Experience?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Jun 21, 2019.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Jun 21, 2019

I have been struggling to find a teaching job since I graduated in Dec 2017. I took a lot of time off to make sure that I was available to substitute and go to interviews. I need something steady and just cant be off any longer. I am working at a preschool, and I am wondering if schools will like this type of experience or if they would prefer someone who has been in a school system subbing?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jun 21, 2019

Preschool is in my area fine for early elementary.

4. TeachCreateInspire

Jun 21, 2019

My certification is Kindergarten - 6th grade. That's my concern..

5. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 21, 2019

I am sorry it has been tough to find a job. Is your certification in early elementary? I think preschool experience is fine for that. Did you sub before you started at the preschool? That experience would be helpful too. I would also see if anyone you work for at the preschool has any kind of contacts with the schools. What kindergarten do most of the children go to? I would see if you can connect with that principal.

6. talknteach

talknteach Rookie

Jun 21, 2019

If you have subbing experience or upper elementary student teaching, I would craft two resumes- one for upper grades where you highlight subbing/ student teaching and one for lower grades where you highlight your preschool experience.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  7. TeachCreateInspire

Jun 21, 2019

I am certified for Kindergarten - 6th grade. I did substitute before this, and did a long term substitute job.

8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 21, 2019

Could you possibly add another credential to your license? It could give you more options as far as available teaching openings.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 22, 2019

I would probably look for another long-term sub position in an elementary. Unless you are hoping for a K-1 position, I'm not sure a preschool position will help, especially if it is an assistant job and not a PK teacher position.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 22, 2019

What whizkid said. Elementary jobs are incredibly sparse because elementary credentials are over-saturated in the job market.