in a school you might end up working in. If the principal already knows you s/he is more likely to feel comfortable hiring you.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2007

I agree if you want to eventually stay in the upper grades or K, subbing would be more beneficial than anything else at this point. However, if you are seeking that pre-K job, working in a preschool classroom, even if it's at a daycare center, will be beneficial because of the difference between elementary and preschool. 4K is different than daycare, but if the daycare is reputable and focuses on the same things the school will, it's not like it's a whole different world. You'll actually find many similarities if you find the "right" center.

The way I am reading it, it sounds like you are going to try and do both and looking to get whatever experience you can. ??? Subbing the rest of the year, then working in a daycare setting during the summer perhaps? I think that it's a smart move and like I said originally, any experience you can get will be most beneficial to you.

6. kem

kem Companion

Feb 1, 2007

Thanks so much for the advice. I asked my cooperating teacher from K, and she said absolutely not, but my advisor thought that it may be a good idea. The daycares that I would apply at do have a public 4K program through the district, so they are, in my opinion, reputable. Because I will be employed through the district, I assume that I will be eligible to sub in those 4K programs.